So i got a guitar for christmas because i wanted to cover some of ed sheerans songs, but now that i've actually got it i'm stuck and feel like an idiot because i've never even picked a guitar up before..
Should i start by learning chords or should i go straight into learning songs, i was told it's easier just to learn guitar tabs but i dont even know which tabs are easy..
coldplay, oasis, ed sheeran, courteeners, the rifles, arctic monkeys, just some of the bands i listen to and wanted to cover but have NO idea at all what songs are easy to play, any help would be greatly appreciated!
You will want to start with open chords like A C D E G because for beginners F and B can be tough, then hit the minors, then sevenths, then E barre positions up the neck, print off a root diagram to help with that then u can do minor and seventh barres, and the A pos barre. Diminished and augmented chords r good as well as the sus chords. then just look at chord songs, my first song was peaceful easy feeling by the eagles. After that start playing the major and A minor pentatonic scales as well as the blues scale. Listen to a lot of music and try to apply the scales.
hope its not too much but hope it helps memorizing tabs is sort of bs.
Yeah do what COREYTAYLOR721 said. Wonderwall is hard, especially for a beginner. Don't get too ahead of your self. You got the the guitar, but not the chops to play it yet. I wanted to learn Sweet Child O' Mine the second month I was in playing.....didn't happen til about a year later.
guitar sounds way out of tune when i play chords but it is tuned properly, so annoying!
I recon that you look on the internet for chord sheets of songs that you like (this site has a lot of tabs), look up the chords on the net and learn chords as you go through the song.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/oasis_guitar_tabs.htm
^there's a page for Oasis songs. Check out the links that say "Chords" under the heading of "Type". (I don't really listen to any of the stuff you listen to, I just took a pick from a random band from your list lol)

For difficulty, look out for chords of A, C, D, E, G. (B and F are more advanced) Those are you basic major chords.
For minor chords: Am, Dm, Em are ones you want to start with (the others are also more advanced chords)
Then also minor 7ths: Am7, Dm7 and Em7.
7th chords: A7, B7, C7, D7, E7 and G7 are all good; F7 being the trickiest of the lot.

If the song you're looking at has those kinds of chords in them I recon it will be good to start with such a song. Listen to the song, get the rhythm and feel of it, listen for the chord changes (should be above the words in the tab as well) and just have a jam. Take small chunks at a time.
while wonderwall is generally considered to be an easy song, you need to have the basics of chord progression before you'll be able to pull it off. you'll also need a capo.

I would take the advice that's already been given in here. hold off on songs for a little while. Work on some basic chords and you'll find that when you go back to learning a song you'll recognize the chords used and you'll be able to play them more fluidly.

Unless you have a capo, you might want to forget about wonderwall. You can play it without one, but it will never sound quite like it should.

The first song I learned was Green Day - Good Riddance (time of your life)

the entire song is 4 chords - G C D Em

Give it a shot
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
If u r into heavier stuff the beautiful people by mm is good for beginners. If u r into slower stuff let it be by the beatles is really easy and check out that marty guy on youtube he is really good and rockongoodpeople is good as well.
I'd stick with corey's first post and ignore the second...I don't know why you'd recommend a beginner tune his guitar to drop D and play some one finger songs. That just teaches him that you can play guitar without learning anything in the process, and won't help him stay motivated when it comes to learning how to actually play the guitar.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
^u r prob right thought maybe he could pick out roots and learn some tuning. but anyway marty is pretty cool and let it be is good play in key of C so u can get that F going. cool it mike lol