Im thinking about buying a half stack, im on a budget, im looking to buy one under $400. Any suggestions? I play 80s rock like Van Halen and Def Leppard
Look used. Won't get much for $400.
Are you wanting tube? Do you plan on gigging/practice/bedroom playing?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
kustom has a 100 watt head and a cab for $379.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
if you up yout budget to 500. randall, crate, raven, and b-52 also have budget half stacks.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
if you up yout budget to 500. randall, crate, raven, and b-52 also have budget half stacks.
And they all sound like shit.
Quote by Koshman32
Look used. Won't get much for $400.
Are you wanting tube? Do you plan on gigging/practice/bedroom playing?

Gigging/Practice
Quote by al112987
And they all sound like shit.

just giving the man what hes asking for.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
You can't just say that. A Crate GX-130 is NOT what TS wants. A Blue Voodoo, is a possibility IDK I haven't played them much.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Good luck finding a half stack for $400 that will get you any kind of decent tone, a friken decent 4x12 costs $400 alone.

Just get a combo like everyone else, you'll be much happier not having to lug a 60 pound cab around, plus a 30-40 pound amp.
You might be able to find a Peavey Windsor head for cheap. then use the rest for a cab if you're that dead set on like so many other stubborn forum goers
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
+1 to the Windsor. Also, look into a 6505/+ combo.
OP, why the hell do u need a stack?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Why does no one ever make these threads with the intention of having a realistic budget. TS, save your pennies and get something to last you a few years.

Seriously though, why does everyone think that you can get ANY kind of decent halfstack for that price? If you want a good halfstack you're looking at LEAST 900 dollars on a VERY good day. There needs to be a sticky or something that directs all of the halfstack questions there, to show people that a budget of less than 800 is completely unreasonable.

Most of the time anyway.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Jan 5, 2012,
Used Peavey Windsor. You'll also need a couple pedals, an OD for starts. It's a tight budget, but you might be able to squeeze by.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
used carvin x100b head and a beat to hell bloo voodoo 412 off craigslist.

maybe you can squeeze it in under $400.

until you can afford another 412 anyway.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by valennic
Why does no one ever make these threads with the intention of having a realistic budget.

TS, if you hold on to your cash for the right time you can find some amazing deals. I got my Avatar 4x12 for $100, and sure don't plan on paying >$400 for a 6505. $500 half stack.

A damned good one too.

You probably don't have the patience necessary to get deals like me though.

I'm just going to go ahead and say this. I don't care what you're thinking. You don't NEED a half stack. At all. And for that budget, you'll regret it in a couple years anyway. It'd be worth your money to just invest in something that sounds good rather than something that looks cool.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
blue voodoo could work. i got mine for $200 and finally found what i am doing to mod it (the whole reason why i bought it in the first place). as far as a cab goes, be patient. i swipe up a lot of cabs just for the speakers. but for $200 i got an avatar 4x12" with two Celestion EVH signature speakers in X pattern with V30's. he even gave me the receipt on the speakers, all of which he bought in the last month. that is a really good deal. i got an 80's peavey cab for $160 with Engilsh K-85's in it. be patient. i have a feeling you will get lucky if you take the time. i got Kustom cab with English T-75's in trade for a line6 spider cab. cabs aren't that great, the speakers are pretty nice though. just look and find it.

you don't need a halfstack to gig. it can be done with a 2x12" cab or even a 1x12" ,etc.

they are more of a pain in the ass to haul. suck going up stairs (takes more effort if it is just you carrying it).

you might get a little better projection, but that is about it, and still rather iffy.

however it seems like 2x12"s are more expensive than 4x12"s around here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Personally I'd rather have a 2X12 and head than a 212 combo. I'd rather make the 2nd trip up the stairs with 2 moderately heavy boxes than a single trip with one that's heavy as shit, and slightly awkward in size.

And 412 cabs are ridiculous. You ever carried one up and down a tight staircase by yourself. It's far more work than it's worth. If it's just gonna sit in your basement and look all badass, then sure, go for it. It's your money. If you ever plan on transporting it, just do yourself a favor and grab a 212. I had a 412, and I honestly didn't really hear any percieved difference between it and my 212.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Personally I'd rather have a 2X12 and head than a 212 combo. I'd rather make the 2nd trip up the stairs with 2 moderately heavy boxes than a single trip with one that's heavy as shit, and slightly awkward in size.

And 412 cabs are ridiculous. You ever carried one up and down a tight staircase by yourself. It's far more work than it's worth. If it's just gonna sit in your basement and look all badass, then sure, go for it. It's your money. If you ever plan on transporting it, just do yourself a favor and grab a 212. I had a 412, and I honestly didn't really hear any percieved difference between it and my 212.

+1
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.