Page 1 of 3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Just out of curiosity really, what where the worst albums of 2011? What albums were you hoping to be good but sucked major ass?

Biggest disappointments for me

Decapitated's Carnival is Forever
All Shall Perish's This is Where it Ends
Architects' The Here and Now
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Megadeth's Thirteen
Steel Panther's Balls Out (still good, but not nearly as good as Feel The Steel)

Honestly, those are the only albums from 2011 that I have actually listened too. Haven't heard the new Dream Theater stuff, but I hated Black Clouds.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
guitar_rules311
Hayden
722 IQ
Quote by stonyman65
Megadeth's Thirteen
Steel Panther's Balls Out (still good, but not nearly as good as Feel The Steel)

Honestly, those are the only albums from 2011 that I have actually listened too. Haven't heard the new Dream Theater stuff, but I hated Black Clouds.

None of those fit in the Hardcore forum though.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
EndTheRapture51
pretentious wank
8,922 IQ
I didn't think The Here And Now by Architects was a bad album.

It was just disappointing, especially after Hollow Crown.

All they needed was Hollow Crown with more melody and singing. They however took Hollow Crown, softened it up a bit and added a generic song structure ( verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown-chorus).

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
synestershadows
UG's Misery Signals Fan
2,568 IQ
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I didn't think The Here And Now by Architects was a bad album.

It was just disappointing, especially after Hollow Crown.

All they needed was Hollow Crown with more melody and singing. They however took Hollow Crown, softened it up a bit and added a generic song structure ( verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown-chorus).

*looks at thread title*

What?
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
tancanada
crapcore
2,467 IQ
Downtown Battle Mountain II pissed me off, they really put no energy into trying to make it decent. Other than that I can't think of anything too much
love is love // return to dust
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Well after Happiness, anything was likely to be a let down.

Unless they put out something on par with DTBM.
Swagasaurous
Math Rock Lover
21 IQ
Quote by blake1221
Well after Happiness, anything was likely to be a let down.

Unless they put out something on par with DTBM.

I hated Happiness o_0
InstantAXonHero
713 IQ
I'm glad I don't listen to such terrible bands as mentioned above, as I was not disappointed with a single album or song from any of the bands I like that put our material this year.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by Swagasaurous
I hated Happiness o_0

Which is another reason why I flat out don't like you.
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Architects - The Here and Now
Definitely. 100% backed.
Also the new Volumes and new Structures. I wasn't expecting too much, but they still managed to miss the mark by a mile and a half.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Structures for sure, and I was a bit disappointed with Digital Veil. The album I was most disappointed with, however, was Scurrilous. I liked it, but it really is just Luke tapping at 150bpm over simple syncopated riffs more than anything else. It's a decent album, but Protest the Hero hadn't settled for 'decent' before.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
^That. I've never been big on THA so I can't comment, but if any album dissapointed me it was Scurrilous for the reasons Geldin stated.
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Quote by Geldin
Structures for sure, and I was a bit disappointed with Digital Veil. The album I was most disappointed with, however, was Scurrilous. I liked it, but it really is just Luke tapping at 150bpm over simple syncopated riffs more than anything else. It's a decent album, but Protest the Hero hadn't settled for 'decent' before.

Can't believe I forgot about Scurrilous. Had my hopes so high and had them all dashed so brutally by that bastard of an album.
tancanada
crapcore
2,467 IQ
Quote by InstantAXonHero
I'm glad I don't listen to such terrible bands as mentioned above, as I was not disappointed with a single album or song from any of the bands I like that put our material this year.

Shut up.

Also forgot about Structures. New AAL didn't do much for me either
love is love // return to dust
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Really? I thought, as bad as some of the transitions were, Weightless was a great release. Good direction for them to head towards instead of just sticking with the same ol' "acoustic part, NOW SHRED, NOW MESHUGGAH RIFF, NOWWW more acoustic...NOW MORE SHRED, OVER MESHUGGAH RIFF" stuff that the first album was. Didn't impress me AS much as the first album, but still....
Geldin
1,677 IQ
I disagree on Born of Osiris. I felt like they did a much better job this time around integrating the keyboards into their music. They went a little (ok, a lot) heavy on the djent influence, but The Discovery beat out A Higher Place.

I'll chuck in Cynic in agreement with MustangMan. It felt a lot more like an Aeon Spoke record than Cynic.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I also liked the new BoO but that might just be cuz they ditched that terrible production style.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Yeah, also a big fan of the new BoO, but I'm still more concerned about Cody being disappointed in Trap Them's new album, so all of you shush until he comes back.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
It is an amazing album; love it for the guitar tone if nothing else.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Did In Dreams come out in 2011?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
TheBDanAbstract
468 IQ
Quote by Magero
Can't believe I forgot about Scurrilous. Had my hopes so high and had them all dashed so brutally by that bastard of an album.

This and this exactly. Still like the album, but Fortress and Kezia are masterpieces, and Scurrilous is just the album you listen to once every few months.

Quote by MustangMan311

Job for a Cowboy

Can't believe you expected anything more than a cliche in death metal form. That's all JFAC has been since Doom.

Extremely disappointing in Cynic's EP.
Last edited by TheBDanAbstract at Jan 4, 2012,
The Spoon
You can't bend The Spoon
1,452 IQ
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Not sure, but it was bad enough to make my list two years in a row if it wasn't.

I was disappointed with The Human Abstract, and Protest the Hero. Maybe BTBAM, but I thought the EP was good, I just might be tired of them.
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah
3,358 IQ
Born of Osiris: 15 songs, seriously guys? It could have been condensed to 8 and it still would have been an extremely boring album. Plus, the guys voice sounds god awful now, it's like he's doing a really deep belch.

Animals As Leaders: They didn't sound like songs to me. As little as I like Periphery, they should have gone back to Misha.

Past that I don't think I even bothered listening to any 2011 albums, none seemed appealing to me.
Swagasaurous
Math Rock Lover
21 IQ
Quote by blake1221
Which is another reason why I flat out don't like you.

Why? Haha I think I'm entitled to my opinion.
MustangMan311
Cody
2,113 IQ
Quote by Magero
How the hell was Darker Handcraft a disappointment?!

I just can't get into it like the other albums. Just something about it doesn't mesh with me, I dunno.

And fuck 15 songs on The Discovery, nine would have sufficed. The structure of the songs also felt too verse / chorus-y to me, unlike the first two albums.
synestershadows
UG's Misery Signals Fan
2,568 IQ
Architects (Biggest disappointment ever)
The Human Abstract
Animals as Leaders
New Balance and Composure was good, but it definitely wasn't on par with their previous stuff.
Structures (Mostly because of the bad production, poppy sections, and Frankie's guest spot. It was also extremely heavy. Like retarded heavy. All of the Above was more about the technicality and really didn't care as much about heaviness.)
Ever Forthright (it was just really meh. nothing spectacular.)

Quote by GodofCheesecake

I think it was 2010, but goddammit, it was sooooo bad.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Last edited by synestershadows at Jan 5, 2012,
Horribad
ganking mid
23 IQ
Quote by MustangMan311

Stray From the Path

I'm so glad this was mentioned. I absolutely loved villians and (to a lesser extent) make your own history, but rising sun was shithouse. I've tried to get into it many times, but it's just.. ugh. Endless breakdowns which serve no real purpose, and a distinct lack of riffage.

As for Structures, i actually really liked their latest. And i don't see what the big deal about the production of the album is.
synestershadows
UG's Misery Signals Fan
2,568 IQ
Quote by Horribad
I'm so glad this was mentioned. I absolutely loved villians and (to a lesser extent) make your own history, but rising sun was shithouse. I've tried to get into it many times, but it's just.. ugh. Endless breakdowns which serve no real purpose, and a distinct lack of riffage.

As for Structures, i actually really liked their latest. And i don't see what the big deal about the production of the album is.

Villains is pretty lame, haha. Make Your Own History is amazing though. That will always be their best album. I like Rising Sun, it's definitely a grower.

As for the production on Structures' new album, don't you hear all that clipping? It's sooooo annoying.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Horribad
ganking mid
23 IQ
Ahh well, i'm not very picky with production, so i guess i wouldn't notice the little things. though having said that i can't stand production that sounds like everything else. I'm positive there's a lot of good music buried in my library that i haven't bothered with due to shit boring mixing.

But dude, why does everyone dislike villians?! It's so vicious and spastically awesome. Riffs are 1000 times better than the ones on RS.
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Rising Sun has Centre of Attention. Therefore it was still a better album than 99% of the things that came out this year.

Make Your Own History is still their best work, IMO, but I really felt Rising Sun crept up on me. At first all I really liked was Madgirl, Rising Sun and bits and pieces from the middle tracks, but then all of a sudden someone asked me to name the best tracks from it and I couldn't help but name 3/4 of the album. Centre of Attention, The Laughing Man, The Escape Artist and Crashing Down are all fantastic as one big outro to the album, and Bring It Back To The Streets + iMember are just sweeeet... I dunno, dude, it just APPEARED in my favourites list really. Production helps. Heavy as an elephant in a concrete mixer.
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
World Record.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
MustangMan311
Cody
2,113 IQ
Quote by Horribad

I mean, I definitely enjoy the album, but it wasn't what I expected. I loved MYOH, but Rising Sun less so. Bring it Back to the Streets is still the jam, though.
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Bring It Back to the Streets gives me way too much of a '90s rap video vibe.

I can't take it seriously.