So I want to learn the minor scale using the three notes per string technique but whenever i try and find one im confronted by harmonic minor, melodic minor etc.

Isnt there just a straight forward minor scale, in the same way there is a major scale? Is the Aeleon(spelling) scale the one i want?
You can construct a minor scale starting from the root W H W W H W W.

Where W = whole step (2 intervals) and H = half step (1 interval). For example the A Minor scale is A, B, C, D, E, F, G (all natural notes). E Minor would be E, F#, G, A, B, C, D.
Quote by ronhoward
You can construct a minor scale starting from the root W H W W H W W.

Where W = whole step (2 intervals) and H = half step (1 interval). For example the A Minor scale is A, B, C, D, E, F, G (all natural notes). E Minor would be E, F#, G, A, B, C, D.

One good thing to keep in your head is that the notes of the C major scale and the A minor scale are the same (all naturals) - it's just the "starting point" that differs.

Similarly, the notes of the G major and E-minor scales are the same (one sharp - F#)

The general rule is that the minor scale that corresponds to a given major scale uses the same notes, but starts 1.5 steps lower (3 half-steps), or two notes lower.

For example:

C major is C, D, E, F, G, A, B, while A-minor is A, B, C, D, E, F, G.

G major is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, while E-minor is E, F#, G, A, B, C, D

(as the prior poster said)

Just to add one more:

F major is F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E, while D-minor is D, E, F, G, A, Bb, C (both one flat)
The stuff is pretty well explained already so I'll just add one thing others didn't say. You said that you get confused with the different minor scales.

To my knowledge, we have the natural minor scale (root-W-H-W-W-H-W-W pattern, like already explained). Then in addition we also have a thing called the harmonic minor scale. It's just like the minor scale, but the 7th degree is sharp. There the intervals would be root-W-H-W-W-H-1½-H.

Example:
A minor scale = A, B, C, D, E, F, G
A harmonic minor scale = A, B, C, D, E, F#, G

Cheers
-Jonathan