About a month or two ago I upgraded the RAM in my macbook from 2GB to 4GB. I haven't really had time to record lately but my brother has been using my laptop to record lately and he's noticed, and I notice now too, that when we're using Apple Logic it is running ALOT slower and having ALOT more trouble running more plugins than usual. Why is this happening if I just upgrade my ram?
Your RAM might have more memory, but that does not necessarily mean they work at a faster clock speed.
Quote by xFilth
Your RAM might have more memory, but that does not necessarily mean they work at a faster clock speed.

so I could've technically not really upgraded at all? Here's the comparison:

Original: 2GB (two 1GBs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

New: 4GB (two 2GBs) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

???
Quote by anthsband
so I could've technically not really upgraded at all? Here's the comparison:

Original: 2GB (two 1GBs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

New: 4GB (two 2GBs) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

???

If that is the case, you should be fine - at least as far as not making it worse anyway. I believe he meant that you may have installed a stick of RAM that was slower than the previously installed one, meaning the previously installed one had to now run at the slower speed of the new one for them to sync properly. As this isn't the case with your RAM, the issue must presumably lie elsewhere.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
If that is the case, you should be fine - at least as far as not making it worse anyway. I believe he meant that you may have installed a stick of RAM that was slower than the previously installed one, meaning the previously installed one had to now run at the slower speed of the new one for them to sync properly. As this isn't the case with your RAM, the issue must presumably lie elsewhere.

I dunno then. He's right though. Certain songs we have recorded and we have a lot of plugins running that used to work fine and now with the upgraded ram its slower. I dunno. I only notice it going slower when using a lot of plugins on Logic. Elsewhere I'm happy I upgraded