Gooooood evening UG,

Let's cut to the chase... I'm looking for a small (physically) tube amp with a fat, clean sound. I do not need a second channel. I would like volume, treble, mid, and bass controls. This is going to be a clean platform amp for my own listening pleasure and random jam sessions/small gigs.

I'm thinkin' 15 Watts is plenty. Mainly it just needs to be clean with the ability to go to a mild overdrive. I have an OCD and Big Muff Pi for dirt.

I'm selling my Super Sonic 60 to fund this. It is just not my thing...

I've been looking and the best I can come up with is:

Fender Blues Jr.
Vox AC15C1
Tweaker
Fender Hot Rod Pro Jr.
Traynor YCV20 (almost forgot that one)

I hope someone can guide me to a suitable choice. Be it one of these or a different amp.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Last edited by Peeno at Jan 4, 2012,
First of all, if I were describing the Blues Jr., the words "fat" and "clean" would never appear in the description. In my humblest opinion, it's thin and scratchy and doesn't clean up well.

The Pro Jr., on the other hand, is delightful clean. Harmonically rich, full, powerful sounding. Only problem is, when playing with a drummer, you can't keep it totally clean. It just doesn't move enough air. Should point out, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a TMB tone stack.

I haven't played the Tweaker, but the Egnator Rebel 20 and Rebel 30 both have magnificent cleans. If the Tweaker is as good as they are, it would be a great choice.

The Vox is all about sparkle and chime. It doesn't have a big, thick low end. Great amp, one of my personal favorites, but it doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Haven't played the Traynor. Traynors in general are pretty good, but that's all I can say about that.

So out of those, I'd get either the Pro Jr. or the Tweaker. I'd also add the Rebel 20 to the list. If you can afford it, the Fender Deluxe Reverb might be worth putting on the list, but it's ungodly expensive.

Your best option is to find as many of them as possible in your area and try them each with a guitar as much like your own as possible (by which I mean, bring your own guitar if they'll let you--and they'll let you).
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
I'd keep my eye out for Fender Princetons or Deluxe reverbs on whatever used gear site (craigslist, kijiji, ect) in your area. you can score a Blackface RI for under $800 easy, and the Silverface amps are even less.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
+1 to the Rebel 30. Awesome amps. Great cleans. Nice fat and warm.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'd heard Voz were pretty good. They sound pretty good when paired up with a Les Paul.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
What's your budget?

Budda Superdrive 18 or a Marshall 1974X clone sounds right up your alley.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The 1974's really, really dirty. Nice saturated Marshall distortion, but I wouldn't recommend it for cleans.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
i would also recommend either the vox AC15 or maybe something like a fender princeton. the deluxe reverb is a great choice but it doesnt have mid control if that's something that you are looking for
Quote by AeolianSeventh
First of all, if I were describing the Blues Jr., the words "fat" and "clean" would never appear in the description.
I'm not even sure if "Fat and Clean" go together at all unless you're equating Fat and Jazzy.
Mesa Boogie Lone Star, since you're not really throwing out a price range. Those are some deliciously warm cleans. You could put them on a carving board, serve them with a nice gravy, and eat them for dinner.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I've tried to find a place to try that Ampeg, but I can't find it or an older model anywhere. Even on eBay the listings for the old model are scarce and I can't find the new one.

As much as I'd love to have a Budda, the price is a bit much. I'm not exactly sure how much money I'm looking at since I haven't sold the Super Sonic, yet.

I'll look more into the Princeton, it may be what I'm after. I'll have to add it to the list to try. As far as the more expensive suggestions go, I'm always on the lookout for a good used deal, but used listings here in Oklahoma City are pretty terrible/nonexistent for the most part.

Once again, thank you all. Extra thanks to AeolianSeventh for the breakdown.

If there are any more suggestions I'd love to hear them!
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
I'm bookmarking that link. I'm going to go try one before I buy it, though. Thanks for that!
Blues Juniors could fit that bill, but I agree with the guy above that says they're a little harsh... Until you change the speaker. I got my BJ (giggity) for $300 used and threw a ~$60 Cannabis Rex speaker in there along with some new tubes and the only way I'd describe it now is fat and clean. I'm kind of like you, in that I mostly play by myself, but occasionally I jam with drums, or other guitarists. The Blues Junior is fine if you really mean occasional, but if you're buying it to play with drums I'd look elsewhere. It can keep up with drums, but I wouldn't want to rely on it if I played with drums often.

Basically, don't overlook the BJr just based on what that guy says, but I wouldn't say he's wrong.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gregs1020
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/2742088645.html - tweaker combo, $300

it's worth checking out. when you put 6L6 power tubes in it you get some nice headroom.

although EL34s or KT77s hit the midrange growl quite nicely and still add some headroom over the stock 6V6s.

i had a tweaker head, and it had very nice cleans imo.

+1 on the Tweaker. I have EL34s in mine and I love it. Considering getting a pair of 6L6s for more versatility. $300 is a good price for it, too! I also like the Vox AC15. I can't really speak for any of the other amps as I haven't played on any of them extensively.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Once again, thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone. I ended up going with the Vox AC15C1. This thing sounds awesome when I get those power tubes going! Even though it is a low watt amp, I'm pretty impressed with its ability to stay clean at decent volumes. This thing really sings when you crank it.

Thanks again! I just need an MXR Carbon Copy and maybe a tube driven distiortion/OD pedal and I'll be good to go.