ive just bought a brand new epiphone les paul ultra 2 for £300 on special offer from andertons, i love the look of the thing and it plays very nicely with the action lowered a bit but since buying it ive seen a jackson and ibanez up for sale at around the same price, the epiphone has quite a thick neck but has a satin finish and i know the neck on the ibanez or the jackson wont but have much thinner necks on both. i can return the epiphone but im not sure if it is worth it, i play some acoustic stuff and mainly metal and rock like metallica, killswitch engage, and the like. im not sure which would be most sutible all round and im attempting to learn to sweep pick at the moment too, any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
my advice would be to do your research before you buy next time. i doubt you'll get full credit for your guitar now that it's left the music store and has been used.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
The ultra II is a very different kind of guitar to a Jackson or an Ibanez. What Jackson or ibanez are we talking about here?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you like the guitar, keep it.

Edit: I'm guessing it's your first guitar. If you can get a full refund and you like the ibanez or jackson better, then go for it.
Last edited by mark3777 at Jan 4, 2012,
Get a fender P bass
the people have spoken before me btw
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
ok thanks, its my second guitar and i did reasearch them all loads but unfortunately couldnt find any decent reviews of the jackson or the ibanez and i think they are the jackson DXMG and the Ibanez rgr321, i know they are at pretty different extremes to the les paul but i was aiming for the metal aspect when making a note of both of them whereas i was under the impression that the les paul would be more versiatile than both the Jackson or Ibanez
Quote by mike_oxbig
my advice would be to do your research before you buy next time. i doubt you'll get full credit for your guitar now that it's left the music store and has been used.

theres a 28 day full refund policy i think
Quote by Your Name Here1
ok thanks, its my second guitar and i did reasearch them all loads but unfortunately couldnt find any decent reviews of the jackson or the ibanez and i think they are the jackson DXMG and the Ibanez rgr321, i know they are at pretty different extremes to the les paul but i was aiming for the metal aspect when making a note of both of them whereas i was under the impression that the les paul would be more versiatile than both the Jackson or Ibanez

That's because the Epiphone is way more versatile. In fact its one of the most versatile LP's Epiphone does. But the pickups aren't really suited to high gain. Both the Ibanez and the Jackson have crap pickups so you're not really upgrading by getting it. If anything, its a downgrade. I'd save for a new amp if i were you and possibly replace the pickups in the Epiphone afterwards. Just because its a Jackson or an Ibanez doesn't make it immediately good.

Imo the Epi is a better guitar just in its versatility and its construction.

Tl;dr Get a new amp, maybe new pickups later.

If we're talking playability, they're all good playing guitars if you set them up correctly. A thinner neck will not make you play faster or make you a better guitar player. The only real advantage a thin neck gives you really is that its easier to get around on if you have small hands. But if that's the case, get it if you like it more.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 4, 2012,