...you see a number sign or a lowercase b and think of accidentals.

...roman numerals for you only go up to vii and you expect to see an "o" after it.

...when someone said intervals in a sentence and you shouted out "TRITONE!!!!"

...the word inversions make you ask " first or second? Wait, are we talking about triads?"

I know Im not the only one here.
I like prog
...when you analyze the harmonys and modulations of christmas tunes as you sing them with your family instead of paying attention to the lyrics
.....When you speak in musical jargon.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
....during sex you're thinking..."rrright, so....if that major 7 chord is sorta like..."
Quote by mdc
....during sex you're thinking..."rrright, so....if that major 7 chord is sorta like..."

Quote by mdc

I've actually done this once or twice before. Quiz myself on extensions, scales or try to recall the changes from jazz tunes. Can buy me a few extra minutes if I really concentrate.
#DTWD
i catch myself making analogies to music theory in casual conversation that no one i know would understand.
modes are a social construct
Quote by primusfan
I've actually done this once or twice before. Quiz myself on extensions, scales or try to recall the changes from jazz tunes. Can buy me a few extra minutes if I really concentrate.

Impressive. Seems like a good way to try and "bridge" the gap. *Sigh*... sorry.
Quote by primusfan

If you were a REAL music nerd thinking of seventh chords would make you go quicker!
Quote by Hail
i catch myself making analogies to music theory in casual conversation that no one i know would understand.

I can't stop doing that.
I like prog
Also, when 69 makes you think of add chords, you're a theory nerd.
I like prog
You transpose concert pitch chorales for fun when bored at the bustop. Pretty guilty of that one.
when you really like music and theory, and are majoring in it in college.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
When you correct your GCSE music teacher on his mistakes.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
...your favorite hobby is transcribing avant-garde jazz.
Amon Amarth to Frank Zappa
and everything in between.

The A-Z's of music.
When you say "F sharp" when you mean the derivative of the function f.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
You understand this joke:

C,E-flat and G go into a bar.
The bartender says, "Sorry, but we don't serve minors"
So E-Flat leaves and C and G have as open 5th between them.

After a few drinks the 5th is diminished and the G is out flat. An F comes in and tries to augment the situation but is not sharp enough. A D comes into the bar and heads straight for the bathroom saying,*Excuse me, I'll just be a second"

An A comes into the bar but the bartender is not convinced this realtive of C is not a minor. Then the bartender notices a B-Flat hiding at the end of the bar and excalims, "Get out now! You're the seventh minor I've found in the bar tonight." The E-Flat is not easily deflated, comes back to the bar the next night in a 3-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender who used to have a nice coporate job until his company downsized, says, "You're looking sharp tonight, come on in! This could be a major development." This proves to be the case as the E-Flat takes off the suit and everything else and stands there au natural.

Eventually C sobers up and realizes in horror he is under a rest. The C is brought to trial, found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and is sentenced to 10 years of DS without Coda at an upscale correctional facility. On appeal, however, the C is found innocent of any wrong doing, even accidental, and that all accusations to the contrary are bassless.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Seen that one before.... and love it! Thanks for bringing it back!
Strum slowly with downstrokes, allowing each note to ring out separately so that you're basically making a melody out of arpeggiating the chord: x57460
Make a spooky face, do jazz hands, then burst out laughing.
Bonus points for scat-singing in parallel with the guitar notes too, for extra spookyness.

This probably doesn't mean that I'm a music theory nerd so much as a plain weirdo.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 5, 2012,
Every time I see 'ebb and flow' I think of a double-flatted E.

Pretty much any single letter followed by a b does that actually.

Also, I'm in programming so whenever someone mentions C# my mind initially goes to the chord or note
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Posting on your academic years music group page on facebook to help everyone with their analysis coursework, even the pieces that you haven't been assigned.
when you pick up an instrument and play IV-V-I at midnight on new year's eve to make a new year resolution
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
When people denote placements like "first, second, third" i think of note placements and chords / key.
Quote by rchelicopter
i've actually done this once or twice before. Quiz myself on extensions, scales or try to recall the changes from jazz tunes. Can buy me a few extra minutes if I really concentrate.

______________________________________________________________________[ads]

Adbot *reported*
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
When you can head bang to 13.5/7 and improvise in F# Phrygian minor...AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! trol
PLAY WITH A METRONOME
Quote by Matt.Guitar
Probably doesn't make me a theory nerd but whilst walking anywhere I like to try to drum out rhythms by slapung my hands against my thighs to the pulse of my footsteps. Trying to do fives on one hand, threes on the other gets tricky....

So incredibly guilty. I often find that I run in 3/4.