I have a Peavey 6505+ and I'm considering one of two options: 1.) getting an Ibanez TS-9 Tube screamer; or 2.) getting some form of EQ pedal. I'm curious as to which would be the better investment for me. I typically play hard rock and metal. I feel as if my sound is almost "there", but I desire that tight punch (kind of like a BFMV sound. Input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jon
Why not both?

The TS will definitely get you the 'tightness' but the EQ will help you shape your tone in addition. I know some people who put a TS->NG->EQ chain with the EQ scooped a bit in the mids to suck out a bit of that mids boost in the TS because it can be overbearing for rhythm tones if you're not careful.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
if it's a choice of either or I would go for a TS or some kind of TS clone. But if you can get both then that would be ideal.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Depends on what you want; those two pedals will do drastically different things.

The Tube Screamer will act like a light OD to tighten up your attack and give your tone some extra mids, while the EQ will give you control over the whole frequency range to fine tune, but won't tighten up your sound as much as the TS will.

Personally, I'd go with the TS, if you're asking for opinion. The 6505s always play a bit too 'floppy' for my preference.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
An EQ is a polishing tool, whereas the tubescreamer will tighten up the 6505 to get your tone in the right ballpark.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Unfortunately I can't get both at the moment. Maybe down the road I'll get the other, but it seems like the tube screamer is the way to go for now. Thanks everyone for the input!