Page 1 of 2
I think everyone has a few songs that they listen to that they know they could learn the parts to quite easily, but deep down you probably never would because you couldn't touch it. I've just found mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_bL-2koP8

The solo kicks in at about 2.20 and then really starts to rip at about 2.44. Now I know listening to it that it'd probably take me less than half an hour to learn because it's not all that complicated, but there's something about it that I just don't think I could ever touch about it. One of those perfect takes.

What's yours?
Honestly, I've been playing the guitar for about 3 1/2 years, and I still find the very first bend in the solo for Stairway to Heaven hard to emulate. Jimmy's vibrato sounds so tender, I can't even compare.
Cliffs of dover. Been trying to play it for 4-5 years. Still mess up on 3 specific spots and its not even close to eric johnson tone wise or cleanliness.
Failed to mention intro speed too, I play it at about 70% till the intro is done. Damn thats hard.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 5, 2012,
You CAN NOT play Run To The Hills and sound like Iron Maiden, it's just not possible.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
I learned it by ear but I can never get the exact notes, i just play something similar to it, but it sounds alirght
Stairway's solo, I can't seem to get it right. Close, but not close enough.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Most things Hendrix, i can get the notes down perfectly, but I can't match the personality that he creates in the piece.
Quote by JesusCrisp
You CAN NOT play Run To The Hills and sound like Iron Maiden, it's just not possible.

THIS. Trust me, I've tried. It's gotta be one of their hardest songs.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
All o' Neutral Milk Hotel.

I ain't got dem lungs.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Divinations - Mastodon

DAT SOLO
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Anything by Pink Floyd or The Flaming Lips.

Then again I don't ever try to sound exactly like another band. I just don't see the point in that. I'm always going for my own sound that's influenced by other people.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by JesusCrisp

Really... I think I can....I use an old Marshall 9000 preamp for that stuff. I am gonna have to try that one tomorrow. # of the beast is hard for me now. 10 years ago I could nail intro part now that I am 41 its getting harder. You kinda gain lot of respect for those guy since they are older than me and can still play like that live. but then again they do that stuff almost everyday. I only get to play 2-3 days a week.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 6, 2012,
11th hour.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by JesusCrisp

On bass I can.... :/
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
If something is that cool, I'm sure as hell gunna learn it, but won't be stupid enough to cover it unless everyone in the band is really good.
Quote by TheSPillow
Divinations - Mastodon

DAT SOLO

this.

I tried and I failed.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Maggot Brain was the first that came to mind
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Quote by stealstrings
THIS. Trust me, I've tried. It's gotta be one of their hardest songs.

Well how long have you been playing for?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by JesusCrisp

This. For some reason I can't do gallops at all, even though I know how to do them in my head. My picking speed isn't there.

Creeping Death - Metallica. I can play it alright, but it's the speed of main riff (the one after the intro) that I can't nail. Last year I learnt it without the song in the background, then when I played it with the song I was about 75% the speed. Put me off playing guitar and still haven't really picked it up since.
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
the solo for Buckethead's Nottingham Lace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxpOdMRUcRc
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Stairway solo is pretty easy you noobs

For me its Eruption, I could hack out a decent attempt by myself but to I don't think I could ever match it up to the recording. Not to mention he doesn't use a metronome and to learn to replicate his exact rhythmic variations would be pointless. And I ****ing hate five-tuplets thanks to this song now
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by bastards
11th hour.

dude... don't get me started on how sore my hand gets trying to play the fast part q_q
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
The big solo in Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. Its easy and I love it, but I don't get the feeling of it. It sounds bland when I play it.
Quote by Nemm
This is usually a matter of money over talent...

Eh, maybe not. A quick look in this thread, and you see guys that have been playing for three or four years not being able to play songs written and performed by top session players and virtuosos that had been playing for many suns and moons before recording those pieces.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Wiegenlied
Stairway solo is pretty easy you noobs

For me its Eruption, I could hack out a decent attempt by myself but to I don't think I could ever match it up to the recording. Not to mention he doesn't use a metronome and to learn to replicate his exact rhythmic variations would be pointless. And I ****ing hate five-tuplets thanks to this song now

I have to say this. It's not a hard song initially, but to replicate it like Eddie does isn't possible.

As for myself, the solo in Throes of Perdition by Trivium has the sweetest vibrato that I feel like it is not something to be matched.

Anything by Per Nilsson can not be made again.
Quote by JesusCrisp

yes/ you can

my guitar teacher used to play iron maiden note for note it was ****ing creepy
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Corrosion Of Conformity-Stonebreaker. Beginning solo. I can play it but it sounds generic as hell and I don't have the vibrato skills of Woody Weatherman. He's got one of the best vibratos I've ever heard and very underrated.
Quote by Jako215
I can't play any Protest the Hero songs. As hard as I try I give up and move onto something else.

I can play the intro to Limb From Limb!

...That's about it, at least as far as that song goes.
Quote by CobenBlack
I think everyone has a few songs that they listen to that they know they could learn the parts to quite easily, but deep down you probably never would because you couldn't touch it. I've just found mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_bL-2koP8

The solo kicks in at about 2.20 and then really starts to rip at about 2.44. Now I know listening to it that it'd probably take me less than half an hour to learn because it's not all that complicated, but there's something about it that I just don't think I could ever touch about it. One of those perfect takes.

wow, thanks for introducing me to this. that solo is next on the list for me trying to learn/fail.

also, trying to get the sound of any Steely Dan solo is hard, that guitar is so crisp.
Last edited by chev311e at Jan 6, 2012,
Quote by lobster624
Maggot Brain was the first that came to mind

I like you.

Supposedly when Catfish Collins auditioned for the band, he played a perfect, note-for-note rendition of that song. So maybe he's the only one who could.

He still wasn't as awesome as Eddie Hazel though.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by cfhdomination
Corrosion Of Conformity-Stonebreaker. Beginning solo. I can play it but it sounds generic as hell and I don't have the vibrato skills of Woody Weatherman. He's got one of the best vibratos I've ever heard and very underrated.

I wish I could play that solo....

For me I think it'd have to be Man In the Box by Alice in Chains
It's such a simple song and solo but I can never find the tone I want for it. And I'm never happy with my bends or how I use the Wah pedal.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Page 1 of 2