ive recently ordered a randall amplifier from thomann.de which is a company in germany and there where two things i noticed :
1. the power adapter is a two pin while here in the uk we use a three pin, i have a marshall at my house and i was wondering if i could use that for it?
and
2. the power rating on the amp says 230v but i cant remember the mains power output for the uk so would i be able to use the amp here?

i havnt plugged it in and i am currently in the north eastern part of england in the uk
hope the information ive given is enough to help with an answer.
1: probably (assuming both use a kettle lead)

if you want to be really careful you would make sure teh fuse is of the same rating (though if both amps are the same wattage it should be fine)

though i think (don't quote me) the fuse in teh cable is just to protect the cable anyway, there's a fuse already in the amp to protect it.

2: uk is 240V.

close enough.

some of those tone people say it's not close enough for tonal reasons (that being said, far as i'm aware amps made for the UK market are normally designed for use at 230V too, so )... i dunno. I've bought a bunch of amps from germany and they work here without any step-down transformers or anything like that.

tl;dr: 1: your marshall kettle lead will probably be ok. or alternatively you could get an EU-UK adaptor

2: it'll be fine
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

what fuse is in the marshall lead?

you can work out what you need (i forget, but it's a pretty simple calculation)

heck if you do a google search you'd probably come up with it. i seem to remember
someone on a guitar forum doing the calculation somewhere.

EDIT: it's probably going to be alright... i mean even if the fuse in the cable is too low, all it's going to do is blow, which means getting a new fuse for the cable.

i think.

i'll get some more electrically-minded people than me in here to help

hang on
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 5, 2012,
well on the over of the fuse on it it says KKDK under the cover near where the plug meets the cable it says
KKDK
KKP-600
5a 250v-
230 and 240 are the same for all intents and purposes. No domestic appliance like an amp operates within that tight of a tolerance that 4% makes any difference whatsoever.

In Australia in 2001 we officially switched from 240V to 230V but the only mains you'll find that is actually 230V are brand new installations. Mains supply voltage varies so much from house to house anyway that 10V is zero. Hell, I've measured voltages in the bush as low as 200V and everything still works perfectly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ thanks cath

so will teh fuse in the marshall cable be ok? i'm guessing it is (i seem to remember someone somewhere saying that even 1a was probably enough for all but the most powerful amps).

lets see, power = VI

a 75 watt amp would be taking in, what, maybe 300 watts?

300 = 240I

I = 1.25A

is that right?

so the 5 amp fuse in the marshall cable would be fine, right?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A 100W JCM900 consumes a maximum of 375W and runs a 2A fuse on the 230/240 tap. 5A is a bit on the big side. 2 or 3 would be more realistic.

Quote by metalgod47
by my calculations it needs a 0.6 amp fuse ? this cant be right

Sounds about right. Tube amps consume more power. Stick a 1A fuse in it and you'll be sweet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 5, 2012,
i think the calculations where the wrong way round i switched the v and power for the marshall and it came up with 4.43 amps which is close to 5 amps and for the randall it said about 3 amps i think so would it still work?
Just make sure you are reading the power consumption figure listed for the voltage tap you are using. Divide that figure by the voltage and go for a fuse a little bigger than the result.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 5, 2012,
yeah

the fuse ratings that you work out are normally quite low. just there are only certain available fuse amounts (1, 3, 5 and 13 i think) so you pick the closest one which is over what you nea.

i think

EDIT: and yeah, 0.6 sounds right. i was assuming 300W (just to be super-conservative and safe), and my fuse came out at about double what the actual value was, and your fuse rating was about half of the answer i got.

as cath says, make sure you're using the power consumption figure and not the output wattage.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 5, 2012,