Hey,

I've been playing electric guitar for going on 3 years, but I've been getting into acoustic stuff recently. I managed to learn Drifting, by Andy Mckee, and am currently working on Megan's Song, by Matthew Mcghee. However, all the fingerpicking in the latter song has been killing the fingers on my right hand. I'm easily fast enough to play it and all, it's just hurting. Is this the same thing as fretting fingers pain when you first start guitar? Should I stop playing until they stop hurting? How can I power through until they won't hurt?

Thanks

tl;dr Fingerpicking is hurting my fingers, what do?
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
get your guitar set up or try lighter strings till your fingers get used to things.

and if the pain is bad, take a break - it could keep you from having problems.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I've been using D'Addario .010-.047s. The guitar's got a relatively low action for an acoustic, compared to others I've seen (Although my electric guitar is an Ibanez, so I may be somewhat accustomed to an even lower action) and there's no buzz or anything, so what else would a set-up improve, if I may naively ask? The pain isn't that bad, I just want to avoid overdoing it, if that's a risk. Thanks for the response
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Are your fingertips worn raw, or is it a joint pain? If it is a joint pain, maybe you should reconsider the bend in your wrist, and the angle of your fingers to the strings. And take breaks to stretch!
Assuming that soreness you are refering to is the tips of your right fingers and you are using the fleshy part of your fingertips for picking, then it is caused by the constant friction against the strings as you pick.

Try plucking the strings somewhat lighter, this will ease up wear and pain, but will also sacrifice volume. You can also try a thumb and finger picks, they take quite awhile to get used to.

If you keep at it with just your fingers, then in a couple weeks you will develop calluses on your right hand picking fingers and the side to your thumb, and the pain will abate.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Take a break. Your fingers probably just aren't used to the thicker strings and higher tension of a steel string acoustic guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.