--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been playing guitar for 3 years. Im now starting a band, we play on playing songs like van halen, ozzy, def leppard and just about any popular band from the 80's. I need a suggestion on a setlist and suggestions about learning solos from some of these bands. Were looking to have atleast 20 songs on a set list. Does anyone have any suggestions. Also we dont have a keyboard player.

Songs that I already know:

Van Halen: Aint talkin bout love, Panama
Bon Jovi: You Give Love a Badname, Wanted Dead or Alive
Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit
Ozzy: Mama Im coming home. Crazy Train, Iron Man
Def Leppard: Photograph, too late for love, armageddon it, hysteria
About any of the popular AC/DC songs I can play
Were looking to have atleast 20 songs on a set list.

My first tip? Don't worry about having 20 covers on a setlist, since you'll likely only ever play places where you play three at most in the beginning. You might get lucky and get to between five and eight if you get solo gigs, but stick to making sure each song is quality and tight to start with.
Quote by squilly_willy

Also we dont have a keyboard player.

Well thats a shame.

Anyways Id say learn about 4 or 5 tops. And consult with you're other band members as well, what songs they like, what they can and can't play. Especailly for vocals, you have to consider range.

out of the songs you know so far :
Aint talkin bout love, Panama, Wanted Dead or Alive Smells Like Teen Spirit, Crazy Train, Iron Man and maybe an ACDC song would be good crowd pleasers. You want to go for songs that people can recognize that aren't too heavy (not too much thrash or death).
Play Scream Bloody Gore. It will go perfect with your setlist.

On a serious note though, play some DIO either Rainbow in the Dark or I Speed at Night.

Also some Iron Maiden songs.
20...songs? Most headlining bands that are famous barely play 20.
Also, get some originals. There's something very tedious about a band that just plays covers unless you're an actual cover/tribute band.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Never mind a keyboard

You need a keytar. Then it won't matter what songs you play, or how many. The audience will just be mesmerised.
Does Black Flag count as popular 80's music? Or the Descendents? You should do some stuff by them, it'll be more fun.
you're a stone fox
Just a few:

White Lion - Little Fighter
Loudness - Crazy Nights
Enuff Z'Nuff - New Thing

Quote by SkepsisMetal
You need a keytar. Then it won't matter what songs you play, or how many. The audience will just be mesmerised.

The keytar is going to make a comeback. A friend of mine and I decided that we'll bring it back ourselves, if we have to. He doesn't play keyboard though, so he'll just have to pretend.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jan 4, 2012,
Thanks for all the comments, if you were listening to 80's covers what would be the main songs that you would expect to hear?
Quote by squilly_willy
Bon Jovi: You Give Love a Badname

Stopped reading there.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by squilly_willy
Thanks for all the comments, if you were listening to 80's covers what would be the main songs that you would expect to hear?

I think you would be better off playing songs that aren't super cliched, ones that were big hits and good songs, but that you wouldn't expect. So the songs would be enjoyable, but also a pleasant surprise as well, rather than the same old songs that everyone always covers.

Also be sure to think about the order of the setlist. Since you're playing 80's rock, power ballads are a must, but you don't want all power ballads, and you don't want to play too many in a row, so be sure to mix up the ballads with the hard rocking songs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Just play all the hits/radio friendly songs that everyone knows.
Nothing else matters,
Sandman,
Sweet Child,
P.City,
Back in Black,
Thunderstruck,
Smels like teen spirit,
The Wall,
What is love (whitesnake),
Wanted dead or alive( bon jovi), more than words ( extreme),
hmmmm hmmmm (by crash test dummies)
poker face ( gaga)

Wow... that turned out to be a weird list lol...

EDIT: damn it, i missed the 80s part :|
Last edited by DocArunas at Jan 5, 2012,
WELCOME TO THE PIT!!

YOUR BUTTOCKS WILL SOON GAPE IN HORROR

edit: what the fuck is this bullshit that keeps changing my capital letters
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Last edited by PowerOfGlove at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by cfhdomination
Just play Freebird for your entire set. That'll really get your audience going.

I don't think TS wants them to get going in that way though.
20 songs is too much? I am not sure about current gigs, but back in the late 80's and early 90's when I played in a band, our night lasted 3-4 hours. You had to have a large amount of songs ready to play. Even now, when I go to listen to a band in PCB the sets are well over 2 hours, mostly 3, and a lot of songs are played.

unless this is a frat, pool party, you have to play longer than the "headline" bands usually play.
You can't go wrong with Paranoid.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by seniormeld
Play Scream Bloody Gore. It will go perfect with your setlist.

On a serious note though, play some DIO either Rainbow in the Dark or I Speed at Night.

Also some Iron Maiden songs.

This. Learn Aces High. Kick-ass song. I've just finished learning it.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"