I'm going to get a new guitar soon, but I don't know which guitar I should get. For a period I wanted to get the Jackson RR24, but as you know that guitar is mostly for metal. I'm going to be playing metal as well as rock. So I want a guitar that's suitable for both genres.

I want it to have 24 frets and a whammy bar. I like the Les Paul, but it neither has 24 frets, nor a whammy bar... So..

I was thinking about the Jackson Warrior. Is this a good guitar? But it has a rosewood fretboard. I'd prefer it to be ebony. Which is better by the way. Ebony or rosewood?

Which guitar do you think I should get? And which brands do you recommend that I look into? And I'd prefer it to be V shaped..

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Ameer27 at Jan 4, 2012,
Budget?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Go play some guitars. See what you like more.

An EC-1000FR would be a possibility.

Neither ebony or rosewood are better than each other. Its all in what you prefer in terms of feel and sound. I like rosewood fingerboards for their nice figuring and their slightly waxy feel means they feel a bit more organic and sound a bit more open. Ebony is very smooth and more focused in tone, which i also like.

Budget?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 4, 2012,
Yeah no idea what your budget is but if you can get one then ESP SVs are awesome.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
If a guitar plays metal well - which is, sometimes, an euphemism for having lousy cleans -, it can play all sorts of rock: classic, progressive, rockabilly etc. The opposite is not quite true, maybe with the exception of Les Pauls and SGs, which can play metal quite well, although being designed with a blues player in mind.
A sound advice would be: buy the most expensive guitar you can afford and, above all, the one you feel it's the best for you. You can always add effects pedals and hi-gain amps and make it sound like a monster, but if you don't like to play on it in the first place...
Quote by rv_phoenix
If a guitar plays metal well - which is, sometimes, an euphemism for having lousy cleans -, it can play all sorts of rock: classic, progressive, rockabilly etc. The opposite is not quite true, maybe with the exception of Les Pauls and SGs, which can play metal quite well, although being designed with a blues player in mind.
A sound advice would be: buy the most expensive guitar you can afford and, above all, the one you feel it's the best for you. You can always add effects pedals and hi-gain amps and make it sound like a monster, but if you don't like to play on it in the first place...

If a guitar plays metal well it doesn't mean that it has a good rock tone, many metal guitars, especially with active/really high output pickups tend to sound kind of thin, soulless or sterile with less gain.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Fernandes Monterey Tremolo. They're a Les Paul shape with EMGs and a floyd rose RRP about $850 USD. Not sure, but I think they may be 24 frets as well.
Just stay away from active humbucker and you should be fine .

Esp , jackson etc.. often make a model with a Duncan jeff beck ( sh-4 ) humbucker and this is a good humbucker for rock to metal .

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/mh-1000nt.html

example .

check out the website they have other model too . just stay away from emg 81 and you should be fine for a rock tones . Duncan jb sh-4 is a good "all around" humbucker .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by JesusCrisp
If a guitar plays metal well it doesn't mean that it has a good rock tone, many metal guitars, especially with active/really high output pickups tend to sound kind of thin, soulless or sterile with less gain.

I assume we were talking about real guitars. In this case, you just have to turn the volume pot down and cut the gain on your amp and the guitar will do just fine playing soft rock. If the active pickup cintinues to be too hot, you can also cut the bass and the trebble and boost the midrange. You'll get to a classic rock tone by all means.
That's why I've said ''sometimes it's an euphemism for bad cleans": bad guitars aren't just able to play clean. But we were talking, I insist, about real guitars. Those provided with real tone and volume pots, capable to clean nicely when turned down, no matter how much gain is the amp able to deliver. And, btw, I presume we were also talking about real amplification. On a digital modelling crap it's impossible to get a soft rock sound out of an active humbucker.
Quote by rv_phoenix
I assume we were talking about real guitars. In this case, you just have to turn the volume pot down and cut the gain on your amp and the guitar will do just fine playing soft rock. If the active pickup cintinues to be too hot, you can also cut the bass and the trebble and boost the midrange. You'll get to a classic rock tone by all means.
That's why I've said ''sometimes it's an euphemism for bad cleans": bad guitars aren't just able to play clean. But we were talking, I insist, about real guitars. Those provided with real tone and volume pots, capable to clean nicely when turned down, no matter how much gain is the amp able to deliver. And, btw, I presume we were also talking about real amplification. On a digital modelling crap it's impossible to get a soft rock sound out of an active humbucker.

100% of this post is bullshit. Apart from messing with your EQ to get the sound you want.

I've used modelling amps that crush valve amps tonally. You've either never used a good modelling amp and/or you're taking out of your ass.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 5, 2012,
Try Warmoth. Like a Strat/Soloist with humbuckers, Mahogony/Maple/Alder body, pick the pickups based on which wood you pick, you get an OR FR, and everything is your specs. It's just pretty expensive. BTW I like Ebony more than rosewood. You could try a G & L Rampage. Those are Maple Body, Alnico 5 Humbucker, Kahler tremolo, Maple neck, Ebony fretboard, 22 frets, a very simple barebones guitar that is surprisingly very versitile.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

100% of this post is bullshit. Apart from messing with your EQ to get the sound you want.

I've used modelling amps that crush valve amps tonally. You've either never used a good modelling amp and/or you're taking out of your ass.

No modelling amps can crush the worse all-tube available. Players know why. No matter how good, emulated sounds cannot be better than natural. Digital modelling cannot follow fingers' natural dynamics, nor can they make different guitars sound different. Once again, players - and electronics engineers, by all means - know why. It takes too much to explain and, if ears don't hear any difference, it's not useful.

I had a 120watt Behringer V-Ampire Modeling amp (really high quality with MIDI ports). It sucked so much ass. I will never use another solid-state amp ever again. So much of the true sound of a guitar is processed and manipulated in a modeling amp it loses all unique tonal characteristics. While my Peavey ValveKing head on it's 6505 Cab cranks out the best sound I've ever heard. Whether I'm using light overdrive with my Gibson or the most brutal metal with my LTD F100 and MT-2 distortion (Scooped and dialed to 11) The American 6L6's just rule. Analog shall forever prove to be the best choice in the chase for great tone. The drawbacks: You gotta replace the tubes once in a great while. Each tube driven amp will have it's own tonal characteristics when accenting your guitar's natural vibe (is that even a drawback?). So it is crucial to play it before you buy it. $+Tubes=Win / Broke Dude+Solid-State=Fail
Guitar Center Tech: We'll replace it if you drop it, run it over, spill beer on it-
Jay (Bass): We spill beer!
Myself: Okay, yeah, I'll do the Gold Coverage.
Quote by Ameer27
I'm going to get a new guitar soon, but I don't know which guitar I should get. For a period I wanted to get the Jackson RR24, but as you know that guitar is mostly for metal. I'm going to be playing metal as well as rock. So I want a guitar that's suitable for both genres.

I want it to have 24 frets and a whammy bar. I like the Les Paul, but it neither has 24 frets, nor a whammy bar... So..

I was thinking about the Jackson Warrior. Is this a good guitar? But it has a rosewood fretboard. I'd prefer it to be ebony. Which is better by the way. Ebony or rosewood?

Which guitar do you think I should get? And which brands do you recommend that I look into? And I'd prefer it to be V shaped..

Thanks in advance.

But to answer your question dude. You should consider ESP's LTD line of guitars. They have a plethora of guitars to chose from. Most of which have 24 frets. They don't bullshit on construction. Overall a great company for a versatile, budget guitarist.
Guitar Center Tech: We'll replace it if you drop it, run it over, spill beer on it-
Jay (Bass): We spill beer!
Myself: Okay, yeah, I'll do the Gold Coverage.
PRS CU24
end thread/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Are Dean guitars good? I'm thinking Dime series... I liked the Razorback V. Do you guys have any ideas about these guitars?

EDIT: But the Dime series have 22 frets.. Or no?
Last edited by Ameer27 at Jan 10, 2012,
Dean sucks unless your rich. Especially the dimes.
And no im not biased, i like dime and want a razorback and an ml, but every non usa made I tried plays and sounds like utter shit. There are 24 fret dimes.

Bc rich is the same, shit until you spend some cold hard $$.

A BUDGET WOULD BE HELPFUL.
Quote by rv_phoenix
No modelling amps can crush the worse all-tube available. Players know why. No matter how good, emulated sounds cannot be better than natural. Digital modelling cannot follow fingers' natural dynamics, nor can they make different guitars sound different. Once again, players - and electronics engineers, by all means - know why. It takes too much to explain and, if ears don't hear any difference, it's not useful.

yet another snob who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

You've never used good patches before have you? Almost everything that has been done in studios for the last 5 years has probably been done digitally using patches. And the quality of production these days has never been better.

You may call bullshit, but only because you've never heard a damn bit of difference. Or possibly never even considered it being done digitally.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 10, 2012,
I'm thinking Jackson Soloist or Dinky. Or maybe Kelly.. Are they any good?