I want to mod my pickups from my stock's to some new Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Trembucker (bridge) and some SH-1 N '59 Black (neck). Only question, will they fit, without having to do some serious overhaul on the pickup slot's? I don't live in an area where I can run to a music shop to ask about it or anything, but as far as I know, these two are the ones that will give me the sound I desire. Need them, or some, to fit a Les Paul Studio Special. Preferably black, as my guitar is gloss ebony. Someone shoot me some pointers, and be specific, please.
get the regular SH-4 JB it is spaced for the TOM style bridges
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

What kind of sound output is it? Looking for (bridge setting) to have pretty heavy distortion and crunch, and (neck setting) to have moderately sharp clean tone's while still remaining flexible enough to be distorted a bit.
Quote by boblittle
what type of sound u lookin for?

Looking for heavy distortion and crunch with bridge position, and sharp clean, to moderate buzz with neck position.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Pole piece spacing doesn't make a sound difference, it's just aesthetics.

Edit: yea, they'll fit, I've only had problems fitting covered pickups in slots where there were uncovered ones before.
Last edited by &baconstrips at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by NexAtrum
What kind of sound output is it? Looking for (bridge setting) to have pretty heavy distortion and crunch, and (neck setting) to have moderately sharp clean tone's while still remaining flexible enough to be distorted a bit.

I have one in a G-400 and it is a pretty diecent pickup. It cleans up pretty diecent, and It will handle any type of distortion I use Punk/Hardcore/Metal just fine. But you do need to be careful, because it doesn't pair good with all wood types.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have one in a G-400 and it is a pretty diecent pickup. It cleans up pretty diecent, and It will handle any type of distortion I use Punk/Hardcore/Metal just fine. But you do need to be careful, because it doesn't pair good with all wood types.

Gotchya, quick question, if you know the answer. The TB-J 4 JB Hot-Rodded, is there any sound difference between it and any other model?
Quote by &baconstrips
Pole piece spacing doesn't make a sound difference, it's just aesthetics.

Edit: yea, they'll fit, I've only had problems fitting covered pickups in slots where there were uncovered ones before.

The slots on mine look big enough for covered, but I don't know about the lock-down wings on the pickups, if they'll slide in the slots or not.
What guitar model do you have, exactly? There's no model called the studio special that I'm aware of. Specials have P-90s, most studios have humbuckers. If you've got P-90s, you're not going to get those pickups in there. If you have humbuckers, any production humbucker is going to fit, with or without a cover.

The different between the TB-4 and the regular JB is the pole spacing. They sound exactly the same. You want the regular JB for a Gibson, not the TB-4.
Quote by Roc8995
If you have humbuckers, any production humbucker is going to fit, with or without a cover.

Not to be a bitch, but I recently replaced some uncovered humbuckers with covered "humbucker sized p90s" and had to sand down the cavities a bit
That's why I said "humbucker" and not "specialty P-90."
Any regular SD, DiMarzio, bareknuckle, etc humbucker is going to drop right in. Those rehoused P-90s get funky with dimensions occasionally, hence your trouble.

Just out of curiosity - which pickups did you use, and what guitar was it?
Ah, I wasn't aware of occasionally funky sized "specialty p90s". I put GFS Surf 90 and Mean 90 in a Yamaha Pacifica 120sj. Huge improvement, but that might just be cause I've discovered I'm a single coil guy.
The covers had a bit of a flare at the bottom which didn't help, no problems with the tabs at all though.

Also, any difference in size would be super minor and easily fixable with a dremel or sandpaper. Since the pickups are mounted to rings and not right to the body, it doesn't matter how the holes look.
Actually guys almost all modern guitars use Trembucker/F Spacing, even Gibsons. Trust me I've swapped out alot of pickups. I had a regular SH-4 JB in my '07 Gibson Flying V and the strings and pole pieces didn't line up. Right now I have a TB-4 JB in my Epiphone Korina Explorer and they do line up in it. All the fixed bridged LTD's I've owned needed F-spaced bridge pickups, too.

This is from DiMarzio's website:
Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including post-1998 Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls, SGs and semi-hollow guitars) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.