I found a cheap marshall cab on ebay and I was wondering if it's better to buy a name brand cab with good speakers already inside or to simply buy something cheap and replace the speakers afterwards?
I heard something about how not all speakers will work well with all cabs and I was curious what the general rules regarding this are
Thanks
Basically, yes. Correct me if i'm wrong, but a 4x12 with Celestions V30 would probably sound the same, wetehr i written Mesa or Marshall on the front.
Before you go buying a cheap cab and spending extra money to put expensive speakers in...you may want to check out Avatar cabs at http://www.avatarspeakers.com. I've played through a few before. Very high quality cabs, you can choose the speakers/covering/grille cloth, and they're priced fairly. $600 for a 4x12 in your choice of grille cloth, covering, piping and speakers? (Celestion and Eminence). Pretty damn good to me. I'll probably get one myself when I navigate away from combo's.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Basically, yes. Correct me if i'm wrong, but a 4x12 with Celestions V30 would probably sound the same, wether i written Mesa or Marshall on the front.

this is totaly wrong. I dare you to put a Mesa/Orange/Engl/Marshall all with V30s to the same amp, and it will sound pretty diff just because the size/volume of the cab and the diffrent construction methods.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ya, I've heard about them but unfortunately I haven't been able to find someone who sells them in the UK as Im currently in London.If you know somewhere I can get them I'd really appreciate it, I've been racking my brain for 2 weeks now trying to find a good cab thats versatile and plays metal.
look at zilla cabs in the uk
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by musicanywhere
Are they as good as avatars ?

yes, and I have heard from some people they are better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cheap cabs are often made with mdf whereas higher quality cabs are almost always birch ply. You would be better off getting a good quality 2x12 with decent speakers than getting a cheap 4x12 and replacing the speakers.
Thanks for the help, I will consider that.I think they only have a limited selection of speakers though and their cabs are a little expensive.I could also buy a loaded 2x12 marshall for the same price on ebay and just change the speakers couldnt I? although im not sure if I trust a music store to do a good job on the wiring.hmm.... I'll have to think about this
if your really looking for diecent but cheap, the harley Benton 2x12 with V30's is like 200 euros at thomann.de
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry I hadn't read what he said about cheap wood in cabs before I made my last post.I definitely don't wanna sacrifice sound to buy a cab thats not gonna resonate well.As for the harley benton Ill check it out but Im not really a big fan of v30's.I was hoping to put maybe an eminence swamp thang and something else.So if I buy from zilla cabs and I have to buy the speakers separately do you think I can trust a music store to wire it right?
The wood, reasonance, loudness, bass response all are determined by the quality of the build and wood. Assuming your comparing the same speakers in all. Marshal cabs are well built unless your just looking at like an MG cab.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Sorry for the threadjack, but how the wood of the cab can influence sound? I get that having an open/close back can change the sound, but the wood? And the construction? The sound change must be hella subtle....

Is it like a mahogany guitar vs an alder guitar?
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Jan 4, 2012,
different woods just reasonate differently. basically how the sound travels through the wood. and its definately not subtle. theres a lot of wood that goes into a cab
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by musicanywhere
I could also buy a loaded 2x12 marshall for the same price on ebay and just change the speakers couldnt I? although im not sure if I trust a music store to do a good job on the wiring.hmm.... I'll have to think about this

If you can operate a screwdriver, you can change the speakers in a cabinet. Almost always the connection between the cabinet input and speakers in just a push on connector. 2x12 Marshalls are available at reasonable prices with either V30's or GT12-75's. The only problem there would be that the V30's can only handle 60w in a 2x12
I mean I know it matters but do different people do it different ways and if so , how does that affect the sound?
It depends on your amp/head. Your cab should be wired to match whatever ohm rating your head or combo with speaker outs is rated for
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by sic6505+
If you can operate a screwdriver, you can change the speakers in a cabinet. Almost always the connection between the cabinet input and speakers in just a push on connector. 2x12 Marshalls are available at reasonable prices with either V30's or GT12-75's. The only problem there would be that the V30's can only handle 60w in a 2x12

V30's are 60 watt speakers so a 2x12 would be 120 watts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm, I was only looking quickly and found a site saying they were 30w, my bad.

120w would be fine for most amps at even the high powered metal amps are almost all 100-120w