Page 2 of 3
Quote by theogonia777
Wut. Anyway, this would be neoclassical.

well, thats badass. But then again I listen to symphonies
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Quote by Iblis92
well, thats badass. But then again I listen to symphonies

Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
The ability to improvise and create your own music based on a simple track/silence. /endl

P.S: being able to play fast doesn't make you good, it's the music that comes from your fingers and little piece of wood that's good music. I'm a shredder as well but my shred is based on feeling and emotion, not shredding up and sounding like a carnival of bullsh*t
Last edited by Dopemgs at Jan 4, 2012,
A good guitarist is one that can control their instrument and make the sounds that they want to be heard. Think of a guitarist as a singer.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
A good guitarist is one that can control their instrument and make the sounds that they want to be heard. Think of a guitarist as a singer.

He is right *thumbs up*
Passion would be a good start. I would prioritize note choices over technical prowess though (not trying to imply that technicality is not necessary, it obviously is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Iblis92
jesus christ... well, in my defense I didnt really think this was a topic people asked about that much.... but..well Sh**

You're kidding right?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by bingeandletgo

Thats some poetic shit right there.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Quote by Dopemgs
The ability to improvise and create your own music based on a simple track/silence. /endl

P.S: being able to play fast doesn't make you good, it's the music that comes from your fingers and little piece of wood that's good music. I'm a shredder as well but my shred is based on feeling and emotion, not shredding up and sounding like a carnival of bullsh*t

I remember seeing an interview with John frusciante a few years ago where he said something similar about the guitar being only a stick of wood.

He said something like: "I don't really like playing extremely fast because I feel that there is no need to show off how fast you can move your fingers up and down a stick of wood, it's about the emotions and music that you can create using the small stick of wood that's sitting in your hand".

It really inspired me back then And still does.
Quote by itamar100
I remember seeing an interview with John frusciante a few years ago where he said something similar about the guitar being only a stick of wood.

He said something like: "I don't really like playing extremely fast because I feel that there is no need to show off how fast you can move your fingers up and down a stick of wood, it's about the emotions and music that you can create using the small stick of wood that's sitting in your hand".

It really inspired me back then And still does.

I don't even like Frusciante but that's good advice.
Quote by Jyrgen
I don't even like Frusciante but that's good advice.

I an SOOO tempted to block you just cos you don't like frusciante!

Jks, but how can't you like him???????
Quote by itamar100
I an SOOO tempted to block you just cos you don't like frusciante!

Jks, but how can't you like him???????

He's annoying and a bit overrated.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

He's a little bit overrated I agree. But then again, so is Hendrix and Kurt Cobain.

I still love John's music though (for the most part)
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
To be able to write good riffs/songs, and to be able to improvise guitar solos and make them sound better than the original solo that you originally wrote for the studio album.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He's a little bit overrated I agree. But then again, so is Hendrix and Kurt Cobain.

I still love John's music though (for the most part)

He's not overrated!!!!!!!! He's a genius, everything he plays skips your brain and travels directly into your soul!

I just find that there are many artists/songs who who think you really like and make great music but then when you pause the music for a second you realize "wow, it's silent and it feels really good"! But frusciante is genuinely one of the only musicians I've ever known who I am genuinely disappointed when I have to stop listening to him, especially his solo stuff. The guitar work is worse in it but you feel every single airwaves of feeling coming from his soul. His music just has a special aura/vibe to it that very few people have.

It's all preference though
Last edited by itamar100 at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by itamar100
He's not overrated!!!!!!!! He's a genius, everything he plays skips your brain and travels directly into your soul!

I just find that there are many artists/songs who who think you really like and make great music but then when you pause the music for a second you realize "wow, it's silent and it feels really good"! But frusciante is genuinely one of the only musicians I've ever known who I am genuinely disappointed when I have to stop listening to him, especially his solo stuff. The guitar work is worse in it but you feel every single airwaves of feeling coming from his soul. His music just has a special aura/vibe to it that very few people have.

It's all preference though

Exactly.

Personally, I find his solo stuff a little on the pretentious side. I'm more of a fan of him in RHCP. I love that stuff.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by bingeandletgo

Except the part where if your voice sounds awful, you're likely going to sound awful.
Quote by Axelfox
Being able to sweep at 300bpm

Coming from you, I can't tell if that's supposed to be serious or not.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Maple syrup. It makes everything good.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

He's a pretty god damn solid guitarist, and I've only listened to one of his albums.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

As a guitarst or a songwriter? Listen to his solo albums and tell him he's overrated. He's hardly even rated as an artist of his own. And his solo stuff is ten times as good as RHCP ever way.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
He's a pretty good damn solid guitarist, and I've only listened to one of his albums.

He isn't a god though. Which might come as a shock to my friend, who thinks he's the be all, end all.

You can be good and still be overrated.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
As a guitarst or a songwriter? Listen to his solo albums and tell him he's overrated. He's hardly even rated as an artist of his own. And his solo stuff is ten times as good as RHCP ever way.

In YOUR opinion.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He isn't a god though. Which might come as a shock to my friend, who thinks he's the be all, end all.

You can be good and still be overrated.

In YOUR opinion.

Nah, that's a fact niggah.
A good mix of ability and charisma.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
shininess of guitar, outfit, stage moves, number of fan-girls, amount of cocaine consumer per hour, length of penis x girth, that is what makes a good guitarist.
john frusciante is overrated as a guitarist when speaking in context of his skill and playing abilities, but as a songwriter, he makes my top 5 without question
/john frusciante debate
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
john frusciante is overrated as a guitarist when speaking in context of his skill and playing abilities, but as a songwriter, he makes my top 5 without question
/john frusciante debate

+1. He's a fantastic songwriter first and foremost. Love his lyrics and singing aswell. He's far more than just a guitarist and I don't even see him as a guitarist anymore. He's a terrific artist.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
+1. He's a fantastic songwriter first and foremost. Love his lyrics and singing aswell. He's far more than just a guitarist and I don't even see him as a guitarist anymore. He's a terrific artist.

I'd agree with this. His solo stuff is brilliant and varied. Plus 6 albums in 6 months? that's unheard of.

Anyway on topic, a good guitarist is one who compliments the song. George Harrison comes to mind.
It depends on what goals you are setting, but generally it's gonna be how you apply techniques, what techniques you can do, and cleanly you can execute them. People tend to blur the line between technique and composition, though, so I'm sure a lot of posters here are gonna be like 'da ability 2 rite a song'
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by rocknrollstar
I'd agree with this. His solo stuff is brilliant and varied. Plus 6 albums in 6 months? that's unheard of.

Anyway on topic, a good guitarist is one who compliments the song. George Harrison comes to mind.

harrison and frusciante go hand in hand for me. everyone compares john and jimi, well yeah john wanks live with rhcp just like hendrix, but they arent very similar in songwriting. harrison definitely has everything an all around guitar player wants. his chops may not be 10/10 like tosin, but his rhythm playing is spectacular and his chord prgressions are all original. he writes like a jazz player.
oh btw, new frusciante album comes out sometime this year
I reckon the ability to apply your knowledge of what sounds good on a guitar, to actually playing guitar and writing your own stuff is a pretty big factor in decent lead playing.
You can play pretty alright without any musical knowledge at all, but if you lack a good knowledge of theory you will really struggle
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I'm a rhythm guitarist. Far more awesome than lead IMO
+1, it's all about teh riffage!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
harrison and frusciante go hand in hand for me. everyone compares john and jimi, well yeah john wanks live with rhcp just like hendrix, but they arent very similar in songwriting. harrison definitely has everything an all around guitar player wants. his chops may not be 10/10 like tosin, but his rhythm playing is spectacular and his chord prgressions are all original. he writes like a jazz player.
oh btw, new frusciante album comes out sometime this year

John's a good balance of technical and writing in my opinion. I'm a fan of both RHCP and his solo stuff. I've not heard any news on a new album so this is awesome. Has he done any interviews since leaving RHCP? it's been all quite on the Froosh front.

And yeah man Harrison is the man. Those three chords in She Loves You. You know the ones I mean. It's a hook within itself., brilliance. The solo in Happiness Is A Warm Gun, that's awesome. Also here's something I noticed the other day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiCvhHsI0ME it's around 38 seconds in, tell me if you know what I'm getting at. I love the band themselves so I thought this was pretty cool.
Oh i know
Em A7 C G for the intro
G Em7 Bm D x2 for the verse
Then here's where shit gets real
Pre chorus
G gmaj7 g6 Em7 to Cm? To D. How awesome is that
Then that outdoor with insane pinky work.