Whats the best way to do this?

Im a metal player so Im huge of scale patterns and chord patterns and mixing and matching in between. I have tried over and over to use my note names but when im playing i just cant. I know them but my mind does not pick them up fast enough to keep up with my patterns.

For me I tend to use the 6th string as my anchor and view the modes going up the strings. On each mode i place the barre chord ( major or minor ). and then i use the high E string to see the mode on top. So i sandwich each position up the string with the modes and barre chords. So you see how it's hard for me to see that in note names.
I use my tuner. Play the note, it'll show up on the tuner. Eventually you remember where it is. There's probably a more 'musical' way of doing it though.

I think that's what you're asking. Like say the 5th fret on the low E string is an A note?
I always hate when people ask for things like this, because I know they want a fast or easy painless way, and that puts me in a bind, because its so easy to look like I'm trying to recruit someone, yet I want to help them know they have options if they feel lost.

That said, here goes, with my answer:

The way we teach it. That's not a plug, but that's my honest and most sincere answer.

I know of no better or faster way in my 26 years of playing.

Put it this way... can you show me someone else that can teach a student in just 6 sessions to completely see the entire fret board scales-wise in any direction, and to find and correctly name any note on the neck in under a second?

Best,

Sean
Quote by Gioloverso
Whats the best way to do this?

Im a metal player so Im huge of scale patterns and chord patterns and mixing and matching in between. I have tried over and over to use my note names but when im playing i just cant. I know them but my mind does not pick them up fast enough to keep up with my patterns.

For me I tend to use the 6th string as my anchor and view the modes going up the strings. On each mode i place the barre chord ( major or minor ). and then i use the high E string to see the mode on top. So i sandwich each position up the string with the modes and barre chords. So you see how it's hard for me to see that in note names.

Everyone has their own methods. My take...

CAGED
I learned the notes on the open strings. Then I learned octaves. I.e.,

12th fret is the same note as the open string, as is the 24th. Open string and the 7th fret on the string above it (8th for G and B strings) is an octave. Cool. Then that 12th fret is the same note as the 7th a string above. And that's the 2nd fret a string above. Oh, that's another octave shape: open string and 2nd fret two strings above.

Et cetera. I learned how to play all the open string notes in every octave everywhere. I learned the shapes for those octaves well. Then I moved onto fifths and did the same. Then fourths. Then I learned the others...

That's how I did it. I learned the open string notes, then learned the patterns that intervals take on the guitar neck. I can pick out any note and form any scale or interval or chord off of that. Very easy.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Well i know my open strings and along the e strings to project octaves but it isnt as helpful going in every direction. Im not asking for a quick fix. I have been reading music and using drills to teach myself the note names for the past 3 months. But when Im playing everything opens up to my Scale and pattern wise with scale degrees, but my mind never attaches the note names to them unless im looking for 1 particular note.

Even when im randomly drilling myself i will find 3/4 spots that note is located each time im asked for a certain note.