Hey guys, firstly I posted this here rather than under the Cover Songs category because I am looking for feedback on the quality of the recording and mix rather than the playing or anything. If that was wrong of me mods feel free to move it

Anyway, I recorded and mixed a cover of Ascendancy by Trivium. I have been experimenting with different ideas trying to improve my recorded tone for a while now and I feel this is heading in the right direction.

A few bits of info:

I used the MSDI output on my Peavey 6505+ combo and put it through LeCab with impulses.

I quad-tracked the guitar, panned 100% and 75% in each direction. I EQ'd the 75% tracks slightly differently (I started to cut the highs at around 5khz rather than 10khz.)

On the master track I added a compressor, a maximiser and a limiter.

That's all I think, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAJg7pGm9Ow&feature=youtu.be
It's a pretty dead mix tbh, I mean it sounds fine but there's no energy.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Sounds pretty good, but needs a bass guitar, cause it's extremely lacking in the low end, thus making the mix sound dead.

When I quad track, I generally have two main tracks, both panned 100% opposite, at full volume, and have my two secondary tracks, panned at 80% both directions with a 3-4 decibel drop in volume on them, blends better.
Not listening to this now as busy, sorry, but hopefully MatrixClaw or Chris will see this...

Mods, can we just sticky the 'Official Mix Crit Thread' or something, to prevent us being hit with more threads just asking for mix crit? Could even adjust title to be more obvious, maybe "Official 'Rate My Mix' Thread"?

I just feel that lately, despite the likely influx of people over the Christmas holiday period (when people are off school/work), we seem to have cut back on the spam/repeat threads a little lately (partly down to the official chat thread) so if we can get even further and streamline the stickied threads to include the most important, it would help keep new threads that are something different/to debate about more noticeable and easier to find.

Edit: Also, this is by no means a dig at you, TS, it's just we get a lot of threads like this and a few other things that get repetitive to regulars and detract attention from stuff people might be more inclined to have a decent discussion about.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sounds pretty good, but needs a bass guitar, cause it's extremely lacking in the low end, thus making the mix sound dead.

When I quad track, I generally have two main tracks, both panned 100% opposite, at full volume, and have my two secondary tracks, panned at 80% both directions with a 3-4 decibel drop in volume on them, blends better.

I used a bass VST which isn't that great.

Is it possible to get a reasonable sounding bass sound by using a guitar DI'd and pitch shifting it or would that sound terrible.

To guy above, no problem, I agree a stickied thread would be a good idea.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Not listening to this now as busy, sorry, but hopefully MatrixClaw or Chris will see this...

Mods, can we just sticky the 'Official Mix Crit Thread' or something, to prevent us being hit with more threads just asking for mix crit? Could even adjust title to be more obvious, maybe "Official 'Rate My Mix' Thread"?

I just feel that lately, despite the likely influx of people over the Christmas holiday period (when people are off school/work), we seem to have cut back on the spam/repeat threads a little lately (partly down to the official chat thread) so if we can get even further and streamline the stickied threads to include the most important, it would help keep new threads that are something different/to debate about more noticeable and easier to find.

Edit: Also, this is by no means a dig at you, TS, it's just we get a lot of threads like this and a few other things that get repetitive to regulars and detract attention from stuff people might be more inclined to have a decent discussion about.

Sure, sounds like a good idea to me.

I'll be home in a few hours and then I'll get 'r done
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Random3
I used a bass VST which isn't that great.

Is it possible to get a reasonable sounding bass sound by using a guitar DI'd and pitch shifting it or would that sound terrible.

To guy above, no problem, I agree a stickied thread would be a good idea.

I used to pitch shift a guitar played like a bass all the time, it works good if you can cover up the ugliness of how it sounds, basically, no bass solos.
Cool thanks man, any chance you can either briefly explain how to do it, or post a link to a video explaining it. I had a brief look but when I tried it myself it literally sounded like mud...

What I did was record part of the bassline with the electric guitar, neck pickup and clean tone DI'd and compressed. Pitch shifted it down an octave and it sounded terrible. Anything else I can try?
Try playing it DI (very cleanly) on an ultra-clean guitar, and before putting anything on it, use your DAW's audio-to-MIDI/whatever-it's-called-in-your-DAW function to convert the notes to MIDI notes and run it through a bass softsynth?

Other than that, you can either program bass parts and use a softsynth, or you can get an ultra-cheap bass I've no advice on the pitchshifting a guitar down, because I've never tried it and would never try to.
Well currently I use MIDI into a bass VST. I had a look online earlier and couldn't find any decent free ones (as expected). I do own a bass guitar however, long story short, the bassist in my band is borrowing it until he buys his own (he is not from the same country so couldn't bring his own).

I don't think the version of Cubase that I have has any audio to MIDI function... at least not one that I have seen.
what kind of drum sampling did you use? Parallel compression on the kick/snare/toms gives it the pumping sound you want. If you can...acquire...amplitube they have svt modelers that sound good even with midi bass.
Quote by Random3
I'm using Drumkit From Hell.

I ran 4 tracks of it, one for kick, snare, toms and overheads and then EQ'd each one.

I can't really do much more because my laptop isn't powerful enough.

If you insert it as a vsti instrument instead as a normal track it does that for you so you only need one instance of the program running...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by DisarmGoliath

I'm okay with this. My impression, though, was that the cover songs and original recordings subforums - given that they are subforums under the recordings forum - were there for critiquing the recordings more so than the performances.

Mind you, I never go in those except when people report posts.

Is the sense that those subforums draw critiques for recording or critiques for "how good a cover or how good a song" it is?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I'm okay with this. My impression, though, was that the cover songs and original recordings subforums - given that they are subforums under the recordings forum - were there for critiquing the recordings more so than the performances.

Mind you, I never go in those except when people report posts.

Is the sense that those subforums draw critiques for recording or critiques for "how good a cover or how good a song" it is?

CT

As far as I'm aware, most of the people there are after approval/praise on their performing abilities more than their skills as an audio engineer - I'm also rare to go in there, but I think the general consensus of threads are a formula of: TS posts YouTube link, first post thinks it was alright, second post thinks it sucked, third and fourth posts are positive, then a bump by the TS before people start saying vaguely audio-related stuff like "the drums sound fake" or "your tone is a bit fizzy and scooped"

Edit: Also, just listened to this for first time - guitars lack clarity and definition more than anything. Part of the problem is inconsistencies caused by quad-tracking something with such intricate rhythm parts. I would almost always opt to double-track with most modern metal, particularly stuff with fast chugging, as you can always thicken the sound with reamping and multi-mic techniques without worrying about capturing even more spot-on performances.

Also, there's just something muffled about the tone; never used a 51510/6505 into IR's before, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're having trouble getting the tone right on the amp from the start, as you're monitoring it elsewhere rather than getting it right in the room and then putting a mic where that sound rings through. At least if you're going to go the non-miked route, I'd generally advise using software amp sims too as you gain the flexibility of being able to tweak the amp settings in post-production.

To fix what you've got from those takes might be hard, but see if your additional tracks (from the quadtracking) are actually adding to the sound, or just muddying it up and playing havoc with phase relationships on both sides (for example, try listening to it in mono and see what happens!). Aside from this, and the effects of youtube compression that may be adding to the warbly blanket-like effect on the wide-panned guitars, you could try bringing some upper mids back into the mix, and a light presence boost (say between 2-4kHz) and see if that can remove some of the dullness to the guitars.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 6, 2012,