Page 1 of 3
Just as the title says. I have a ton of experience playing metal but it doesn't appeal as much to me these days as jazz, blues, country and good classic rock n' roll currently is. I'm having a Clapton / Hendrix phase. Theoretically, there is no budget; I will spend what I feel is necessary for a reliable guitar because it will benefit my future career in music. But as far as numbers go, we'll start at the ~3k range and go up to 5k. Don't get out of control, I'm not looking for a limited edition EVH replica for $15,000 from Musician's Friend.

Discuss.
Last edited by HSB_Shred at Jan 5, 2012,
An american Tele may do the job?
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Quote by HSB_Shred
Just as the title says. I have a ton of experience playing metal but it doesn't appeal as much to me these days as jazz, blues, country and good classic rock n' roll currently is. I'm having a Clapton / Hendrix phase. Theoretically, there is no budget; I will spend what I feel is necessary for a reliable guitar because it will benefit my future career in music. But as far as numbers go, we'll start at the ~3k range and go up to 5k. Don't get out of control, I'm not looking for a limited edition EVH replica for $15,000 from Musician's Friend.

Discuss.

American Vintage 57? Only 1800 I think.

Other than that, Fender custom shop has a bunch, but I don't think they are really worth it over something like a 1K MIA strat.
One question: are you in need of any sort of amplification upgrade?
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
at that sort of budget, i wouldn't worry too much about our choices and buy the guitar you ultimately desire.

If i wanted one, i'd look at a PRS DC3.

Or an american deluxe strat.

Or just go to a custom shop. I really don't know with that sort of money
I'll vouch for the Tele, you see all kinds of musicians playing them, and they're definitely worth the money versus something like a Gibson guitar. Most people find them to be quite comfortable and easy to play, and the lack of a 22nd fret isn't too big of a deal.

Edit: Totally forgot about PRS. I'm not that knowledgeable about them, but I do know that they are amazing value for money, and I loved the few that I have played.
Last edited by ChamsRock at Jan 5, 2012,
PRS custom 24. I've seen them used in almost any genre and I've played one and its just an amazing guitar.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
An old 60's Gibby LP. I can get anything out of it.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by 14xjake
PRS custom 24. I've seen them used in almost any genre and I've played one and its just an amazing guitar.

If I ever win the lottery this is on my list of things to buy!

Science is crazy!
Surely a custom shop job

Try first act, you get something to your specifications
Or a custom shop Stratocaster
Quote by TerrBear2012
One question: are you in need of any sort of amplification upgrade?

While I have you all here, I could make use of an amp upgrade. Currently working with a Line 6 which is fine but I'd like some other opinions as I've had it for quite a while.

Thank you all for the prompt replies, I have been looking at PRS models, specifically the Hollowbody II and the Custom 24 (also have been searching for a Custom 22 for months but can't seem to find anyone willing to sell theirs). The Telecaster is also under consideration, as is the classic American Strat.

All opinions are welcomed, thanks again
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe? Vox AC 15 or 30? For Jazz maybe Bugera?

Science is crazy!
Quote by hawk5211
New amp first with that budget. Line 6 is shit.

A nice Fender would work for the whole clapton/hendrix thing. Again, in that price range, i'm not sure specifically what would work.

Thanks for the input, I agree that it has been a trouble to get a decent tone out of this amp but after a few years of tweaking I have a workable sound. Will definitely look into some Fender models, do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for a 50-100 watt maximum, my neighbors don't like the classics as much as I do
Hot Rod Deluxe 40 watt, my friend has NEVER turned his past 3 I think. It's almost obnoxiously loud with sweet tone! Add a delay pedal and you're in heaven

Science is crazy!
Even a 50 Watter will blow their doors off lol.

I can't really give you good advice here. I'm more into SRV, so I'd buy a Super reverb, which wouldn't do you as well.

Clapton was using 57 Deluxes recently I believe.
H/S/S Fender or like

P90'ed LP
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by HSB_Shred

Discuss.

if you want:

a trem and 24 frets- go Ibanez - skip jackson (to me ibanez tone range is more dynamic than a jackson- havent tried the pc signature

a trem 22 frets- charvel- get a custom san dimas or something

22 frets many tones- get an gibson explorer and change the pups and pots (the standard pots are linear and you need tapered. but the neck and the woods are solid for anything from slow jazz to heavy metal

24 frets, no trem- once again go for ibanez

those are just the big companies with standard production models.

you want an amazing instrument, go for a suhr

they make amazing custom guitars and are simply beautiful- a real work of art. I only ever played one and it was like 4400 dollars, but if I had that, i'd buy it in a snap
Fender strat (American Special HSS or custom shop) and a 65' deluxe reverb LE amp would probably do just about anything you would ever want. I think a tele would be a good option also but i don't have any experience with them so i can't vouch personally for them.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
HSB_Shred, if you're willing to/planning on spending that kind of money and you don't have a particular guitar in mind, I'd go with a custom or customizable guitar.

Customizable: Carvins are great guitars. I don't own one, but I know a bunch of people who do and they all love their guitars. As a result, I have a pair of SH550s on my GAS list. In faddition, there are a lot of companies that do business like Carvin does...if you contact them and ask nicely. Not everyone does. There is a guitar company I've been bugging for 4 years about getting a baritone version of one of their guitars, and each time, I get a polite "no."

Custom: I own 5 Jon Kammerer guitars- all standard models of his- and donated another to a charity auction. Some day, I will get a custom from him. Maybe more than one. His standard models start at $995, and his customs go for $2000+. Now, he's in the Chacago area, and I'm in the Dallas area. I met him & his work at a guitar show. I know of some local luthiers I'm planninfpg on doing business with, but they're backed up at the moment, some with multi-year waiting lists. If you look at a show (like I did) or in your area, you'll probably find someone who can get you what you want when you want it in your price range.

As for features...I'd either go with splittable Humbuckers or a mix of single coils & humbuckers. I'd also lean towards a hiollowbody/semi-hollowbody design as opposed to a solidbody for additional tonal qualities' the ability to play a acoustically (sort of)...and the lighter weight.

As for amps...I'm not as familiar with all the options out there. Generally, I want a clean amp that doesn't color my sound too much, letting my pedals do most of the shaping. Because of this, I own a Fender HRD. (That said, I am finding it doesn't scratch my metal itch enough, so I'm contemplating some kind of Orange.)

That's my $0.02.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 5, 2012,
If I had that kind of money, I would get a custom shop strat or a R7 and then a bluesbreaker or deluxe reverb.

That being said, that's a lot of money to blow based on what strangers on the internet are telling you. Go try out every guitar in the store to make sure that you get something that you actually like. I know this isn't the advice that you solicited, but don't let money like that burn a hole in your pocket. Know what you actually want first.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 5, 2012,
That being said, that's a lot of money to blow based on what strangers on the internet are telling you.

Those are some true words right there.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by kai29
if you want:

a trem and 24 frets- go Ibanez - skip jackson (to me ibanez tone range is more dynamic than a jackson- havent tried the pc signature

a trem 22 frets- charvel- get a custom san dimas or something

22 frets many tones- get an gibson explorer and change the pups and pots (the standard pots are linear and you need tapered. but the neck and the woods are solid for anything from slow jazz to heavy metal

24 frets, no trem- once again go for ibanez

those are just the big companies with standard production models.

you want an amazing instrument, go for a suhr

they make amazing custom guitars and are simply beautiful- a real work of art. I only ever played one and it was like 4400 dollars, but if I had that, i'd buy it in a snap

Thanks for the detailed answer, I will most definitely be looking into these. Trying to avoid another trem though, had one a few years ago and it caused me nothing but headaches and repair bills.
Quote by al112987
If I had that kind of money, I would get a custom shop strat or a R7 and then a bluesbreaker or deluxe reverb.

That being said, that's a lot of money to blow based on what strangers on the internet are telling you. Go try out every guitar in the store to make sure that you get something that you actually like. I know this isn't the advice that you solicited, but don't let money like that burn a hole in your pocket. Know what you actually want first.

Oh, I wasn't intending to sound like I was about to take the first "good" opinion and spend a few thousand dollars on it. Of course, having played guitar for many years, I have learned that opinion is simply opinion. There's a ton of hype about the Gibson Les Paul and I don't disagree that it's a beautiful guitar but it doesn't play right with my small hands. I appreciate everyone's input, and each new perspective adds to my eventual decision

Cheers everyone, I will be continually looking at this thread
Cheers everyone, I will be continually looking at this thread

And you'd better come back with a damn good NGD!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
And you'd better come back with a damn good NGD!

You can be certain of that. I hardly remember the excitement from purchasing my current guitar, need to experience it again
Quote by Dio10101
I'd go for PRS custom 22 but play around and see what you like

I would love one but after months of searching, I can't find anyone who is willing to sell theirs. Unfortunately it's a discontinued model from what I've been told.
Way under budget and will probably destroy most suggestions for versatility. Brian May replica. Korean made, ebony fretboard, 24 frets, 3 trisonic pickups, wilkinson bridge, grover locking tuners, amazing switching ability.

Just tonight we played a game where I get to choose one amp and just using settings on the amp and the guitar but no pedals or different amps I had to match guitar tone from any song anyone could come up with. Haven't found a song I can't match yet. Single coils, humbuckers, p90's, blues, rock, metal . . . anything you like.

It's about $900 is the US I think, maybe less, but they're built very well. I've had mine for 4 years, dropped it loads and it doesn't show any wear and hasn't ever had a single problem despite being gigged and recorded with for over a year.

EDIT: Just gone back and re-read the opening post - Hendrix was one of the guys in the test actually. We found that by backing off the tone control and having the neck and the bridge engaged, we got a very good hendrix voodoo child

Don't get me wrong this guitar isn't as well built as a custom prs, though I think the gap is smaller than the price would suggest but this guitar will be more versatile than anything else you can buy failing a line 6 Variax or something. Plus you don't have to get it in Red either, mines in white with shell pickguard. Looks great.
Last edited by CobenBlack at Jan 6, 2012,
How about a Ibanez s770 or a s570 or a HermanLi EGEN8 ll all under the $850 range and H/S/H.
What the hell!!!
Quote by CobenBlack
Way under budget and will probably destroy most suggestions for versatility. Brian May replica. Korean made, ebony fretboard, 24 frets, 3 trisonic pickups, wilkinson bridge, grover locking tuners, amazing switching ability.

Just tonight we played a game where I get to choose one amp and just using settings on the amp and the guitar but no pedals or different amps I had to match guitar tone from any song anyone could come up with. Haven't found a song I can't match yet. Single coils, humbuckers, p90's, blues, rock, metal . . . anything you like.

It's about $900 is the US I think, maybe less, but they're built very well. I've had mine for 4 years, dropped it loads and it doesn't show any wear and hasn't ever had a single problem despite being gigged and recorded with for over a year.

I've got one of those on my GAS list, too- glad to hear a positive testimonial!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I've got one of those on my GAS list, too- glad to hear a positive testimonial!

You should absolutely go for it. They are amazing guitars, and I won't even just qualify that with for the price. They are brilliant guitars at any price point. For the price they are made, they are astonishing. I'm actually thinking of getting a second as a live backup. I just feel they are so often used just for brian may covers which is a horrendous shame because they are so much more than that.
LOL I misread your looking At 3-5K Get an Ibanez Prestige or a JEM and save some dough. Spending much more is just waysting it on "ART" quality guitars unless that is what you want.
Although I absolutly think PRS are ripoffs I played a 513. That is a good one.....if you can find one. I see them go for around 4-5K. But for that much I would rather get an Ibanez(maybe 2) AND a new amp.
What the hell!!!
I see them go for around 4-5K.

In what currency? I see them from $2.8-3.4K (that's USD).

Thats in USD. In MN CL I saw a used one last week at around $3500 And I think a guitar center in town had a new one at $4100.
What the hell!!!
If you REALLY want versatility, get an Ernie Ball Musicman JP6 or a Parker Fly.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Current update:

I was contacted last night by a couple guys in my city who are looking to sell some wood! (no homo )

The first message I received was from someone who has a 1990 PRS Custom 24, and a 1993 PRS Custom 24 with different specs of course.

The second reply was from a person who is selling their 2005 Fender American Strat.

I will definitely be taking a look at these guitars, and from pictures, the Strat is absolutely gorgeous.

Of course, these guitars are much lower price than what I was hoping to pay which is another bonus, albeit for used equipment. I will update you all on further developments, thanks again for the discussion
Page 1 of 3