guys i need your help on this. I dont hav much money, but Im playing in a metal band rt now, and Im wondering, Should i buy a new pickup first? or a new amp? I have a decent amp and decent pickups. I have an ESP ltd viper, and a line 6 spider combo amp. I have eyes on an EMG H4 pickup (for just the bridge), and a Peavey Vypyr 100 combo. Which should I aim for first?
The Vypyr can make almost anything sound good, while even great pickups are going to sound kinda "meh" through a spider so I'd go for the Vypyr first
Amp. Definitely amp. If you upgrade the pickups but youre still using a crappy amp, you wont be able to use the pickups to their full potential.
...you do not have a decent amp you have a prectice amp

i suggest you get a new amp first it will have more of an effect on your one
changing pick ups with that amp you wont notice a diffeence(and mabe you could choose bette rpick ups i was never fond of the emg passive line honestly)
I'd go for an amp. And not a 'hybrid' amp like you intend. These amps process your sound pretty thoroughly, so a pickup change wont be as great as it is with an all tube amp.
With a budget based on the vypyr cost I'd buy a 5150 112.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I'd go for an amp. And not a 'hybrid' amp like you intend. These amps process your sound pretty thoroughly, so a pickup change wont be as great as it is with an all tube amp.

seconded
Go for the vypyr. GO FOR IT!!!!
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
My sig got smaller! I hate this recession...
Quote by StonedColdCrazy

+1. you'll be very impressed with the sound of the 5150.
But the 5150 is a tad pricey, well it is where I come from, the 6505+ would be a good option, but the vypyr does a pretty good job of emulating the 6505. SO I still think the vypyr, provided its the right one, is the best bet. Mind you, I suggest saving for a mad ass randall or a mad ass blackstar, if you go for the blackstar, you'll never want for another amp again.
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
I got the ht-5h, I still want a diezel herbert

\/Wtf?\/ This guy is metal as ****.

*imagines thrashy punk with pirate lyrics. Sweet.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 5, 2012,
Forsooth! This knight hath been attempt'ing a calculation of thine finances, dear DanGuitarist, by diving ye prices of one Vypyr 100 combo and EMGH4 and additioning them together! 'Tis approximately 500 dollars for thou to spend'eth?

If this be'ith accurate may this knight echo ye advisement of Lord Peavey's 6505 combo!

Unsure am I about ye EMG H4 pickup, however. Hath thee considered an EMG 81?

If there be monies remaining from these transactions, do not neglect'eth to procure "adult beverages" for thine wenches whom frequent thee troubadours performances - in order to release ye wenches inhibitions, allowing thee to compromise thiere innocent virtue!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Knight's post all ways put me in a better mood.

Go with the peavey though at least try for the Vypyr 30. And if you want a pickup dont get the H4 its over priced and not very good. Take a look at guitarfetish.com for some nice cheap pickups.
I do not follow. He wanted initially a 100 watt hybrid amp so you suggest a 30 watt solid state of the same make?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I do not follow. He wanted initially a 100 watt hybrid amp so you suggest a 30 watt solid state of the same make?

Oh I missread some how. I saw 15 not 100. lol nvm. Actually then I suggest the 60 watt *its tube rather than solid state* or a valve king.
Not really. The 60 watt vypyr is as tube as the vox vt30. Sure its got A tube, but solid state compnents so its 'hybrid'
I'd go for an amp. I've heard EMG H4 are good pick ups (I use a single EMG 81), but I'd get that amp first.
You really can't go wrong with your LTD the way it is, they really aren't all that bad. That being said go with the 6505. It will have THE tone you're looking for.
Last edited by SonicTheShreder at Jan 6, 2012,
thanks guys for the help! I'll prolly go with the amp, but im lookin at a different pickup now. Im now looking at the EMG ALX Alexi Laiho pickup. Tight as hell!! Still, gonna get an amp first. Again, thanks.
Good those HZ pickups are worse than stock epiphone LP specials, and thats pretty hard to acheive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ye Black Knight
Forsooth! This knight hath been attempt'ing a calculation of thine finances, dear DanGuitarist, by diving ye prices of one Vypyr 100 combo and EMGH4 and additioning them together! 'Tis approximately 500 dollars for thou to spend'eth?

If this be'ith accurate may this knight echo ye advisement of Lord Peavey's 6505 combo!

Unsure am I about ye EMG H4 pickup, however. Hath thee considered an EMG 81?

If there be monies remaining from these transactions, do not neglect'eth to procure "adult beverages" for thine wenches whom frequent thee troubadours performances - in order to release ye wenches inhibitions, allowing thee to compromise thiere innocent virtue!

This post now concludeth!

I'm going to start following this guys comments because this has set me up for a good nights sleep. You, gracious Sir Knight, haveth donned upon me a glow of relishing delight, as foulest as that may be turned. Sir, I wish thou a merry good morrow.
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Not really. The 60 watt vypyr is as tube as the vox vt30. Sure its got A tube, but solid state compnents so its 'hybrid'

Actually, it has a phase inverter pre-amp tube, and a full tube power section. It's more tube than most hybrids. The Vox vt30 only has a pre amp tube. The Vypyr Tube actually sounds much different from the Vypyr. I tested the tube 60 on (non-tube)75 together quite a bit and I enjoy the Tube 60 much more.

The only problem I have with the tube 60 is that some channels sound similar while on the solid-state they sound completely different... Well worth this drawback!

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
I have a Vypyr 15 and I love it! So the 100 should be amazing... go with the amp!
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
Quote by StonedColdCrazy

the tube vypyr has an all tube poweramp.

the VT's tube doesn't really do anything worth them putting them in there other than the right to say 'it has a toob so it has to be better'. an advertising point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Instead of the 100, get the 75 AND the pickups. Unless any less than 100 will hurt you, the difference will hardly be noticeable, and you'll be able to get both. I will add that The tube Vypyr is a pain to maintain compared to the solid state, and that you may be happier without the necessary maintenance that the tubes require.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
valve king, 6505, or vypyr 60 tube. in that order, look used, its cheaper. the vypyr tube is way better than any current modeling amp within anything near its price.

go play them. see what you think.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/