I'll try to be brief. I have a cheap acoustic Fender that sounds very average but plays like a dream. I want to electrify it for a backup (church band).

I am thinking single coil pickup or stacked coil (if that's what it's called). My thought is since it doesn't sound that great the coil doesn't really "hear" the soundboard and only senses the string vibration. Is that correct?

The other issue. I don't understand the relationship of pickups and preamps. I am thinking of L.R. Baggs M1 or M1A. If I go with M1A I assume I don't need a preamp. But I'm thinking of getting an M1 and pairing it with a preamp. Am I anywhere close to figuring this out?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ragdoll1974 at Jan 5, 2012,
pickups pick up the vibration - or in some cases, the actual sound. pre-amps allow you to tweak the sound, some giving volume, bass and treble adjustments, some also including a notch filter and other goodies.

you could use a directbox instead of a preamp, or the adjustments on an ampllifer, but it can be handy to have your tonal/volume adjustments on board, too.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/pickups_amps
here's some reviews and recordings so you can hear various pickups at work.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jan 5, 2012,
Another point I forgot to make. I plug in to a PA not an amp (usually). I heard that if you don't use a preamp it may not be loud enough.

I am also considering a DI box like L.R. Baggs. That should eliminate the need for an on board preamp right?
i believe that yes, using a direct box with controls will eliminate the need for an onboard preamp. there may be direct boxes with no adjustments, and in those cases, they won't replace an onboard preamp. not sure if a volume pedal could be of help, as i've only used them on electrics, but that could be handy as you can adjust the volume without leaning over or taking off your guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!