hey ug,

i have a problem while retuning my newest guitar ( see in title, wanted to make a ngd about it )

Every time i tune it good, the trem comes higher and detunes himself again..
can i do anything about it? or do i just have to bring it to the shop and get my money back?

this is my first guitar with a real trem, so i really dont know..

i use 11-54 ernie balls.. and i want them in drop C

any quick help would be really appreciated

greetz,

Tunder
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Jan 4, 2012,
Unlock the locks at the nut.

Back off all the micro tuners at the bridge to almost all the way out. This is an important step, because if you don't have those microtuners out almost all the way, you wont have enough range in the microtuners to tune up to pitch after you lock the nut. Dont back them out all the way. leave a couple of twists because when you lock the nut, it will sharpen the strings a bit and you may have to back them off.

Pre stretch your strings (pull up on them one by one at the 12th fret). Don't pull too hard for too long or you deaden them.

Tune each sting to pitch using the machine heads.
Go back and retune each string using the machine heads.
Go back again - Keep tuning until all the strings are in tune.

Lock the nut. This will sharpen the strings a little. Use the microtuners at the bridge to tune. This is why you don't back the microtuners out all the way before you lock the nut - you leave a little so you can flatten the tuning when the nut locks sharpen. You will probably have to make a couple of passes like you did before you locked the nut when you were tuning using the machine heads.

It takes a little practice. Once you get it, it's easy.

If you change guages it's tricky because you need to level the trem at pitch by changing the spring length underneath.

Also, when changing strings, just cut the ball end off the string and leave the windings on the end. This helps grip the string when it's clamped into the trem blocks.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 4, 2012,
It just needs a set up. Take it to a tech and get him to set it up with the strings and tuning you want.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
^ Nah. Learn how to do it yourself. You don't want to have to take it to a tech everytime you break or change strings.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 4, 2012,
Ibanez uses 9's strung at standard tuning. You're using much heavier strings and different tuning than stock.

You need to adjust the bridge angle with the thumbwheel located on the backside of your guitar. Either read the manual and learn how to do it yourself or bring it into a local tech. I guess you can probably find a vid on youtube as well And you probably need to have the intonation set and the action tweaked.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by 667
^ Nah. Learn how to do it yourself. You don't want to have to take it to a tech everytime you break or change strings.

This so much. I've only taken a guitar in once, Saw that they only took 5 minutes to fix what looked really simple. From that day on, I've learned how to do everything I need to do guitar related on my own.

Being a guitarist, this is the only thing you should do, IMO. It's kind of terrible to not know how to work on your own tools.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks a lot, 667!!!!!!

The main problem was that it auto-detunes.. hopefully ajusting the springs will help
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
thanks a lot, 667!!!!!!

The main problem was that it auto-detunes.. hopefully ajusting the springs will help

That might just be the stings streching out. It should settle down after a while of playing. Pre-stretching should aleviate the problem.

Is it a new guitar? You shouldn't have to mess with the springs if you didn't change string gauges. If it is new and the bridge isn't level. Take it back and demand a free setup.

Go here for info...
http://www.floydrose.com/technical-information.php

Get this book...
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handbook-Ralph-Denyer/dp/0679742751
Well for a rg1570z, there are no spring claw. That's done with a wheel. Which is actually easier
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by 667
That might just be the stings streching out. It should settle down after a while of playing. Pre-stretching should aleviate the problem.

Is it a new guitar? You shouldn't have to mess with the springs if you didn't change string gauges. If it is new and the bridge isn't level. Take it back and demand a free setup.

Go here for info...

Get this book...

it wasnt like that, the trem just went higher and higher..
the guitar is new.

again: THANKS A LOT you really explained it well
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by 667

Go here for info...

Get this book...

thanks for the links

If you can't get enough spring tension to balance you string selection you may have to either add more springs in the back or swap the existing ones for shorter heavier gauge springs to balance it.
if you havent gottten it how you like it yet,, get the bridge down so that it's tilting down a little, then when you tune, go sharp on the low 4 strings first, a step to half a step or so, maybe a little more on the lowest string. then tune the high e and b approximate to pitch. your low strings will have lost tension from the other strings being tuned and should be close to 440. if it's close enough to in tune lock the nut and fine tune, and if not making small adjustments at the tuners shouldnt mess with the bridge too much.
i dunno, but someone bumped this thread yday :P
but still thanks for the advise!

( could someone close this thread please )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30