Hello! I need help finding out what time signature a certain song is in. I have a friend in school who is trying to record a song on piano and she wants to play to a click track so she can add other intstruments to the mix later. I don't remember how the melody goes, but I counted out the beats.

Where a song in 4/4 would go [1-2-3-4][1-2-3-4]...

And a song in 3/4 would go [1-2-3][1-2-3]...

This song however is in a timing unfamiliar to me. It goes as follows:
[1-2-3][1-2-3][1-2]...

So there are 8 beats per measure. It's as if the first 6 beats are played in 3/4, but the last 2 are played in 2/4. Is there a time signature that sums this up? Or is the time signature simply changing?

The reason I ask is because I need to input values into Pro Tools, that will tell the click track to match the timing of the song.

Thanks everyone!
Aha, additives meters. in other words. time signatures that are composed of different ones. In your case 3+3+2/4. They are very rarely used, but in your situation, if you wanted to sum it up into one signature that it how you would write it. Or you could do like you said and constantly change it.
Quote by arnolddrummer
Aha, additives meters. in other words. time signatures that are composed of different ones. In your case 3+3+2/4. They are very rarely used, but in your situation, if you wanted to sum it up into one signature that it how you would write it. Or you could do like you said and constantly change it.

Ok thanks allot So in a music production program such as pro tools, I'd probably have to find a way to lock different tempos into the great at the specific beats they need to be in, because I don't think you can add an additive value such as that
It's an odd meter. The time sig is 8/8 time. Check this link for an explanation.

EDIT: Oops, thought you were talking about eighth notes.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by rockingamer2
It's an odd meter. The time sig is 8/8 time. Check this link for an explanation.

EDIT: Oops, thought you were talking about eighth notes.

Hey thanks anyway! I'm not to savy on music theory, but can't I just leave it in 8/8, and cut the tempo in half to account for that?