Up until last night I've only played through what I consider "normal/regular" wahs. And that's a small list; a Vox and my current Dunlop 535Q.

Last night I sat in with some people and while I had my guitar, I wasn't using my rig. The only thing I touched on my friend's board was his wah. It was a Morley Bad Horsie. I'd never played through one before and was immediately struck by the switch-less design -- just walk up to it and start using it!

Are there other pedals out there like this? My buddy asked me if I wanted to try that Bad Horsie a year or two ago and I declined. I couldn't envision me liking "no switch". But when push came to shove, it was awesome!

Also, anyone know of a wah that can also be used as an Expression Pedal?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
It's usually on the side.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

What's usually on the side?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
The thread title.

Edit: V See? He got it.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

But seriously, there are some out there that do, the Morley's are probably the most popular. The only other one I've seen that do it as well is the Ibanez Wheeping Demon.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The thread title.

Edit: V See? He got it.
Oh damn, man! I completely missed it. Very nicely done!

Quote by Eppicurt

But seriously, there are some out there that do, the Morley's are probably the most popular. The only other one I've seen that do it as well is the Ibanez Wheeping Demon.

It's interesting to me how both of these have such a large footprint.

I'll have to check out one of these Ibanez.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Nuthin' else, huh?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by snipelfritz
Prepare to have your mind blown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpzcvNqfSEc

Plutonium Chi-Wah-Wah. Total reinvention of the wah-wah.

EDIT: Only problem is that you can't leave it on half-cocked.

MIND BLOWN!

That is awesome and sounds great! I can see it could take some getting use to as you're not rocking on it like a standard wah -- and I'd need to make sure it works that way when on a pedal board as opposed to being on the ground. But that's a VERY cool pedal!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Dan_5893
How the actual flip do switchless wahs work? Is it like a switched pot or something?

the Morley's use a photo-electric cell to monitor the motion instead of a regular pot. when the pedal is pushed down it activates the wah sound.
If you need a wah for high gain stuff, check out the Morely Tremonti Sig - it's switchless too.
I think I might check out the Morley Tremonti Sig. The videos I've seen of it on YT have been promising. But I've also found these:

I really like the form factor and size of the Plutonium Chi-Wah-Wah posted above. Very cool. I think it's too small to just be used on the floor and it's function would be compromised if it was on a raised board (like my PedalTrain). But I'm looking at moving to a flat board anyway, so this might still be a great choice...

I also found this Ultimate Wah Thread and am going through it. Unfortunately not everyone uses the same naming convention, so I can't just do a search for "switchless" or something else common...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
i like my Fulltone Clyde. the Deluxe version has a way larger potential for flexibility. the reason i chose the Clyde is because the wah sound has a much larger sweep than your typical wah pedal. you get more of the sweetspot. i step on a crybaby and its like top-tiny bit of sound inbetween -bottom. your sweeps are so much more longer.

also look into RMC.

also they are way cheaper used. i picked up my clyde for $90ish shipped off of some guy on TGP
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, my early edition RMC3 was about a hundred shipped from TGP as well.

It replaced my Clyde Deluxe.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Yeah, my early edition RMC3 was about a hundred shipped from TGP as well.

It replaced my Clyde Deluxe.

all three are great wahs. i was looking for an RMC3, but the fulltone popped up at the right time when i needed one. in box with papers, etc. it didn't even look like the box had been opened. i haven't tried them but i have heard a few talking about an RMC wizard wah.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by richardlpalmer
It's interesting to me how both of these have such a large footprint.

I'll have to check out one of these Ibanez.

Coming from someone who owns a WD-7 I advise that you avoid them. They definitely aren't worth the $100 price tag. When bypassed, they suck the life out of your tone, they have a very small sweep (imo), they are very thin and nasally sounding on the "normal range" setting (I always use mine on the "low range" setting), and they lack versatility - about the only thing they're good for is high gain stuff.

The only two people that I know of that use one are Herman Li from Dragonforce and Paul Wagoner from Between the Buried and Me.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i like my Fulltone Clyde. the Deluxe version has a way larger potential for flexibility. the reason i chose the Clyde is because the wah sound has a much larger sweep than your typical wah pedal. you get more of the sweetspot. i step on a crybaby and its like top-tiny bit of sound inbetween -bottom. your sweeps are so much more longer.

also look into RMC.

also they are way cheaper used. i picked up my clyde for $90ish shipped off of some guy on TGP

These are all switchless?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Switchless... meh. I like being able to use it as a filter if I want.

Is it really that big a deal to press down with your toe?

Besides, you can build a bypass box for it for about $15 if you don't want full on treble when you engage.

That's a no, btw, in answer to your question.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

For some ya. ...like me. I suck at pedal switching. I always forget to turn my effects on and off when I'm supposed to. Half the time I realize "oh, ya the wah part" and i end up stomping near it and only part of my foot hits it and its a crapshoot getting something musical out of it because I can barely play guitar and chew gum at the same time.

I
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Switchless... meh. I like being able to use it as a filter if I want.

Besides, you can build a bypass box for it for about $15 if you don't want full on treble when you engage.

That's a no, btw, in answer to your question.

Prior to trying the Horsie I would have said it's not a big deal -- and I thought I'd want to use my wah as a filter, so the spring-loaded action wouldn't suit me anyway.

But playing through it the other night changed my opinion completely.

You might also be a more skilled player than I (or at least more coordinated). I find myself struggling with the wah switch in particular. I end up stomping on the thing to make sure it switched or not knowing if it actually did so trying again -- eventually fighting with the thing.

The other night I was playing live and it was an absolute joy not to have my attention on that pedal at all! The only thing I had my attention on was playing. It was very liberating.

It wasn't until later that I realized I never intentionally use my wah as a filter (at least playing live)...

So I dig that it might seem silly to you. I would have never thought to bring it up as a problem (and I haven't) until actually using a switchless one, finding what a joy it was and realizing I'd been struggling for some time with non-switchless ones...

YMMV
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
i have mixed feelings with the switched or switchless/spring loaded wahs. i have played the morley bad horsie when i was hunting for the right wah, but it was nice to start out with, but i like switched. if they were able to hold a spot for a filter type thing. i also like the first stomp, it just has the energy. i don't have a problem activating and sweeping through, and the fulltone has a ton of range. the Clyde, Clyde Deluxe, RMC3, and Wizard would be what i would get.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 667
For some ya. ...like me. I suck at pedal switching. I always forget to turn my effects on and off when I'm supposed to. Half the time I realize "oh, ya the wah part" and i end up stomping near it and only part of my foot hits it and its a crapshoot getting something musical out of it because I can barely play guitar and chew gum at the same time.

I

that is something you have to practice. just practice switching different things on and off , than practice operating the switch on a standard wah. but it is a skill to a degree, and skill takes time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have mixed feelings with the switched or switchless/spring loaded wahs. i have played the morley bad horsie when i was hunting for the right wah, but it was nice to start out with, but i like switched. if they were able to hold a spot for a filter type thing. i also like the first stomp, it just has the energy. i don't have a problem activating and sweeping through, and the fulltone has a ton of range. the Clyde, Clyde Deluxe, RMC3, and Wizard would be what i would get.

Yeah, I'm not sure, but I got the impression some of these don't have the spring-loaded feature so they could be used as a filter...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is something you have to practice. just practice switching different things on and off , than practice operating the switch on a standard wah. but it is a skill to a degree, and skill takes time.

I know. Im getting better :-P

Still, switchless, even offering only just that little bit more convenience - makes it awesome. Id never give it up. Also, they hold up better than traditional wahs... no pots. It uses an optical sensor to track the pedal position - nothing to wear out in there.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by 667

Still, switchless, even offering only just that little bit more convenience - makes it awesome. Id never give it up. Also, they hold up better than traditional wahs... no pots. It uses an optical sensor to track the pedal position - nothing to wear out in there.

Yeah, there's a reason people like Vai, Tremonti, Hillard, etc. design, have and use these types.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Yeah, there's a reason people like Vai, Tremonti, Hillard, etc. design, have and use these types.

They have a shitton of money?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
They have a shitton of money?

Actually, that's a good point -- wasn't even going in that direction, but I'll take it.

These people have enough dough they can play any wah they want. They can have a wah designed any way they want. They can probably have any company that makes wahs build something to their exact specs.

At the end of the day, they chose a switchless design...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by 667

i can't remember if it was fulltone, or RMC that comes with a pot rated for some crazy number, like 1,000,000 cycles or something. i think that other things would start to have an issue before that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i can't remember if it was fulltone, or RMC that comes with a pot rated for some crazy number, like 1,000,000 cycles or something. i think that other things would start to have an issue before that.

Agreed! Heck, I'd probably want to try other pedals well before that ever became an issue...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
It's Fulltone.