A thread devoted to logical discussion. Of course, now all sorts of people will come in and post dumb, illogical things to make me upset
But mainly its for running arguemnts past others to see if they work or suck. not
OH HELL YES METALCORE
A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks on his cell door at noon that day.

Having reflected on his sentence, the prisoner draws the conclusion that he will escape from the hanging. His reasoning is in several parts. He begins by concluding that the "surprise hanging" can't be on Friday, as if he hasn't been hanged by Thursday, there is only one day left - and so it won't be a surprise if he's hanged on Friday. Since the judge's sentence stipulated that the hanging would be a surprise to him, he concludes it cannot occur on Friday.

He then reasons that the surprise hanging cannot be on Thursday either, because Friday has already been eliminated and if he hasn't been hanged by Wednesday night, the hanging must occur on Thursday, making a Thursday hanging not a surprise either. By similar reasoning he concludes that the hanging can also not occur on Wednesday, Tuesday or Monday. Joyfully he retires to his cell confident that the hanging will not occur at all.
The next week, the executioner knocks on the prisoner's door at noon on Wednesday — which, despite all the above, was an utter surprise to him.
Everything the judge said came true.
How does the light/double-slit experiment work?
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by SkepsisMetal
A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks on his cell door at noon that day.

Having reflected on his sentence, the prisoner draws the conclusion that he will escape from the hanging. His reasoning is in several parts. He begins by concluding that the "surprise hanging" can't be on Friday, as if he hasn't been hanged by Thursday, there is only one day left - and so it won't be a surprise if he's hanged on Friday. Since the judge's sentence stipulated that the hanging would be a surprise to him, he concludes it cannot occur on Friday.

He then reasons that the surprise hanging cannot be on Thursday either, because Friday has already been eliminated and if he hasn't been hanged by Wednesday night, the hanging must occur on Thursday, making a Thursday hanging not a surprise either. By similar reasoning he concludes that the hanging can also not occur on Wednesday, Tuesday or Monday. Joyfully he retires to his cell confident that the hanging will not occur at all.
The next week, the executioner knocks on the prisoner's door at noon on Wednesday — which, despite all the above, was an utter surprise to him.

Brilliant.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in. Welcome to ==== www.surprisefirms.com ==
Air Jordan (1-24) shoes $35
UGG BOOT $50
Nike shox (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $35
Handbags ( Coach Lv fendi D&G) $35
T-shirts (polo, ed hardy, lacoste) $16
Jean (True Religion, ed hardy, coogi)$34
Sunglasses ( Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$15
New era cap $16
Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $18 .
=== http://www.surprisefirms.com
Quote by gfhfgfdgdf
Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in. Welcome to ==== www.surprisefirms.com ==
Air Jordan (1-24) shoes $35
UGG BOOT $50
Nike shox (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $35
Handbags ( Coach Lv fendi D&G) $35
T-shirts (polo, ed hardy, lacoste) $16
Jean (True Religion, ed hardy, coogi)$34
Sunglasses ( Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$15
New era cap $16
Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $18 .

Oh really? That's cool. I'll buy one of everything, thank you for taking your time to come and inform us of these amazing deals.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

You could do awesome things with a buttered cat.
Cats always land on their legs, and bread always lands butter side down. Thus, a buttered cat would probably just keep floatiiing
OH HELL YES METALCORE
Quote by SkepsisMetal

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by L2112Lif
So, I have this cat, an indestructable box, and a grenade...

Is this a twist on Schrodinger's cat?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by L2112Lif
So, I have this cat, an indestructable box, and a grenade...

An indestructable box sounds highly illogical.
Quote by Rancid Ivy
How does the light/double-slit experiment work?

This is a horribly bastardized simplification but:

A photon's position is determined by its waveform, because it is an elementary particle, and they have wave/particle dualty. It has an equal likelihood of going through either slit at any given moment in time, undisturbed. But, interacting with another particle will cause interference, and it will be locked to either left or right as a result.

Now, when you shoot them one at a time, there is nothing to interfere with it. It has a 50% chance of being right, and a 50% chance of being left. But it cannot choose by itself. So, with a lack of external forces, it will be both at the same time, until another particle interacts with it, at which point it will become locked to one or the other. This is why there is still the interference pattern even if they are shot one at a time. Observing them gives them the necessary interaction to make interference.
Quote by L2112Lif
Just because something is improbable does not mean that it is illogical.

But an indestructable box is highly impropably. Unless you practice extreme logical positivism on me right now.
Quote by EyeForgot
A thread devoted to logical discussion. Of course, now all sorts of people will come in and post dumb, illogical things to make me upset
But mainly its for running arguments post others to see if they work or suck.

I am a plant!
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.