Greetings UG, tis been a while!

So, I'm hoping to finally make my overdue update from my low-end RG to something a bit more substantial. While I play/gig a lot of rock/metal, as I'm studying to aim for the bloody goal of professionalism I probably need something more versatile, and so I've set my sights down the path of a good HSS setup Stratocaster.

Originally I was planning to go for the Fender American Special, for the sake of it being a bit more affordable and having pretty much what I need. However, after briefly trying out an American Deluxe a week ago, I've been torn whether to go 'to hell with it' and take the plunge on that (not to mention... they're considerably sexier. Just saying >_>

So basically, my question is this: Is it worth investing the extra £400-£500 on an American Deluxe, or in the long run may the cheaper American Special turn out to be a sturdy and safe enough option?

Thank you
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
with the genre of music you play, why not get the cheaper one and some higher output p-ups or at least a new bridge p-up?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
The Deluxe all the way. Better HW, PUs and a compound fretboard radius to boot. It's really the best US Strat made in my opinon (ecluding customshop models of course).
Moving on.....
I have the HSS American Special and it's a nice guitar.
Only thing I don't like about it is the humbucker, it's kind of lacking IMO, but they have the same on the American Deluxe as well.

Go and play both, see how they play and sound to you.

I personally wouldn't get a Deluxe myself, as I don't need most of it's extra features and simply don't like some of the specs like the noiseless pickups.

BTW, how about an American Standard HSS?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Hmm.. Potentially, never had the chance to play a Standard, guess they also kinda went over my radar as budget wise they're slightly closer to the deluxe.

Guitar store near me should have the Special I'm looking at in soon, so will get the chance to play it, but interesting feedback about the Atomic Humbucker - I've been told it's one of the higher output pickups in Fender's range - Salesperson talk? :P
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by IgnoreThis
Hmm.. Potentially, never had the chance to play a Standard, guess they also kinda went over my radar as budget wise they're slightly closer to the deluxe.

Guitar store near me should have the Special I'm looking at in soon, so will get the chance to play it, but interesting feedback about the Atomic Humbucker - I've been told it's one of the higher output pickups in Fender's range - Salesperson talk? :P

High output doesn't mean it's a good pickup.

IMO it has a pretty flubby low end, dead sounding top end and a very flat, compressed tone overall, but maybe that's just me.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp

BTW, how about an American Standard HSS?

That would get my vote.

The Specials (and Highway 1's for that matter) have always felt a bit, nasty, to me. I lvoe the standard.

The only reason I'd get a deluxe over a standard is for the tuners, but you can just do that upgrade yourself.

Meh, the older deluxes were better anyways.

Quote by IgnoreThis
but interesting feedback about the Atomic Humbucker - I've been told it's one of the higher output pickups in Fender's range - Salesperson talk? :P

Yes. Fender comprehensively ruins every humbucker it ever touches.
Last edited by hawk5211 at Jan 4, 2012,
I played the Special and the Deluxe, and went for the Deluxe. Play them both, and then decide. You can be given a ludicrous amount of information about both guitars, but until you've played them, you'll have no idea which you prefer.
I've always believed that the American Special doesn't differ enough from the (MIM) Standard to justify it's extra cost.

If you are looking at an American-made Stratocaster, I'd suggest the American Standard, Highway 1 (if you can find one anymore), or the American Deluxe.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
you might want to try the american select model. it's technically a deluxe model and is also a fat strat with an s1 switch. it had a very modern tone to it and comes with tex mex single coils and a diamondback humbucker. i bought it because i played a les paul and wanted a strat, and it is basically the bridge between the 2.

however........

after awhile i got sick of it, ripped out the entire pickguard and customized it with fralin single coils and a bunch of other stuff, the thing is tricked out now. but i did it because i wanted it to sound like a strat...not a modernized tone that looks like a strat. if fat strats are your thing and you want the deluxe line then this is the gtr for you.
are there any G&L dealers near you?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i second the american standard hss ( used ) you can grab for around 700 and switch the humbucker .

i paid 700 for my american standard hss .. installed locking tuners ( same as on american deluxe ) 60 $ and a seymour duncan sh-6 humbucker 70 $ ... couldnt be happier . for 830 .. i now have the guitar exactly as i want it .

i didnt like the jumbo frets on the american special .. i prefer medium jumbo on the am. standard /deluxe .. try a american special /highway youll see what i mean . the frets are jumbo and the feel is different to my american standard 2004 .

my vote is used american standard and upgraded the humbucker .

*** i changed the tuners cause i prefer locking tuners for easy string change , but the stock tuners on the american standard are just fine . no need to switch them .. its not really an "upgraded" .

as far as HSS deluxe or standard ... the S1 switch doesnt change a lot . its not an update or a big feature . i have the S1 switch on my american standard 2004 ( fender remove it in 2008 but kept it on the american deluxe ( probably to add feature on the deluxe vs the standart )

for the price difference standard vs deluxe ( nearly 600-700 $ ) there isnt much difference . many cant justified the 600 $ difference .

installed locking tuners , a new humbucker ( and the lsr roller nuts if you want ) and you have very close to an american deluxe ) for around 500 $ cheaper .

for around 800 you could get a very good am. standard strat with the sound you want .

you can add some small feature to make it close to a deluxe for 600 $ cheaper ..

locking tuners 60 $
lsr roller nuts 40 $
humbucker ( duncan dimarzio ) 75 $

buy a 700 $ american hss and upgraded that and you have very close to an american deluxe . ( but you could also leave the original parts and still have a great guitar ) .

im having a hard time justifying the price gap between standard and deluxe . and theres so many american standard for sale around 700/750 . you could score a nice one .

go used cause you dont need to pay for a new factory setup since youll switch humbucker anyway and will do a set up .

anyway if you play hard rock , metal .. even the HSS deluxe humbucker isnt the best so youll end up switching it anyway .

the HSS stock humbucker is a good "all around" humbucker .. not great , not bad .. its medium output to try to please everyone , form blue to heavy metal . . i play thrash metal and punk rock so i switch to a duncan sh-6 ( ceramic 16.6 k) to have more balls . .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 5, 2012,
^^ An new American Std is only $550 cheaper than a Deluxe (here anyway). You're also glossing over the compound fretboard which is a big deal for anyone who likes bending strings. It will alow for lower action than a standard Fender without fretting out.
Moving on.....
Quote by Skysc
for the price difference standard vs deluxe ( nearly 600-700 $ ) there isnt much difference . many cant justified the 600 $ difference .

installed locking tuners , a new humbucker ( and the lsr roller nuts if you want ) and you have very close to an american deluxe ) for around 500 $ cheaper . . .

Really?! $600 cheaper in the US. Over here there is around a £100 difference between them.
Fender > Gibson

Who Said That?!
Quote by gregs1020
are there any G&L dealers near you?

This
they're great guitars and people over look them alot. They are incredibly nice and well priced. and the pickups they put on them are awesome.