Hey Guys,

Want to Buy: Pedalboard cable kit OR cables+connectors to make my own (I need several 6"ish cables and a few 10' cables)
Budget: Under $100 CAD, but I'd like to keep it under $75 if possible
Current Gear: See sig. I currently have two 10' and one 20' Planet Waves cables

What do you guys recommend? I know you get what you pay for when it comes to cables, and I'd rather go for quality here. I'm not sold on solderless connections, so I'd really appreciate any input and advice. I've read that some people on these forums make their own cables. If you have experience with this, please recommend a company that makes quality cables and connectors, and ships to Canada. Thanks!

Mike
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by mmolteratx
http://www.guitar-cable.com

Buy the house brand stuff for ~$.40 per foot and whatever connectors you want.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! Is it worth going for any of the more expensive cables, like these Oxygen-Free cables, or would the $0.40/ft cables suffice? I don't mind spending a little extra cash to get better quality stuff if it's going to last me a while.

Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't trust solderless stuff myself. If you can solder well, it'll be tons more sturdy than any kit.

I buy pancake plugs from Radioshack here in the US, super rugged IMO, better than other similar style ones I've used. Not sure if that will be available for you, though.

Thanks for your input! When I first read about the solderless cables I was very skeptical, which is why I started this thread. Radioshack is called "The Source" here in Canada. I checked out a few locations in my area and couldn't find cables or connectors. I'm going to check out a few more this week and hopefully I'll have some luck.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
I use george L cable and solder my own plugs on (I forget what kind). If they ever break its super easy to resolder, but once you get good at soldering and crimping the cable in the plug properly they'll be super sturdy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Can you solder? If so just buy a roll of cable (bargains to be had on Ebay regularly) and a handful of nice connectors. I always take a soldering iron to gigs. If your idiot roady rolls an SVT on an 8x10 across your cable you can knock up a new one in a few minutes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by forsaknazrael
Call, or maybe look at the website. I often order stuff from the website to be in stock at my local store. Doesn't cost a dime!

Awesome idea! I'm going to check out the Source website and see what I can find. Thanks!

Quote by Kevin Saale
I use george L cable and solder my own plugs on (I forget what kind). If they ever break its super easy to resolder, but once you get good at soldering and crimping the cable in the plug properly they'll be super sturdy.

Thanks for your help! I was looking into George L cables, but read about several issues in various threads. Have you had any issues? Let me know if you remember what kind of connectors you're using!

Quote by Cathbard
Can you solder? If so just buy a roll of cable (bargains to be had on Ebay regularly) and a handful of nice connectors. I always take a soldering iron to gigs. If your idiot roady rolls an SVT on an 8x10 across your cable you can knock up a new one in a few minutes.

I've never soldered before, but I want to learn. It seems like a valuable skill for a guitarist! I don't see any problems as I'm good with my hands and my dad has lots of experience. I plan to have him teach and help me out with these cables. I never thought of checking eBay! Great idea...thanks!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
I've never had a problem. I originally crimped the connectors to the cable wrong, but they still took quite a long time for the solder connection to go bad, now that I crimped them properly (the outer coating is what the connector should be crimped to) they're super solid.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I've never had a problem. I originally crimped the connectors to the cable wrong, but they still took quite a long time for the solder connection to go bad, now that I crimped them properly (the outer coating is what the connector should be crimped to) they're super solid.

I usually use Canare or Mogami cable with Switchcraft plugs. I also crimped them wrong initially. The Canare cable has a thin outer shell and a very dense braided shield. I stripped the outer shell back and crimped the ground right around the braid. Afterwards though, I filled the entire tip with hot glue and put a layer of heat shrink around it. I honestly can't see it being any more secure if it was crimped around the shell instead of the braid. I'll try a couple the correct way next time, but I prefer the way I did it to be honest.
Thanks for your help, everyone! I think I'm going to go with this cable with right angle connectors for my pedalboard and straight connectors for everything else.

50ft cable x $0.42/ft = $21.00
10 right angle connectors x $3.27 = $32.70
10 straight connectors x $1.77 = $17.70

Total = $71.40 + shipping + taxes

Seems in line with my budget, but I'm getting killed on the right angle connectors! Are there any less expensive alternatives, or should I just suck it up and get these?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
The Switchcraft 226 is cheaper for a right angle plug but isn't quite as flat as the pancake style you are looking at. Those are actually good prices for the pancakes. They commonly sell for over $5. Be aware that the pancakes are harder to solder from what I've heard.
Quote by poppameth
The Switchcraft 226 is cheaper for a right angle plug but isn't quite as flat as the pancake style you are looking at. Those are actually good prices for the pancakes. They commonly sell for over $5. Be aware that the pancakes are harder to solder from what I've heard.

Awesome, thanks! I was just looking at the 226, actually! I'm building a pedalbaord large enough to accommodate ~15 boss-sized pedals, so for now real estate isn't an issue. TBH, I much prefer the looks of the pancakes, and switching to the 226 will only save me a few bucks. I'll send the links to my dad and see what he'd be comfortable soldering.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
I just got my new batch of Canare GS-6 cable in. The outer jacket is much thicker on this batch. I can definitely see the advantage to crimping the plugs on the jacket now.
The trick with pancakes is to tin the braid on the cable before you start. Then pour the heat into the plug first so the solder melts into it before attempting to attach the braid. The centre conductor is no different to anything else but the body really sucks up the heat. Try to attach the braid before the plug is hot and you'll just melt the inner insulation on the cable.

And do yourself a favour and get one of these:

They are called a third hand.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
The trick with pancakes is to tin the braid on the cable before you start. Then pour the heat into the plug first so the solder melts into it before attempting to attach the braid. The centre conductor is no different to anything else but the body really sucks up the heat. Try to attach the braid before the plug is hot and you'll just melt the inner insulation on the cable.

And do yourself a favour and get one of these:
They are called a third hand.

Thanks for the tips, Cathbard. They're much appreciated

I found a few electronic component suppliers/wholesalers in Ontario today. I was checking out their websites, and I'm going to visit a couple tomorrow to take a look at their cables and connectors. If I can find decent quality stuff for similar prices, I'm going to pick up what I need rather than order it over the internet.

Obviously I'm a complete newb at this stuff, so could you guys give me some tips on what to look for? What type, gauge, shielding, etc. of cable should I be getting? What qualities should I be looking for in connectors?

EDIT: I've also found these connectors on eBay: Straight and Angled. Are these connectors any good?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Jan 5, 2012,
I've found these are pretty good for a buck.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speaker-Cable-TS-Mono-Phono-1-4-Plug-Connector-/140584812419?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item20bb81ff83#ht_3006wt_1167

They aren't going to be as good as things like Switchcraft or any number of "brandname" plugs but for spare cables or at home, quite acceptable. Use them to practice on or just to have stashed away for emergencies. They're a bit chunky but fairly solid. And like I said, they're a buck each. Grab 10 and chuck some in your gig toolkit. You never know when you're going to need a 1/4" phono plug.

They are actually speaker plugs which just means that they don't have a backbone for the braid, you just have two contacts. They are really easy to use. Peel out enough braid so you can twist it into a strand that just fits through the hole and just cut the rest of the braid off. Cut it back nice and cleanly. Pull the braid right through the hole and bridge the gap with the inner.
These are great for speaker cables. Use a lump of mains extension cable. Use two of the wires in it for the speakers and chop off the third wire. Presto! One great speaker cable. The wire will be 10 amp - that's more than the plug can probably handle. Plus extension cables are as tough as nails. You've probably got an old mains cable kicking around somewhere so a good speaker cable just cost you $3.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification