Well the title says it all, I'm stuck. Any advice? Thanks in advance
Well, you start with one chord. And then you add another one after that. And then another one after that. And...you get the idea.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sure,

Learn Your Major scales.

Learn how major scales form certain chords in major keys

Learn Minor scales, and how they form chords in minor keys.

Learn diatonic harmony.

Learn harmonic notation

Learn cadences and voice leading

Learn modal interchange

With those skill sets you will have a great arsenal of useful knowledge to create and understand a wide variety of chord progressions.

Best,

Sean
Well, you should know all the basic chords in a given key at least. Just use them to your likings but you should have some kind of ear of where you want to go and be humming or singing at least one note in the chord. Study your fav songs chord progressions and see what they do.

If you are in A minor you might want to start out with the Am or A5 chord and use the other chords in between and maybe end on an A5 or Am to establish to you and your listeners the resolution on the A note. So, it is a really good idea to keep in mind what key you are in and to firmly establish it. ( Probably though , it would just happen naturally).
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Jan 5, 2012,
Learn the functions of Every Diatonic Chord--ie which ones are stable chords, which are dominant preps, which are dominant. Then study some counterpoint if you want to learn how to voice-lead the chords like a pro.
I usually start with a melody and build a chord structure over that.

However people who don't know their theory sometimes crank out some pretty interesting chord progressions that I learn from too.

I'd just say play chords, go for whatever sounds good. Also, if you haven't played the rhythm parts of any songs (ie. chords) you'll want to learn a couple to get your confidence playing them up.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It would appear that most good-sounding progressions have been used before. This is why trying to write a song from a chord progression doesn't work for me... if it's any good it sounds like something I've heard before. I wrote Sweet Home Alabama last year, and, only the other day, Sympathy For The Devil.