Page 1 of 3
Quote by primusfan
stacks, even half stacks, are the musical equivalent of the Hummer or Escalade.

Discuss.

I tend to agree

What do you think when you see a big stack on stage?
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Um, it's an amp with the necessary capacity of volume needed for a musician playing in bigger venues?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Having four speakers that send out the sound, as well as the big, solid structure of the cabinet, makes the sound bigger, fuller and gives it more punch.
Having cabinets also makes it a lot easier to switch around bands on stage at smaller events: One band is done playing, he takes his head and leaves, new band comes on, new guy plugs his head into the speakers, no re-micing required.
Yeah, I mean why drive a Prius when you can drive a Hummer?
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
A hummer is an on and off road vehicle designed to travel over even the most undriveable landscapes in the world, it can drive up and along very steep angles, drive over slippery ice and through wet marshland, it can deflate its tires to increase traction, and inflate its tires while moving, it is an extremely versatile vehicle.

Stacks are designed for one purpose: loud sounds.

poor comparison.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
In what situation? When playing live, a half stack is pretty much a requirement once you get to certain sized audience. For bedroom situations, I do agree that half-stacks are total overkill.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Full stacks are pretty much pointless in smaller venues, unless you put them on opposite sides of the stage for a stereo sound. Of course, this only makes a difference in a smaller venue where most of what the audience hears is what comes directly from the amp, as opposed to from the PA.
no i completely agree with that statement, i always go to local shows and theres always a few bands where the guitarist(s) come loaded with a half stack or w/e and a head and then either blast it, drowning out the rest of the band, or have it really low -___- which then makes me wonder why not just get something that wont be a pain in the ass to haul around and that sounds good at a reasonable level? by the way the venues I go to see local bands are probably no bigger than a classroom and a half? idk they arent too big is what im getting at and I'm almost certain that these bands don't play venues that require stacks YET. Then again if you can afford it and want to just show off then go ahead...
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
Quote by Cb4rabid

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of me not giving a ****

yess thats mine

EWWWWWWWWW!

Get that damn bass away from it.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Myaccount876
I'd say TUBE half-stacks are the musical equivalent to hummers for the price and maintanence.
what overpriced piece of shit that isn't necessary can we compare SS half-stacks to?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
a halfstack cranked up to 11 at a coffee house is the musical equivalent of a hummer used in the suburbs. just a little too much. Halfstacks have their uses though. Like mentioned above, you have more flexibility in what amp you want to use with your cab. Also, alot of combos are open back, which create a different sound that the closed back cabs of a halfstack.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by JAHellraiser
what overpriced piece of shit that isn't necessary can we compare SS half-stacks to?

overpriced?
dumbed-down?
made for the looks?

olololol
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Jan 5, 2012,
You don't see weedy 18 year olds who have just learnt how to drive with hummers.

You DO see weedy 18 year olds who have just learnt how to play the guitar with half-stacks.
If you're a bedroom guitarist, sure, it's like your typical white trash driving a hummer to go to the mall .

if we're to make half assed comparisons you could compare a practice amp to a bicycle with training wheels huh . . .
They're good for large stages where you don't have monitors because you can get better sound dispersion so you can hear yourself better. Otherwise it doesn't matter because the crowd is going to be hearing it through the pa system.

Imo, the best configuration is a head and a well built 2x12 cab.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by Cb4rabid

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of me not giving a ****

yess thats mine

yay! bassist!!

yeah, any pseudo pro bassist rig is a hummer going down a sidewalk...

ahhh, the good 'ol bass. never fails to deliver...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by rockingamer2
Um, it's an amp with the necessary capacity of volume needed for a musician playing in bigger venues?

if you're playing bigger venues, chances are there is a full PA...which means the amp regardless of stack or combo will get Mic'ed! Most of the time bands with walls of stacks are only using one stack and its mic'ed...a 30 watt tube amp will fill the stage rather well and Mic'ed will get the bigger volume to the crowd.

IMO stacks are more useful if you want a 4x12 sound, because the same head will sound different with a 2x12 vs a 4x12.
I hauled a 6x10 around to local gigs for years because my band wanted me to. the roadie and I hauled an 8x10 around on a national tour. with an ampeg tube head. the band I was playing with owned them (thank god). but we only played TWO shows in two months that would've needed those. even then at any big venue there's going to be amp mic'ing and DI'ing anyway. most stacks are **** flexing and egoism IME.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jan 5, 2012,
Quote by primusfan
I hauled a 6x10 around to local gigs for years because my band wanted me to. the roadie and I hauled an 8x10 around on a national tour. with an ampeg tube head. the band I was playing with owned them (thank god). but we only played TWO shows in two months that would've needed those. not to mention at any big venue there's going to be amp mic'ing and DI'ing anyway. most stacks are **** flexing and egoism IME.

yeesh, that sounds rough. at least you had a roadie with you!

I will say one thing about my experience with larger combos, they are easily upwards of 20 kg, often only have a grip thing on the top, and have no wheels. At least with cabs you really only have to haul 'em up stairs and into the van.

8x10 is probably a little different than a normal 2 or 4x12 though
ive heard that you use a speaker system to "surround" your sound, not to make it louder . Shouldn't yourr amp be loud enough by itself before you mic it ? instead of say, turning up the pre amp to shit micing your local guitar shop house brand practice amp
Quote by JimmyBanks6
lol bass lol

man that thing must shake pictures off the wall

I don't turn it up past 3 for my own good
pinga
I squeal with excitement and get a glazed look on my face. I dream of what my guitar would sound like out of something other than a Spider III...so I'm buying a new amp this weekend. Gonna be great.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
If you're talking full stacks, then yes. But just having an amp and either a 4x12 or 2x12 is pretty reasonable. Cabs have a pretty big impact on your tone, and being able to mix and match is good thing. Also, more speaker = more pushed air, giving it a fuller sound.
Much like a good stack, everyone who flat-out hates Hummers has never tried one.

You feel so badass sitting behind the wheel that thing. They're expensive as hell to keep fueled, and being poor, for that reason I don't own one or plan to, but from the minute you hop in and see you're a good two feet higher than the van/four feet higher than the sedan, to hearing it roar, it's just plain fun and empowering to drive.

Again, I don't like them because they're not practical, I don't need it, it's expensive, and I can get a different high from other cars, but I understand why people love them. And in a lot of ways it's the same reasons people love half-stacks. Big, powerful, loud, fun.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
i have what i guess you could call a quarter stack, with a 2x12 cab
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
So my girlfriend gave me a half stack the other day?

Quote by Myaccount876
I'd say TUBE half-stacks are the musical equivalent to hummers for the price and maintanence.

Are you suggesting that SS's are comparable in tone to tube amps? If so, get out. Get out right now.

Only one man could make a solid state amp work, and he's in my avatar. Still he played through a full stack. Power mother****ers, power. Not volume. Power.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Andrea55
Hummers = little penis syndrome.

/just sayin'

Which is why my first car will be a Mini

OT: Yeah, never really used one. If the only purpose it has is "making things louder" then that just seems useless except for gigging (something I'll never do at this rate).
Quote by rockingamer2

This.

And if you do any towing, the H1 is pretty good. Not the best, but it's decent.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by seeneyj
What do you think when you see a big stack on stage?
I think, "Gee, that is a rather large stack up on the stage there."
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
Page 1 of 3