Yeah I purchased a used Marshall MGHDFX100 half stack from GC a couple of months ago, and I'm kinda new to the half stack thing. My head on start up makes an insanely weird noise when it's firing up I guess and I'm not entirely sure what it is. The noise dies after about a minute and the amp runs completely fine right from start up. I don't know if I need to get this taken care of or if it's even a problem at all. The noise is in the video below (and the volumes low so turn it up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCxISV3BCU&context=C3e2c762ADOEgsToPDskLghrg7vbdfvo3MZIsPSqTR

Please leave helpful comments here or on the video on youtube. Help is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Jesse
Two biggest problems I saw in your first sentence. 1: you bough a Marshall MG. 2: you bought a used Marshall MG.
Get rid of it, put the money towards any thing else besides another MG or a Line 6 Spider.
Your ears will thank you.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Lol, sounds like a little chainsaw inside the amp.

You better bring it back if you can and get your money back.... and then go and buy a better amp and then you can thank this forum and the amp's noise problem for not owning an MG halfstack any longer.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Koshman32
Two biggest problems I saw in your first sentence. 1: you bough a Marshall MG. 2: you bought a used Marshall MG.
Get rid of it, put the money towards any thing else besides another MG or a Line 6 Spider.
Your ears will thank you.

this +100000000000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have an idea what it might be and you need to look at it quick before it burns up. There an electric fan in the head to cool the inside and you need to make sure that it works because it may be going out (hence the noise). Replace it now.

I know everybody knocks the MG but I don't think they're that bad as my friend had one. His burned up because of the stupid fan not working anymore. Who's gonna know about that crap?

You do now.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Little chainsaw noise inside... sell it to Jesse James Dupree from Jackyl!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
that my good man, is crushing overdrive

give it back to the d*ck that convinced you to buy it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
it's just the fan that cools the components. it's not a problem, please don't spend any money trying to fix it or anything. maybe see if the fan is working properly, but it's definitely the fan
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Jan 4, 2012,
the fan in my old marshall combo does exactly the same thing, not faltered in 2 years of bedroom use and the occasional trip to the pub.