i just got this '97 RG550. it needs a little work, and of course a new bridge pup since the stock V8 sucks. i play mostly Black Dahlia Murder stuff and similar bands of the melodeath genre. pretty soon i'll be getting a new amp (probably a 6505 combo).

question is which pickup. i've narrowed it down to a duncan sh5 custom, duncan full shred, tone zone, or d-activator x.

i've been getting into very technical lead stuff like 2 handed tapping/legato solos like on the 2 latest tbdm albums. i want something that's good for that but doesn't sacrifice heavy, punchy palm-muted riffing.

which one, if any of the pups on my narrowed-down list would be best for what i play? i really need some good advice here because i dont have the money to keep getting pickups replaced if i don't like it. and i can't risk something goingwrong if i try to learn all the soldering required to replace pups from a youtube video or something.

also, i don't need any advice about the pickups' clean tones because i never play in clean.
Bkp Aftermath. I get some sweet smooth lead tones outta it rolled back a bit and great clear pronounced crunch. Otherwise I vote D-activator.

Its only four wires man, get a good schematic (I used seymore duncan for any maker, although color coding is diff. sometimes)
My vote would be the D-Activator. Great pickups, and as my signature says I'm actually saving to get a set for my Schecter.
Yeah don't get the D'Activator X, get the regular D'Activator. It's an awesome pickup. Although I personally think it's better suited to mahogany bodied guitars. If your RG is basswood (which I'm guessing it probably is) then I would suggest getting the D-Sonic instead.

My 2c.... etc
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
Yeah don't get the D'Activator X, get the regular D'Activator. It's an awesome pickup. Although I personally think it's better suited to mahogany bodied guitars. If your RG is basswood (which I'm guessing it probably is) then I would suggest getting the D-Sonic instead.

My 2c.... etc

what's the main difference between the d-activator and the x?
The main difference is that I like the D'Activator and don't like the X.
I dunno, it's hard to say. I've used D'Activators a lot and not so much the X, but I think the X is kind of the opposite of what it's supposed to do. It's intended to be more harmonic and less sterile but I think it's really just a higher gain version of the d'activator so it has the opposite effect.

As far as Duncans go, full shred will probably be your best option. But I think dimarzios are better for tight/technical lead playing (imo of course anyway)
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
the full shred would do really well for you. It super articulate
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
hmm.....how about actual active pickups like an emg 81? i know actives are great for heavy distortion but how do they do for lead/soloing?
Switching to actives its pretty much either go all active pickups, have one active and non working/removed passives, or a big mess of wiring and active/ passive pots with active/ passive pups that prolly wont match very well.

I like the emg 60 in the neck for leads.
I'm a big fan of the Normal D-Activators and the D-Activator X's. The DAX's are quite hot to start off with. They are really clear and bright as well. Basically the X is like a D-Activator, but with a not so harsh neck pickup and an angrier/more well rounded bridge pickup. I honestly think You'll love the DA-X's. I think the Duncans might be a bit vintage for what your going for.