first time mixing something! would love some crit on the mix and on the actual song, thanks!

will C4C too

NEW VERSION:

http://snd.sc/xMWFD0
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Last edited by !Mike! at Jan 12, 2012,
You have some crazy guitar work going on there, this would be tight with some vocals, theres nothing really negative i can say about the guitar work but i do think the mix could use some work, try playing around with compression and eq to bring out the drums.. everythings a little squashed together if you know what i mean? mixing is something you just get better at the more you practise so keep at it and you'll get it

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28866825
i agree with the muddy statement, its still there in the heavy second part but it feels more in place there, i wish the intro was a little clearer but the playing itself is good. i too think this would benefit from vocals if theyre not already in the plan. this sounds to be like the finished up instrumental version of a song waiting to be sung over. i cant see the time but about 3/4 away through, right before the solo, the cymbal sound was getting old to me. i can still hear it in the back but the solo does swoop in and capture the attention. i highly doubt anyone will still be listening to the cymbal hits at this point. with that being said, the solo might have taken a little too long to happen. it actually kind of caught me off guard when i probably should have been expecting it because i had gotten so far into it without hearing it. the mix sounds pretty good overall though, ill give you a tip that helps me that you might already know (i cant remember where i read it and it might have been on here). when youre working on the mixing take a minute to actually step out of the room with it playing on speakers. it gives you a different perspective and you can judge from a distance compared to what a song from a band you like might sound if you just heard it outside.

anyway thanks for checking out my song as well, cheers
yeah i shouldve said in the initial post that were planning to add vocals to this song, pretty much all the songs we make are made to compliment vocals but we need a vocalist haha

@Danij: thanks man i was trying to get the drums more definitive so ill try adding some compression on the whole drum kit, i only added a little bit on the kick so you could hear them better. and yeah i know the muddyness is kind of annoying haha but i guess im not experienced enough yet to get a really definitive mix

@aaron: thanks, and yeah im gonna lower the bass hit i thought it sounded too low in the mix but once i put a limiter on it it was pretty overpowering

@jmako: thanks, i was having alot of trouble trying to get the intro to just sound good, the more i worked on it the worse it was getting os i decided to settle with that mix haha, im stumped on how to get it sounding more clear. and yeah the drums have much to be improved on, my drummers finally agreed on actually making drum parts (we use midi and he doesnt know how to make drums on a computer so yeah). and yes i agree with the fact that the solo took too long, that parts actually supposed to be a build up and i just couldnt find good free vsts for strings and such so i just left it like that, once we find a vocalist i will redo the mix and will try extra hard to find some good vsts.

also thanks for the tip on testing the song from outside! ill make sure to try that next time we record!
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

Thanks for checking out my song, now yours isn't the sort of music that I usually listen to so I'm not the best judge, but I can say I prefer it to a lot of the stuff I heard when I went to see a bunch of prog metal bands. THe guitar work is good and I particularly like the solo, a lot of people just tend to shred for this sort of thing. Liked the drums as well, powerfull but not over the top. Be interesting to hear what you sound like with a singer though, make sure you get a good one!
Hey guys I changed up the mix completely and the drums more, this is the mix my band decided to settle with until we get a vocalist, sorry if bumpings not alllowed but I didnt want to make another thread for the same song
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15