Are transexuals/transgender people the sex they were born or the sex they choose?

Poll: Can you choose your sex or gender?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you choose your sex or gender?
Yes
14 45%
No
11 35%
Trans- people should have their own identification
1 3%
Other
5 16%
Voters: 31.
Page 1 of 2
This is honestly something where I don't know what to decide, hopefully The Pit can throw some arguments to help me decide.

I know people who believe that it doesn't matter if you choose to live your life as a man/woman or get surgery to become a man/woman, you are what you were born as.

I know people who disagree, you should live your life as what you choose to be.

I've heard a third argument that these people should be allowed to identify as a distinguishable sex/gender (I've heard the term "gender queer")

EDIT: Figured out how to add a poll, thanks Kjell

EDIT2: I know gender and sex aren't the same thing. Answer the question in both regards.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Last edited by Gibson_SG_uzr55 at Jan 5, 2012,
You're gonna be corrected

(Edit 'sex' to 'gender' - you'll be in the clear.)

EDIT: My actual answer is pretty simple - I'm pretty cool with whatever. Sexes are weird. I mean, being male or female, and having people recognise you as a person in light of that is just weird as a phenomena. Just like various manners and aspects to culture are weird.

I'm okay for people to invent their own gender and assign it to themselves if they want. I'm pretty cool with whatever (and so should everyone else - doesn't hurt anyone).
Last edited by Craigo at Jan 5, 2012,
It's such a strange topic, the concept of wanting to "transend genders" just blows my mind. In my opinion it is very wrong to mutilate the human body in such a way.

In my humble opinion you are as God has made you.
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
They are imaginary beings like unicorns and tinkerbell.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Is an Atheist a Christian?

Even though he was born a Christian?
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Boer Goat
It's such a strange topic, the concept of wanting to "transend genders" just blows my mind. In my opinion it is very wrong to mutilate the human body in such a way.

In my humble opinion you are as God has made you.

I lived with a mtf transgendered person.

Living in Germany, she's actually more female than most of the "real" women we have here.
Let them be what they want. If they were born a man and say they're a woman then let them. Unless it's on official forms and stuff, I think they should at least have a sex change before being allowed to change them on official documents.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Okay, the poll isn't coming. I lost internet signal while the thread was in the middle of submission
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Scientifically, they're the sex they're born with
Philosophically, I think they should be considered the sex they feel like as well.

mkay?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I honestly don't care enough to form an opinion. It's not a situation i've ever had to think about, so it's whatever floats their boat. Be what you want to be.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
The 21st century: we have the internet, groundbreaking scientific discoveries, and most girls have penises.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Last edited by GunsNSnakepits at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by Emperor's Child
Scientifically, they're the sex they're born with
Philosophically, I think they should be considered the sex they feel like as well.

mkay?

I'm appalled no-one has brought this up yet. I was too lazy to do it in my first post.

Anyway - sex is understood to be biological, gender social. A transgendered person may be female socially but 'biologically' male. It probably wasn't this way in the 19th century and is most likely a useful redefinition for the benefit of various groups of people. People inclined to think like these groups of people are likely to quote these definitions with arrogance, as if it's been like that since the dawn of time. However it's a pretty damn useful distinction.
Last edited by Craigo at Jan 5, 2012,
I believe they are the sex they were born, but it doesn't bother me what people classify themselves as in the slightest. As somebody above said, it doesn't hurt or affect me in any way, live and let live.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Craigo
You're gonna be corrected

(Edit 'sex' to 'gender' - you'll be in the clear.)

Yup, first thing that came to mind.

But even though the crisp distinction between sex and gender is fairly common knowledge (even amongst non-sociology students ), its quite weird that the terms 'transgender' and 'transsexual' are used interchangeably.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

I've always found it strange how strongly people tend to identify themselves based on their sex. If sexual stereotypes weren't so strong, then maybe everyone could be happy the way they are, as they wouldn't feel that they need to be and behave in a certain manner.

Then again, maybe sexual stereotypes and roles are so dominant just because the differences between men and women go so much deeper than what's between their legs...

However, I think that if someone makes a decision to live their life as a member of the opposite sex and make a conscious effort about it, then I'll accept them as what they want to be. I don't see any problem with it, either - I think people should be given a chance to the life they want to lead, be it sexual orientation or whatever. As long as no one is hurt and / or made do something against their will, all is good to me.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I would not consider a transsexual person (whether pre-op or post -op) a "woman"in the same sense I consider a woman a woman (meaning one who was born and stayed a woman). And it goes vice versa for women who want to be men.

The only way I would is if we really got it to this advance scientific state where we could make a man into a woman, with almost no way of ever knowing he was a male, and he's near identical to a women in biology.
gender=/=sex
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Sex is biological. If you're transexual then you've had/plan to have surgery to alter your genitalia to the opposite sex. Of course you can't change someone's chromosomes, but you can use hormone therapy to alter the way their body reacts/develops. So sex is somewhat rocky ground with the subject. Throw in hermaphrodites and the whole thing just becomes absurd.

Gender is social. It's moreso how you identify yourself and how you act within social constructs of male/female. I'd say gender is changeable, since it's really not physical at all. If you're transgender then you identify yourself as the gender contrary to what your biology might indicate.

I really think it's better to look at the whole thing as a spectrum with plenty of middle ground rather than a rigid "either/or" dichotomy.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
So if i feel like Chuck Norris, then im Chuck Norris?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ehm, it's not like someone wakes up an goes "eh, life isn't going so well, so maybe I should chop my dick off"; it's a disconnection in the brain that makes you feel discomfort in the body and gender you are born with.
They don't just feel like changing things up, it's a condition you are born with that results in a complete disconnection with your physical body. It isn't a choice, just like being born gay, disabled, or what have you isn't a choice.
They are whatever gender they decide they are, you have no right to tell them otherwise.

As far as sex go, scientifically their genitals and hormones determine whether they or male or female or whatever have you.
Quote by Acϵ♠

Only if you're transgender
Quote by Acϵ♠

If you feel like a strawman you are a strawman.

You're clearly not distinguishing between the physical and social aspects of this. If you want to be called "Chuck Norris," then yes, you are Chuck Norris, but in name only. Names aren't real, like gender. It's something that only exists because you say it does. That's what separates gender from sex.
Sex is, in my opinion, determined by what sexual organs they have:
Penis: male
Vagina: female
Neither/both: sexless

Gender is determined by what gender they want to have.
For sex, whatever they're born as, for gender, whatever they identify as.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
trannies are cool

Word.
This discussion isn't worth having in the Pit simply because most Pit monkeys are simply to uneducated on the matter for their opinion to be informed, let alone valid. Add in that most Pit monkeys probably have little to no practical experience with the trans community, and these threads always end up with those of us that *do* know what's up facepalming ourselves into next Tuesday.

Basically, read this to start, and then get some familiarity with the idea of gender as a performative social construct (aka go read Judith Butler's book on the topic), and then you can actually have this discussion in a non-fucktarded manner.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by snipelfritz
If you feel like a strawman you are a strawman.

You're clearly not distinguishing between the physical and social aspects of this. If you want to be called "Chuck Norris," then yes, you are Chuck Norris, but in name only. Names aren't real, like gender. It's something that only exists because you say it does. That's what separates gender from sex.

Close to agree but disagree.

Even if we work with a wide, lofty understanding of gender, it is still an active social indoctrination. If sex is the natural condition, then gender is its expected social expression.

Its a protocol.

Girls being made to play with barbies while boys being made to play with G.I Joes is perhaps the best example of engendering.

I don't agree that gender exists only because one says it does, because it takes social acknowledgement and not just personal conviction to fit a particular gender-role. Because it is after all, a social phenomenon.

Also, using the same line of logic, a man may legally name himself "Christina" which is purely his own business, but the problems he may face in college, in his workspace,his (literally) social life cause of his name is because of his deviation from his "gender".

But if the same man were to get a sex change, or dress as a woman or basically take steps to appear like he belongs to the other sex, then that would go a long way in engendering himself to be accepted as a "Christina".

Weird, I know. But these "social realities" can seem much more real than biological facts.

But I agree that genders and gender-roles are quite malleable.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Sorry, by "real" I just meant "physically tangible."
Oh, then...

...you wanna see my penis?

Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Only if you tell me you're a girl...

but I'm also highly distracted by your avatar.
Page 1 of 2