YAY! I'm sure its only been done a bajillion times...

I'm looking for a compressor to get some better sustain out of my guitars, and a pitch shifter to sound more like a bassist when jamming with my friend who plays keyboard (as guitar and keyboard pretty much share the same frequency range, I think).

I went out of town and played through a EHX Soul Preacher today, which was pretty sweet, sustained forever, not sure how much it compressed the sound, soft notes louder, etc.

I can get a pitch shifter that shifts the signal down an octave, but its a Behringer, and I don't really want to buy one, but its the only pitch shifter pedal in town.

Any other suggestions?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
As far as compressors go, I vouch for the MXR Dyna Comp. Great little pedal. Simple and durable as hell.

As for the pitch shifter, perhaps the Morpheus Droptune? I've heard lots of good things about them.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
I'll definitely check the MXR out.

As for the Morpheus: I'm not too sure. I dont want to pay that much for only one setting that I am going to use (octave down). If I was to get something that expensive, I would just get the Digitech Whammy. I just want a simple, half-decent octave down, and I don't know anyone who makes simple octave-downs. They're usually along the lines of a POG.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
budget will help.

Diamond Comp is the best out there though.
mojostompboxes.com
Lets say $100 max for both. Give or take a little bit.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I judt got a T-Rex Tonebug comp/sustainer and it sounds pretty decent. Paid $55 USD on Ebay for it. I think I am still in the honeymoon period, the sustainer side of it doesn't seem to do too much but I think it would affect say, a semi-hollow, a lot more.

Makes my cleans very nice, and when it's off it's true bypass.

On a solid body guitar, your going to get more SUSTAIN from raising your strings a bit and adding a little vibrato. A compressor is no substitute for that.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 5, 2012,
Don't get the Behringer, man. Trust me. It may be very cheap, but it'll wound your inner child.

Can't say what'd be a good one, though. Seems the better options for a pitch shifter are usually high priced (Line 6, Morpheus)
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
IMO a compressor may not be what you want for sustain. Distortion adds sustain to the signal. Most long sustained notes are created by distortion, some feedback, and even the type of guitar and pups.

A compressor can help some, but I doubt it is your final answer. A compressor with your Tele is great for that Chicken Pick'n country sound.

Another recommendation.. the MXR Classic Overdrive created specifically for Guitar Center is $40 and a great pedal.
I'll second the MXR Classic Overdrive. I have an MXR Distortion III, and the Classic OD is just a Distortion III in a different casing. With the distortion knob turned all the way down, and the level turned up, you can get some nice clean sustain. There are some mods you can do as well, but that's another thread.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
I have a Bad Monkey too, it's a little digital for my taste, but I guess it'll do. When I use distortion, I just use my Engl's "Clean Lead" distortion/crunch whatever it is. I want it to be a little "fatter", but I am playing through a Tele, and I'm sure I could EQ it to be what I want.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
If you want a fatter sound, how about changing the middle position on your 3-way to Series instead of parallel. That's an option, and it's cheap and reversible if you don't like it. If you can't do it yourself, I doubt any self-respecting shop would charge you much for a couple solder points.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Pigtronix philosophers tone.

Boss shifter? Idk man, most octave based effects aren't Polyphonic, which means chords come out warbled and broken. Best thing would be to eq both keyboard and guitar
Quote by fly135
IMO a compressor may not be what you want for sustain. Distortion adds sustain to the signal. Most long sustained notes are created by distortion, some feedback, and even the type of guitar and pups.

TS, if this sounds right to you, get an EHX Big Muff Pi of some sort. You'd love it. It's a distortion/sustainer pedal. Gives a classic, thick sound.

For the octave, if you're feeling saucy, look into an INFANEM Second Voice. It's more of a synth octave generator, but it can get some real nice beefy sounds on the octave down or perfect 5th down settings.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by AWACS
I have a Bad Monkey too, it's a little digital for my taste, but I guess it'll do.
Well you at least have to give the BM credit for the remarkable feat of sounding digital even though it's analog.
Quote by Ashe_Mc
Pigtronix philosophers tone.
+1 for octave fuzz.

Edit: whoops... strike the above, I'm thinking of the Pigtronix Disnortion
Last edited by fly135 at Jan 6, 2012,