I'm thinking about buying my first 100 watt amp because I need one for gigging and there's someone in my town selling one for a decent price.I can put a link to it if needed.The problem is I've only ever used combos and I don't know anything about the kind of cab that should go with it or what ohm's the cab should be.I was told if you get that wrong it could screw up the head pretty bad.If you guy's could inform me on what I need to know that would help me a lot thanks.
I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.

He who laughs last thinks slowest
You don't need a 100 watt head for gigging, or a stack.

What is wrong with your combo amp?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
In order to inform you of what you need to know, you need to inform us what amp you're talking about.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
My only combo now,is just a shitty little solid state 20 watt practice amp which sounds attrocious.I realise I don't need that kind of power or even half of it but I gave my nice little tube amp to a very good friend of mine.The amp I'm on about is going really cheap and if it sounds good when I go to test it I might just pick it up.Here's a link to the ad of it
for you.

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/nolan-100w-guitar-amp/1187298

Last edited by SRVBLUES01 at Jan 5, 2012,
looks like it'd be ok with either a 16 (it says 15 but as far as i'm aware, 16 is close enough... for some reason older kit was always 15 ohms instead of 16 ) or 8 ohm cab

just as a warning- that doesn't appear to have a master volume. that means no distortion until you hit jet engine (near enough) levels of volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Holy shit, a plexi clone for €250...

Normally I'd say get it but with that thing being a Plexi-based amp you won't be able to get overdrive until you have the thing beyond cranked like Dave just said. Though based on your profile you appear to be a blues guy so I don't think overdrive would be too much needed.

I say get it but in the long run grab yourself a TS9 along with a THD Hotplate, so you can use the thing like it's supposed to be used without going deaf early.
ah yeah that's true, if he's playing blues he mightn't need the distortion

though it'd need to be british blues, i'm guessing.

for srv type stuff (though i think he used marshalls too, among other things) a fendery-type amp is normally the thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks almost too good to be true. Plus the spelling in that add is pretty atrocious.

Quote by Dave_MC
for srv type stuff (though i think he used marshalls too, among other things) a fendery-type amp is normally the thing.

This is something you should consider if you are playing the blues.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
It does have two volume knobs. And installing a master volume is not that hard...
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
^ yeah but those two volumes are (assuming it's a plexi clone, or at least works in a similar fashion) for the normal and bright channels, one isn't a preamp volume and the other a master.

granted you could mod it (or get someone to mod it). but out of teh box, it's going to be LOUD.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
True, especially for SRV stuff (they say he used Marshall but I don't hear it in a lot of his music, with the exception of a few songs such as "Crossfire" where his tone was more mid-rangy), but this is really one hell of a deal for a Plexi clone.

Of course, as RealGuitarHero said it might be too good to be true, unless the guy selling it is out of is mind (which can happen; I had a guy told me he sold his dad's "real old Marshall amp" for $400. I nearly ran off the road when he told me this.
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can always pull two tubes and have yourself a 50W Plexi (and switch the impedance selector down one notch). Then instead of jet engine volumes you just need jackhammer volumes to get some lovely blues tones out of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

good point

that's still really loud, though
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah but those two volumes are (assuming it's a plexi clone, or at least works in a similar fashion) for the normal and bright channels, one isn't a preamp volume and the other a master.

granted you could mod it (or get someone to mod it). but out of teh box, it's going to be LOUD.

That makes sense. Not really familiar with the plexi's controls.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
neither am i
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The trick is to use an ABY pedal plugged into both inputs.
Also what we are talking about here is what attenuators were actually invented for; not turning a gigging amp into a bedroom amp but for getting that cranked Marshall sound without completely drowning out the drummer.
That's the ticket - 100W plexi with two valves pulled, an ABY pedal and a nice attenuator.

Edit: And a Mk1 Guv'nor to get that sweet Gary Moore edge going.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 5, 2012,
I have a TS-9 already if I took out two tubes and had that going do you reckon that would be useable as an amp then without going deaf?Is it actually possible to take out three two and use one power tube?

You can only pull two tubes, they work in pairs. Either the two middle ones or the two outer ones. You'll still go deaf, just not as quickly.
Like I said, do that and stick a nice attenuator after it and you'll be set - and mod that TS9.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice one dude you've been a very big help.

Don't forget to change your impedance setting if you pull two tubes. If you are running into a 16 ohm cab switch the amp to 8 ohms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Looks nice. A single channel non master volume 100 watt amp can be a bit unwieldy though.
I bet it sounds great, but it's not going to give you singing sustain at bedroom volumes, or even at most gigs. Something to bear in mind.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.