Poll: do new yorkers generally grow up tougher than most people?
Poll Options
View poll results: do new yorkers generally grow up tougher than most people?
Those that grow up in warm climates are generally softer in my opinion ;)
8 7%
Yes, new yorkers grow up tougher than the average person in the western world :cool:
6 5%
Bollocks, lets see how tough a new yorker would be if they were dropped in a 3rd world country :D
29 24%
Oh please, new yorkers aren't even the toughest americans there is :rant:
34 29%
I'm scared of most new yorkers, they're so mean! :cry:
0 0%
Regardless of if its tough or not new york is a f*cking rad place to be :)
8 7%
Yeah right, maybe in america, but that tough new york act wouldn't fly in parts of europe :mad1:
25 21%
^Hey buddy, you're f*cking with a dirty new yorker..if I saw you, you'd get slapped up :mad
9 8%
Voters: 119.
Page 1 of 3
It funny, I was talking to this dude from california the other day and he told me he can't wait to get the **** outta new york and go back home. most californians can't handle new york for some reason, yet new yorkers can adapt anywhere. there's a saying 'if you can make it in new york, you can make it anywhere' and I think that's mostly true. but there are many different reasons why new yorkers grow up tougher than than anyone else in America (and most of the western world)

an excerpt from the article of why new yorkers grow up tough:

When I was in first grade, we were all issued dog tags that would help identify our bodies in the event of a Russian nuclear attack. We would have regular air raid drills and practice diving under our desks while being warned to stay away from the windows to avoid the flying glass. At night, searchlights scanning for enemy aircraft lighted the skies over Manhattan and every day at noon, there would be a blaring siren signaling that this was just a test. I always thought it was silly because if an enemy chose to attack at noon, no one would run for cover thinking it was just a routine test. Once or twice a year there would be a citywide air raid and everybody would have to get off the streets into shelters and subways. The next day's newspaper would show a deserted street on its cover as if to wonder where the eight million people disappeared to. Anyway, my generation of New Yorkers has always been prepared for something horrible to happen to us- and it has.

In the back of our minds we have always known that we would be the prime target because everything is situated here and we are considered by many to be the hub of the Western world. There would be no post nuclear movies made about our survival because we did not expect to. I say all this in explanation for what I have always known. New Yorkers are tough and the above is only part of the reason why.

We are also an international city composed of refugees from all parts of the world where atrocities are a way of daily life. They have sought shelter here but they also bring their baggage of horrific memories, which we in the city absorb into our own psyches. We grow up living next door to survivors of either the holocaust or the ton ton macoute. We work with those who've lived under Communist oppression and sometimes they even marry into our families. Even if some of us have never been personally involved with these survivors we've been affected by their resilience and we wonder every day if we will ever be able to match their courage. I have always admired the stalwart performance of the Londoners during the Blitz and I've always felt that we have been so fortunate to have escaped devastation of this magnitude. On September 11, 2001, our luck ran out.

http://www.rightgrrl.com/2001/091101f.shtml
tl;dr
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

New Yorkers live a more fast paced life than the average Californian. Us West Coasters take it easy and chill, yarramsayin. We don't need to zip through everything like it's a goddamned free-for-all race.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I can see why people would think they would, but having never been to NY, I can't say it's a tougher place than anywhere else I've been.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Maaaaan Tattieeeeeees!
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie

EDIT: This works well with the above video.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
yeah we're badass
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Has anyone noticed that TS has adds on his profile

He has all of these poll threads to figure out the market!

Quote by Trowzaa

what is this.... I don't even

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 5, 2012,
I don't know but New York is a crazy place. When you walk down one of the major streets, there's everything going at once in every direciton. I briefly visited there, was amazed by Broadway, and this black man who walked past me told me to stay off drugs
New Yorkers are pussies.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
New Yorkers are pussies.

In capitalist New York, pussies are New Yorkers.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
My mom had air raid drills and she lived in a tiny town.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
You have to be a bit pushy around here, and NYers tend to be a bit more blunt than other Americans, but I wouldn't interpret that as being either tough or rude. It's just the culture.

That being said, I voted that NYC is a rad place to be. Try not to overanalyze all that other crap.
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
Quote by Jackal58
New Yorkers are pussies.

fuck you old man

certain areas of New York just aren't places you want to be, but others are decent and tolerable.

living in Brooklyn, you grow to be a bit of a hardass. i didn't really realize this until i went to school on Long Island for 2 years and realized how laid back people over there are. coming back to Brooklyn after those 2 years, i noticed a huge difference in people's attitudes and in their interactions with one another...a difference i never realized before.

i wouldn't say ALL people who live in New York are tougher, but people who live in certain areas of New York certainly are.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by bradulator

Why did I find that so funny?

New Yorkers are bitches.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Psssh. New York is no more tough/soft than any other major city in the Western world. Everyone knows the real hard-nuts come from the big industrial cities that have now turned to shit, at least in England.

You know you ain't ****ing with no man from Hull. And I'd imagine the US equivalent to be Detroit or similar.
Quote by element4433
My mom had air raid drills and she lived in a tiny town.

as did most of the united states during the cold war

Quote by willT08
Psssh. New York is no more tough/soft than any other major city in the Western world. Everyone knows the real hard-nuts come from the big industrial cities that have now turned to shit, at least in England.

You know you ain't ****ing with no man from Hull. And I'd imagine the US equivalent to be Detroit or similar.

St. Louis is a lot tougher coming up in than New York, but still better than a lot of places in the world.
Last edited by FireHawk at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by Spud Spudly
^^^^ New Yorker

Not even from America
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
Ah, the arrogancy of Americans -.-

Us Finns are the shit

Last edited by fc89konkari at Jan 5, 2012,
I don't think a new yorker could hold up against a eastern european.

Every time ive been to eastern european countries ive noticed a disproportionate number of total psychos/nutters all over the place.
My experience with people from New Jersey and New York has been a lot of bark, but no bite.

Seriously, I'm not stereotyping... I just know like 10 people who all act the same.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
My experience with people from New Jersey and New York has been a lot of bark, but no bite.

Seriously, I'm not stereotyping... I just know like 10 people who all act the same.

there are certain areas of New Jersey, Camden for example, that i wouldn't mess with.

just like i said, certain areas are bad, other areas are good. it's pretty stupid to judge an entire state as a whole.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Skynyrd890

I would agree with this for the most part. But again, you just can't generalize about 8+ million people.
You don't wanna mess with people from here.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Page 1 of 3