Today i stopped by a local music store and there was 75 Hardtail Strat there for sale for $899. Natural Finish with white pickguard. Serial 675271. It played very nice and comparing to others ive seen online this seems like a very good price. Is there anything i should look for other than the serial and age characteristics a 37 year old guitar should have. It did have cracks in the clear coat and worn in the obvious places but I'm no expert.
Only previously owned a new Mexi HSS Strat so i dont know a whole lot about the vintage ones.

Thanks
large headstock and 3 bolt neck. mid 70s hardtails aren't really subject to forgeries all that much. without taking the guitar apart not much to tell you. you can check the neck stamp and the pots and pickups but of course the guitar has to be apart.
If you're interested in the guitar's vintage aspect and it's value, you'd have to take it apart to be able to identify everything on and in it, in order to know if it's all original or not.

For the price, I strongly suspect that's it's not a 100% original. Doesn't mean it's not a good deal, though.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Thanks a lot, does the price seem pretty good? Ive seen prices vary from $1500 to over $2000 for this guitar. Which is why the price seemed too low.
Quote by StangBanger
Thanks a lot, does the price seem pretty good? Ive seen prices vary from $1500 to over $2000 for this guitar. Which is why the price seemed too low.

the price is pretty good but probably more in line with the guitars actual value. mid to late 70s strats went up because the older ones got really expensive but they aren't considered all that good of a guitar. hardtails tend to be valued less that ones with a trem. honestly you could get a used fairly new US made strat for that price that would be a better guitar.
Quote by monwobobbo
the price is pretty good but probably more in line with the guitars actual value. mid to late 70s strats went up because the older ones got really expensive but they aren't considered all that good of a guitar. hardtails tend to be valued less that ones with a trem. honestly you could get a used fairly new US made strat for that price that would be a better guitar.

+True, and the bold especially True.

Fenders made today have probably the highest build quality since 1965. Some 70s Strats are built so poorly they make Squiers look like Suhrs.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Fenders of that era are very hit-and-miss for sure, take it down and play it. Then play it some more. Make sure you're in tune with it and everything feels 'right'.

It's very possible that it had a refinish at some point, frets replaced, or hardware swaps. Look it over for the signs (screw holes, fretboard chips, condition of frets nearest the nut, etc). The hardware should have some rust or pitting at the very least if it's original.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]