I should be getting a new speaker for my amp tomorrow, and after looking at the existing speaker I see that the wires are soldered rather than clipped, so I'll need to detach them and re-solder the wires to the new speaker once I get it installed.

I haven't soldered a whole lot (though I did install my D-sonic pickup myself, and it's worked really well). I'm not new to such things, however; I've been welding for close to 20 years.

But anyway, I have a soldering iron and some rosin-core solder. Do I need anything else, such as flux? Any pointers or suggestions would be really appreciated!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The rosin core is the flux. Depending on the soldering iron is may be difficult to get the solder to melt because of the large metal area on the tab. In addition to tinning the tip (wetting it with solder) add a little solder while holding the iron to the metal.

You don't want to just melt the added solder as that will cause a cold joint. But melting the solder in addition to heating the metal with help conduct the heat.
if you really don't want to solder, you could just buy a speaker lead with a jack on one end and spade connectors on the other.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think it'd be best if you buy some female end tabs from a hardware store, and just cut the connections on the old speaker wire, and put those end tabs on. Much easier than soldering, and I do it to almost all of my speakers and speaker jacks.
that too

do they just screw on?

i was going to do that but then couldn't easily find ones that were for the right wire gauge that's normally used for speakers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that too

do they just screw on?

i was going to do that but then couldn't easily find ones that were for the right wire gauge that's normally used for speakers.

They clamp on the wire, but I always super heat them and solder them for extra measure, but it's not necessary. I think the blue or yellow ones will do just fine. The color usually indicates the size, red is for 22-18 gauge, blue is for 16-14 gauge, and yellow is 12-10 gauge.
thanks

i've already ordered the cable now, but i'll keep that in mind for the future
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks to all who replied! I don't feel like going to the store so I'm just going to solder it, lol. I probably won't ever be putting the old speaker back in, so it's not a big deal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?