Ok, I've got a 5-switch Fender Fat Strat & I'm thinking about getting one of these GFS Lipstick pickups (with 4.9K output) & putting it in the neck position. Right now, I've got a JB in my bridge (16k output) & a GFS True Coil (7k) in my middle position.

Question: Do you think I should buy that Lipstick pup or do I need something with higher output to balance out my JB?

**In case you need to know, I play pop/rock (think Nirvana meets early 60's pop)

Lipstick pup (4.9k)
http://www.guitarfetish.com/49K-Neck-Position-Pro-Tube-Lipstick-Chrome_p_354.html
True Coil (7.0k)
http://www.guitarfetish.com/70k-True-Coil-_p_1966.html
Last edited by honkytown at Jan 5, 2012,
I'd say go ahead. There's nothing wrong with tonal variety as long as you understand that you won't be able to switch up to the neck pup and get a rich sweet child o' mine distortion.

What about the lipstick do you like? Maybe you could find similar qualities in a higher output pup so you won't have to compensate for the power difference in your playing / pedals.

EDIT***

I followed your link to the lipstick tube pickup. 29.99? That sounds too good to be true. And by 'true' I mean 'not completely sucktastic'. This is a long term investment into your sound; it doesn't hurt to save and splurge a little bit. Dunc' single coils cost about 75 I believe, I'd bet Dimarzio's go for the same price. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.

If you decide to go with the gfs ones, at the bottom of the page is a bridge model with 8k ohms DC resistance. It would beef up your output considerably.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Last edited by cds+stereo=life at Jan 5, 2012,
You need wayyyy higher output to balance out. I have a 15.4k humbucker in my bridge position, a 12.5k single coil in the middle, and a 12.4k single coil in the neck, and I still have problems balancing the volumes compared to the humbucker, but it's as good as it gets.

You need at least 10k for the neck, anything under is going to be a huge loss in volume, and you will not like it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You need wayyyy higher output to balance out. I have a 15.4k humbucker in my bridge position, a 12.5k single coil in the middle, and a 12.4k single coil in the neck, and I still have problems balancing the volumes compared to the humbucker, but it's as good as it gets.

You need at least 10k for the neck, anything under is going to be a huge loss in volume, and you will not like it.

I've got a vintage flat (6.6K) in the neck and a lil' 59 in the bridge (11.8k) and have no balance issues. Neck pickups in calibrated sets are almost always lower output and sound just fine. You have a 5 way switch so you can get 5 different sounds - trying to replicate the output of the bridge pickup just narrows your options.

He does have a point in that 4.9k is waaaaay tamer than the 16k in the bridge. That might go beyond the realm of versatility and make your guitar sound very unfocused. Hence the 8k option. Still, I think a 30 dollar pickup is gonna sound like shit no matter how the output relates to your other pickups.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
I've got a vintage flat (6.6K) in the neck and a lil' 59 in the bridge (11.8k) and have no balance issues. Neck pickups in calibrated sets are almost always lower output and sound just fine. You have a 5 way switch so you can get 5 different sounds - trying to replicate the output of the bridge pickup just narrows your options.

He does have a point in that 4.9k is waaaaay tamer than the 16k in the bridge. That might go beyond the realm of versatility and make your guitar sound very unfocused. Hence the 8k option. Still, I think a 30 dollar pickup is gonna sound like shit no matter how the output relates to your other pickups.

Meh, it might just be the differences in tone, the BKP Trilogy Suites have a much more mid scooped sound compared to the BKP Painkiller in the bridge.

But I do know that when I had the PK in the bridge and a Area 58(7-8k) in the neck, the output was just silly, have good volume in the bridge, flip to the neck or middle it was like I just reduced my volume by several notches on my amp.

GFS makes pretty decent pickups, for the price, but I've never liked lipstick style pickups, they always sounded thin and weak.
GFS pickups are pretty decent, I just put a mean 90 and a surf 90 in a guitar and I was really surprised by how good they were for $35 each.

Also, I have a danelectro 59dc 1st reissue with low output pickups (~4k ohms) which are a bit annoying at times, although I really do like the tone. Very garage rock-ish, especially in the bridge, the neck is more mellow. Maybe you could use it as a quick switch to a clean jangly sound from your high output bridge pickup.
Last edited by &baconstrips at Jan 5, 2012,
Pick ups can be adjusted to a certain extent based on their height to balance them out. But with such a output disparity?

Bridge pickups are hotter by design considering they are located next to the bridge where there is less movement from the string to be picked up therefore less volume available. The neck pickups are often set a little lower and not as hot for this reason. More vibration to work with.

Consequently, lowering hot pickups can have a similar effect and raising a pickup can do the opposite but with limitations on the magnetic pull of the pickup on the strings, especially the wound ones.