Hey guys,

Yesterday I pulled the trigger and bought myself a vintage modern 50 watt head.
Now I need a cab. I might be able to get a nice deal on two 1x12 marshall 6912 cabs. I heard they were pretty nice but what do you guys think?

Thanks!
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
What's your budget?
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Quote by music_warrior
What's your budget?

Well not that high, max 400. But I might be able to get the 1x12s for 300 for the pair. They're the 30th anniversary model and have celestion gold speakers in them.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
If they're in good shape, 300 for the pair sounds fair. I'm not really versed on the Celestion Gold speakers as far as how they sound, though.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Quote by music_warrior
If they're in good shape, 300 for the pair sounds fair. I'm not really versed on the Celestion Gold speakers as far as how they sound, though.

Why is that?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Is the gold the one that's supposed to be a higher wattage, broken in alnico blue? If so get on that right now. Even if they're not your thing they're worth a lot. Greenbacks are more typical classic marshall speakers.
You'd typically associate blues (and therefore Golds too? Haven't tried them myself) with voxey chime, they're very very smooth sounding speakers. Make sure the power handling and impedences match up. Also marshall cabs of that age should be made of decent wood, so I'd think they'd be awesome cabs. Assuming I'm not mixing up the speakers.
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by ProgFolk12
Is the gold the one that's supposed to be a higher wattage, broken in alnico blue? If so get on that right now. Even if they're not your thing they're worth a lot. Greenbacks are more typical classic marshall speakers.
You'd typically associate blues with voxey chime, they're very very smooth sounding speakers. Make sure the power handling and impedences match up. Also marshall cabs of that age should be made of decent wood, so I'd think they'd be awesome cabs. Assuming I'm not mixing up the speakers.

Yeah I think that's the one.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Get on it asap. Golds are nearly £200 a pop new. And the 6100s are pretty highly regarded, I see no reason why the cabs wouldn't be awesome too. Again I'm no expert, but it sounds excellent on paper.
My style is a lot of hard rock, how do the golds hold up with that style? Or would vintage 30s be a better option?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Jackson Ampworks (boutique amp maker) makes some of the best amps money can buy IMO of course, and he voices his amps using the gold. They do everything from pristine cleans to the most roaring ballsy rock sound you've ever heard! Point is, you'll be fine using the gold. It'll probably give you a bit of a unique tone compared to others depending on your application. Enjoy them!
Are they loud enough for gigging? Someone told me they would drown out a 4x12 marshall cab but I want to be sure.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
I have no idea what those speakers sell for used, nor have I ever used them, but just based on the new price for them ($289 online), 2 for 1, with separate enclosures seems like a pretty great deal.

However, 2 1x12s aren't exactly ideal for hard rock, they will sound "smaller" and have less lowend than a bigger cab would, but they have the advantage of being more portable. For $400-500 you could pick up a used Marshall or Mesa 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30s. It's up to you, though. You might be able to sell the cabs separately for significantly more than you paid for them, and get a nice 2x12 or 4x12 if you don't like the speakers. I'd research more into it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I would grab those golds and if you don't like them flip them for a greenback loaded cab. $300 is a great deal on those. I've got the 425A cab with my 2266 and it sounds fantastic. The VM is perfect with greenbacks. I'm not sure I would use V30s with that amp.