Hi. I'll try to keep this short and sweet, since it's probably been done to death.

I'm trying to record some electric guitar, with the following equipment:

-Behringer XENYX 502 (5-input mixer with mic pre-amp)
-SM57 microphone
-REAPER and/or Audacity (problem persists in both software [what's the proper plural of 'software'? ])

I have it set up so that my mic runs into the mixer's pre-amp, and then I run a cable from the left out on the board into the microphone jack on my computer. I thought having a mixer to run the signal through first would have cut this hiss/hum out of my recordings (since it was present before I bought it). I can remove the noise with Audacity's noise removal tool, but it leaves ugly artifacts behind that ruin the prospect of any decent recording above a demo level. If it helps, both the mixer and the amp are plugged into the same outlet, and my computer has a stock soundcard.

EDIT:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dh0vpk75aq0zmh1

This is a sample of the noise I'm getting. This comes through the entire time, regardless if anything is playing or not.
Last edited by FlyingPirahna at Jan 5, 2012,
I think software is singular and plural.

Anyways, try lowering your input volumes. This may help, but I'm not 100% certain. You should be able to setup a noise gate without it ruining the mix.
Quote by ronhoward
I think software is singular and plural.

Anyways, try lowering your input volumes. This may help, but I'm not 100% certain. You should be able to setup a noise gate without it ruining the mix.

If I turn my gain completely off, the hiss isn't present unless I boost the volume of the track itself, and then only slightly. But that leaves the problem of having to record at volumes way past levels I could get away with in my house. I've heard of noise gates before, but I have no clue how to use one to get rid of my problem.
The first thing i would do is try and locate the source of the hum by removing the different variables and see if you can tell if its a cable, or mic, or even the input.

also try getting one of these, if you sont have a usb mixer the help alot to improve the qualities of your recordings. and also it would help avoid using the mic jack in your computer

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-u-control-uca222-usb-audio-interface/476148000000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=306050288
If I turn my gain completely off, the hiss isn't present unless I boost the volume of the track itself, and then only slightly. But that leaves the problem of having to record at volumes way past levels I could get away with in my house

as foor this audacity has an amplify effect that works pretty well, i use it for midnight recording
Reaper has built in Noise Gates I believe. You'll adjust the Threshold left to right (negative to zero). The closer to zero the more background noise you'll be able to remove. I'm not going to get technical about it, cause you can just google all that, but it just changes the rate the gate opens and closes. But too much and you'll start taking away from your guitar.

But try what dmbb1239 said. If you have a bad or cheap cable it could introduce noise into your signal. That goes for the rest of the equipment. I remember a sound man telling me once that you're only as good as your cheapest piece of equipment.
Thanks. Setting the noise gate to around -36db cuts off all the hiss before I start playing, but when I do I start hearing it again.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0pv8d40nznzya8s

You can hear how the hiss cuts out at the very end as an effect of the gating (I cut out the silence before the track, but it's quiet then too). I gated it in Reaper, and recorded at the lowest input volume possible and then amplified it in Audacity like dmbb1239 said.

EDIT: I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test my equipment, since it's 4am and I don't want to be dicking about and making that kind of noise right now.
You're not in chat, so can't tell you there. >_>

If you're plugging into the 1/8" microphone jack in your computer, theres a large chance it's that. Those jacks are in no way meant for what you're trying to make it do.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
^ Yes

and also i meant record it in audacity at a low enough volume you dont get any hiss
not neccicarily (butchered that word) only using it to amplify, if you record at a lower volume you said the feedback went away? so record at that volume then amplify after.

also did you try a different cable on that last one?
yah my vote is probaly its the jack your trying to use. if your getting into recording its probably worth it to invest in an interface or usb mixer. (both can be obtained reasonably cheap)