I plan on playing some small gigs, like local bars. What would be a good amp for these gigs? I play 80's rock. Ive heard a half stack is too large, any suggestions?
Budget? location? Ideal tone?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
A halfstack too large? That's a small bar indeed then! Well let's see...personally I play the Peavey 5150, which is awesome for 80s rock. You could look into a 6505-combo, but I've heard that they're pretty damn weighty. If that's not a problem, you should look into it. They can also be quite loud, or at least that goes to say about the head.

I'm not usually a fan of Peaveys apart from the 5150, but I borrowed a ValveKing (half stack) from a friend durng one of our gigs and I'm pretty impressed of what it can do for that kind of money. If you're on a tight budget that could also be worth looking into, you can get a very thick tone out of that, and it's also available in a combo version.

A last alternative worth looking into, which is a bit more expensive, is the Orange Dual Terror. If you have a drummer the Tiny Terrors 15 Watts is a bit weak, but the Dual Terrror has 30 watts and it's even got 2 channels. It's easy to carry with you, you could plug it into any 1*12 or 2*12s. Orange makes great 212s. I have one myself. 8) You can get amazing tones out of it with an overdrive and a noisegate.
80's rock could be anything from foreigner to slayer... any specific bands, or even songs that kinda hit the tone you're after?

Personally I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 212 cab. 412's are a PITA to move around, and if a 212 isn't enough you're either doing something wrong, or you need to mic up.

Also check the sticky in this forum for info we need for "what amp" threads. It's a waste of time to suggest $1000 amps if your budget is $250.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
What's your budget?

A Marshall Vintage Modern or possibly a Splawn Quick Rod and a 2x12 cab would be a really nice setup for what you (presumably) want to play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
80's rock could be anything from foreigner to slayer... any specific bands, or even songs that kinda hit the tone you're after?

Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Ozzy, and other bands that were similar to those during that era
A halfstack too large? That's a small bar indeed then! Well let's see...personally I play the Peavey 5150, which is awesome for 80s rock. You could look into a 6505-combo, but I've heard that they're pretty damn weighty. If that's not a problem, you should look into it. They can also be quite loud, or at least that goes to say about the head.

Ive asked other people they claim that a halfstack is too large, Im not sure if they are correct or not.
Quote by damillion

Ive asked other people they claim that a halfstack is too large, Im not sure if they are correct or not.

Physical size notwithstanding, there's very little need for the sort of power/volume a halfstack provides at a bar gig - you'll end up running the amp with the master volume at 1 and the preamp gain at 10, which is not the way to make a tube amp sound good. Plus, they are an absolute swine to cart around everywhere - expect no sympathy from band mates as you struggle to lug a 4x12 into the back of your car after a gig, whilst it pours down with rain. Believe me, I've been there.

Source: Once owned a halfstack w. 50W Hiwatt all-tube head, was FAR too loud for even large bars - I had to settle for either deafening everyone in the room or having my tone sound like ass until I downgraded to a lower wattage tube amp.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
It all really depends on the stage, but most bars will have cramped stages, and in some cases even a combo amp is too large. So a stack would be far too much for a bar, but you can still get a head and 2x12 or 1x12 cabinet instead of going for a 4x12.

Since you say your an 80's guy the ideal amp for you would be a Jet City of some model. Preferably the JCA50h for the SLO circuit with a good 2x12. That will do anything and everything 80s near perfectly, as well as modern stuff should you ever need it. It also sounds good at low volumes.

Also:

Quote by cliff_em_all
Budget? location? Ideal tone?
This.