So I am pretty new to playing guitar but I really dislike the thick, unrealistic tone that my Line 6 Spider IV 15W puts out so I want to try a different amplifier. When I get better at guitar I will mainly be playing metal (things like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, etc) but to practice I will be playing a lot of clean songs, and maybe some older genres so I need an amp that can handle everything pretty well.

I don't care too much about effects really. The only thing that it absolutely must have is a headphone in port so I can use my headphones when my parents are sleeping. Another thing that I really enjoy is preset settings. I really cannot be bothered to set up a setting and memorize the bass/mid/treble/gain settings every single time.

I want to keep it around $100, so anything under $120 should be fine. Also it must be around the same size as my Line 6 Spider IV 15W because I will be moving into a college dorm next year so I will not have a lot of space.

What would you guys recommend? A few friends that play guitar recommended the Peavey Vypyr 15W but that is the only recommendation I have gotten so far.
Last edited by ComradeNF at Jan 4, 2012,
Lots of people will tell you to say away from the Spiders and the Marshall MG line. The tone may sound fine at first but it will slowly kill your ears.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
The Peavey is a good choice, but it honestly wouldn't be much of an improvement. Spiders get a lot of hate, but they are decent little practice amps.

You sound like you're very new to guitar, so my advice would be to save up and improve your chops. By the time you have the budget for a nicer amp, you'll be able to make a more informed decision and will have an idea of what type of tones you are going for.
Quote by zl1288
The Peavey is a good choice, but it honestly wouldn't be much of an improvement. Spiders get a lot of hate, but they are decent little practice amps.

You sound like you're very new to guitar, so my advice would be to save up and improve your chops. By the time you have the budget for a nicer amp, you'll be able to make a more informed decision and will have an idea of what type of tones you are going for.

The problem is that I will be in a college dorm for 4 years so I can't take any very large professional amplifiers.

For example, are there any small amplifiers that are quite expensive and used by professionals?
save up a little more and get yourself some sort of POD
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by ComradeNF
What would you guys recommend? A few friends that play guitar recommended the Peavey Vypyr 15W but that is the only recommendation I have gotten so far.

The vypyr has been great for me. The distortions don't sound flabby or superficial at all. You might want to try something like a Vox vt, but imo the vypyr would be better for the bands you listed.
I have to agree the Vyper 15w is a great choice. I can get some really good metal tones out of mine you just have to EQ until you find what your looking for or save up an get the vyper 30w an get the footswitch so you change between dirty and clean.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
Lots of people will tell you to say away from the Spiders and the Marshall MG line. The tone may sound fine at first but it will slowly kill your ears.

It's more like the Spiders and MGs sound like shit straight away when you first try them
Quote by FearMyLightning
Kustom The Defender. It's a 5W all tube head, too bad you don't have enough for it and a cab.

Edit: Just throw like 4 tube screamers in front of it if you want to play metal.