I've been using PodFarm for a long time and finally decided to move onto the lepou plugins because I've heard so much about them.

However I can't get them to sound good, I'm using them with RedWirez amp impulses, but they either sound too fizzy, too trebley or too weak. How do I set these things up!?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Any chance of an audio sample? That would help a lot.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Sure thing, here's a riff from a song I'm demoing out (so the playing is a bit shit), first time is PodFarm, second time is a mix between leGion and LeCto both with Red Wirez 1960 Marshall impulses.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/example.mp3

I've seen people get AMAZING results with these amps, but they just sound like shit when I use them. I can't work out how to get that big guitar sound.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Some people get ridiculously good results, yeah. It's frustrating when you hear stuff like that, but can't get anything close to it yourself. I'm stuck in that same rut a bit, but I might be able to help a little.

- Add a bass part. I can't hear one in that recording, so that's probably the main reason as to why it sounds thin. That's where a lot of the 'meat' lives in a mix. Even if you don't have a bass, some pitch-shifted guitars running through bass amp sim's can sound pretty good.
- A lot of people use EQ plugins to remove some high-end fizzing that amp sim's are known for, there's a tonne of stuff online about that, they aren't always needed, but it's worth a shot. You could also use this to boost other frequencies and shape the sound if you wanted.
- Another common thing is to use a tube-screamer style plug-in before the amp sim' (Something like the TSE808, but PodFarm has one in the 'Distortions' column that will do the job). This boosts the signal, aswell as tightens the sound a little. I have no idea if you're doing that now, but it's a fairly common thing to do, so if you aren't doing it, it's worth playing around with.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jan 4, 2012,
I am using a screamer clone in both set ups. I'm aware of the affects of EQ and Bass but I've seen peoples set signal chains and many use very little amounts of EQ. I just can't understand that, while I'm doing something similar, my tone is shite.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
80% OF THE TONE IS THE PLAYER's HANDS. HERRRRRPDERRRRRRRP!

In all seriousness, that doesn't sound so horrible. I can't imagine it sounding so bad with a bass track. It's worth trying with other impulses though.
Let's party.
Think my biggest hate is the palm muting, it sounds so weak...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Know I'm double posting here, but want a reply to this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/MisSigsRiffv2mas.mp3

I've taken my demo, applied a new version of LeCto based tone WITH a mastering suite on the song, no bass I'm afraid, does this sound alright to you guys, considering I've not really mixed it. Aside from some minor eq on the guitar.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 4, 2012,
Incredibly brittle, thin and harsh on mah earsssss.

Way overgained too.
Let's party.
Seems to be hard to balance out the open notes and the chuggy palm mutes. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: After some research it seems that my EMG (80/81) set is known for harsh distortion sounds, so I've tried Re-EQing the guitars and turning the gain down a touch, but I still feel that now the sound is too weak on the chugs.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/MisSigsRiffv2masv2.mp3

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Was about to chime in and say that you shouldn't rule out your guitar being a possible problem. Can't check the sound now, but I solely use LePou amp sims if I'm using sims (though I don't use RedWirez impulse responses) and they give me the best results I've had from amp sims - I'm still one of the purists who prefers miking a good valve amp though, I just have the amp sims for demos and to reamp with if needed.

Try different IRs though - the two sets I use are the God's Cab and the Catharsis IR's, both of which can be found on the Andy Sneap forum at ultimatemetal.com if you do a forum search there. Both are (I think) a Mesa 4x12 with various mics at different positions and those ran after Lecto get great rhythm tones for me and I use LE456 and LeXtac for leads if I remember right (for some reason I always confuse LeXtac and LeGion until I see their GUI's).

For an example of LeCto into a God's Cab impulse response (think I used the TubeScreamer set, with the '57 on one of the closer-to-the-cone settings) check out Hollow Ground on my profile - guitars are a mix of the original guitar tracks, panned narrower, and a reamp though LeCto into the IR panned wider, all going through an instance of BBE Sobic Maximizer on the guitar mixbus.

Edit: Also, without a bass it will be harder for people to judge because if you solo'd the guitars on many classic heavy records you'd probably think the guitars were thin or had problems (especially early Metallica and Pantera etc. who favour very scooped mids). What matters is the sound of the guitars and bass together, and to a certain extent the guitars and vocals, as guitars can eat too much of the definition range of modern hardcore (think Hatebreed) shouty vocals and make the vocals sound harsh, and incoherent as they fight for prominence.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 4, 2012,
Will do, I've always heard great things about RedWirez but I used Catharsis Fredmen set for years before hand.

Quote by DisarmGoliath

Edit: Also, without a bass it will be harder for people to judge because if you solo'd the guitars on many classic heavy records you'd probably think the guitars were thin or had problems (especially early Metallica and Pantera etc. who favour very scooped mids). What matters is the sound of the guitars and bass together, and to a certain extent the guitars and vocals, as guitars can eat too much of the definition range of modern hardcore (think Hatebreed) shouty vocals and make the vocals sound harsh, and incoherent as they fight for prominence.

Since it's only a demo i've not got round to recording bass for it yet. Really I'm only using it so I don't have to keep recording guitar parts just to try out a new tone. I'm pretty happy with the results the Catharsis and GodPack IR's have given me though, alot beefier, which is probably could considering the low end cut off EMG's have.

Quote by DisarmGoliath