Could somebody please explain to me how this type of picking motion is achieved?

Are there any videos that someone could refer me to possibly that explain how this type of motion is applied to picking?

Also could someone please tell me what kind of picking the player in this video is using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNGKV2Ww3Q

What picking motions are most efficient and could you give me a reason why?

Sorry I know thats alot of questions but If you know the answer to any of them Id appreciate if you let me know.
Last edited by dannydawiz at Jan 5, 2012,
Searchbar: Persuasive writing in explaining the superior efficiency of oscillation picking. I first encountered this picking style as "circular picking", and later on sometimes as "circle picking".

As for the video, I have no idea what you mean. The guy is playing normal as far as I can tell.

Also I'm inclined to believe the universal guide that each picking style has its merits and demerits - use what method you feel is right blah blah mumble mumble etc etc.

hope this helped
Quote by mdc

Thanks for the video it was extremely helpful!

Quote by gRiLeD cHiKen
Searchbar: Persuasive writing in explaining the superior efficiency of oscillation picking. I first encountered this picking style as "circular picking", and later on sometimes as "circle picking".

As for the video, I have no idea what you mean. The guy is playing normal as far as I can tell.

Also I'm inclined to believe the universal guide that each picking style has its merits and demerits - use what method you feel is right blah blah mumble mumble etc etc.

hope this helped

Are you sure about this? From the video I just watched circle picking and oscillation picking seem to be two completely different ways of picking. Circle picking involves the muscles in your thumb and index finger.

Of course I'm not trying to imply that one method is better than the other but I'm trying to experiment and find out which method fits my personal preference.

Thanks for the thread though It helped me gain some valuable information!
Quote by dannydawiz
Are you sure about this? From the video I just watched circle picking and oscillation picking seem to be two completely different ways of picking. Circle picking involves the muscles in your thumb and index finger.

Of course I'm not trying to imply that one method is better than the other but I'm trying to experiment and find out which method fits my personal preference.

Thanks for the thread though It helped me gain some valuable information!

It's a weird thing to try and explain really.

Circle picking is indeed the idea of using your thumb and finger to pick. Some people manage to make it work really well but I wouldn't advise it as a good way of going about things as a conscious method of playing. Generally your thumb and finger have enough to do just holding the pick, why should you give them more to do when there are other muscle sets that work really well for the motions of picking?

The idea of circular picking as in that post linked above is more about the actual path of motion that the pick takes rather than which of the three planes of movement it's moving along or where the motion is coming from. It's an interesting idea but really if you practice well it's something that might take you from the top 2% of pickers in the world to the top 1.5% of pickers but for 99.9999% of people... there are other, more important things that you should be working on instead.

The whole oscillation thing is one of the three planes of motion available to pick with as explained in Freepower's excellent video. Again, something to keep in mind but not what your first priority should be since there are much more important things to do.

As for Syu, his picking is very oscillation, watch Freepower's video a few more times if you don't know how I got to that conclusion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's an interesting idea but really if you practice well it's something that might take you from the top 2% of pickers in the world to the top 1.5% of pickers but for 99.9999% of people... there are other, more important things that you should be working on instead.

Absolutely, I can't emphasize this enough - unless you're already really good at picking there's no point isolating individual planes of movement and the phsyiology of it. Getting good posture and paying attention to economy of motion will do it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's a weird thing to try and explain really.

Circle picking is indeed the idea of using your thumb and finger to pick. Some people manage to make it work really well but I wouldn't advise it as a good way of going about things as a conscious method of playing. Generally your thumb and finger have enough to do just holding the pick, why should you give them more to do when there are other muscle sets that work really well for the motions of picking?

The idea of circular picking as in that post linked above is more about the actual path of motion that the pick takes rather than which of the three planes of movement it's moving along or where the motion is coming from. It's an interesting idea but really if you practice well it's something that might take you from the top 2% of pickers in the world to the top 1.5% of pickers but for 99.9999% of people... there are other, more important things that you should be working on instead.

The whole oscillation thing is one of the three planes of motion available to pick with as explained in Freepower's excellent video. Again, something to keep in mind but not what your first priority should be since there are much more important things to do.

As for Syu, his picking is very oscillation, watch Freepower's video a few more times if you don't know how I got to that conclusion.

I appreciate it for taking the time to write all of that out. There are definitely alot of important things that I need to work on other than my picking like you said. I was just trying to experiment with the different motions and see which ones felt most efficient for my playing style. My picking has been holding me back in alot of areas lately and I'm trying to over that weakness as soon as possible.

I can see what your saying. Oscillation picking seems to look more like an up and down motion almost as if knocking on a door :P

Thanks for the post and I wish you the best!

Quote by Freepower
Absolutely, I can't emphasize this enough - unless you're already really good at picking there's no point isolating individual planes of movement and the phsyiology of it. Getting good posture and paying attention to economy of motion will do it.

Once again Freepower you always seem to have the answers to my problems. Your videos lately have all been extremely helpful in taking my playing to the next level and I thank you for that. I've been practicing your monster alternate picking excercise. Finding it extremely beneficial at this point! Thanks for the accurate knowledge and videos. You have my best regards!
Last edited by dannydawiz at Jan 6, 2012,
I frakking love Syu. By far one of my favorite guitarists. I've studied his playing a lot. He uses a mix between rotation and oscillation. It's really all about experimenting with everything and applying what you find to be the most natural, relaxing, and economical movement for you. For the most part, I'd say it's not very practical to attempt to purely use only one of the planes.

For a very clear look at his rotation, watch this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF6dH_exFZg
Online Lessons on Music are the Aim of Tutor Earth if some can help Tutor Earth to bring great level of Knowledge in Music and Guitar and video can be created by the Skilled tutor, we welcome him or her in Tuto Earth to enlighten the Earth with his or her skills - it will be really great help for the people from across the Earth who doesn't have much knowledge on Guitar - the video can be seen here about tutor Earth who is seeking help from all members here -

http://www.tutorearth.com/2012/08/03/tutor-earth-introduction-video/
Just cause you can never have enough J-guitarists (or examples of picking), this is by far the best example of Oscillation picking I've ever seen. Almost all his motion comes from his thumb/index.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yTkULjdzI - Solo at 1:40~
Although I regret that someone bumped my thread which was made 7 months ago thanks for the help anyways Diminished.

Also as a heads up to many of the anonymous users reading this thread, focusing on the picking motions was the worst mistake that I could've ever possibly made. Don't follow my example in this thread because if you have to think about the motions your making while you're practicing then you aren't giving your brain the practice it needs to transfer the information into your subconscious.