Yes, he should be arrested too.
58 53%
No, he should not be arrested.
41 38%
Undecided
10 9%
Voters: 109.
Page 1 of 2
I was just thinking. Let's say this guy finds a drug dealer and wants to buy a lot of drugs. So, he gives the dealer $500 dollars for cocaine, ecstasy, rock, what have you. Now let's say the dealer doesn't give him the drugs, takes his money, and hits the guy or just walks away.

The guy calls the cops, reports the dealer, and the dealer gets arrested. Should the guy who got ripped off also get arrested for trying to buy drugs?

EDIT: BEFORE ANYONE COMMENTS ON MY USER TITLE, this is not about me. I know how you bastards are. I'm a student. I'm too poor to blow $500 on drugs.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Last edited by Colgate Total at Jan 5, 2012,
He should, but he should just say he is a dealer he knows and he had no intent to buy.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
It doesn't matter, because the guy who called the cops is going to get shot.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Should he? Depends on the drug(s)
Would he? Yes

Quote by Ganoosh

Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I'm pretty sure the intent to buy is grounds for arrest, so yes.

+1

That's how an undercover can get you. If you don't ask if someone is a cop they don't have to tell you and it isn't entrapment. Once your money changes hands you're pretty much ****ed.

You don't ever mix drugs and law enforcement voluntarily...

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
+1

That's how an undercover can get you. If you don't ask if someone is a cop they don't have to tell you and it isn't entrapment. Once your money changes hands you're pretty much ****ed.

Is this true? I've heard it's just a myth (from the film Due date , but it sounds quite handy if it is in the UK.
Quote by benonbass1
Is this true? I've heard it's just a myth (from the film Due date , but it sounds quite handy if it is in the UK.

No, it's true. Police officers do not have to reveal themselves if asked.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
+1

Actually, undercover cops are allowed to just lie to you straight up if you ask them if they're cops. Their job would be impossible if they couldn't.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by Colgate Total
No, it's true. Police officers do not have to reveal themselves if asked.

Nah dude that ain't true. So I go to buy some heroin from an undercover cop and then i'm like oh wait, you aren't a cop are you? so he's just gonna say ahhh shit brah you caught me my bad... cops are dicks they don't care
Cops don't have to reveal themselves... Imagine how undercover cops would get screwed so easily if this myth was true.

OT- Yea you'd get arrested.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Quote by BlissfulApathy
Nah dude that ain't true. So I go to buy some heroin from an undercover cop and then i'm like oh wait, you aren't a cop are you? so he's just gonna say ahhh shit brah you caught me my bad... cops are dicks they don't care

You should reread the person you quoted lol
From a purely legal standpoint, yes. In my own opinion, I don't think drugs should be illegal, so no.
"I was totally doing it to catch him, dawg, fo' serious."
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
If the guy just called the cops on the dealer, not saying that he wast intending to buy drug, no. But of course the dealer is going to rat him out too.

If the guy is stupid enough to say that he was intending to buy drugs to the cops, yes.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I saw that on Cops once. A lady paid for crack from her neighbor and then called police when she wouldn't give the crack to her. the police had them both sit down, and asked her to repeat the accusations because he just couldn't believe it.

Also i had couple of friends who tried to hire some hookers. they gave the hookers their money, and the hookers walked away with their money. prostitution is illegal where i am, so not much they could do there. dumbasses.
Yes he should be arrested for attempting to buy illegal wears. If he was caught on the act he would be too, so why wouldn't he be guilty when he's robbed? He was still there buying that shit.
Eh, in my opinion no. I guess technically they should be though.

But supply is often looked upon more harshly than possession, so the guy who reported it helped catch a perpetrator of a more serious crime. If they can knock years off people's jailtime for informing, why not overlook a crime which didn't actually occur if it helped catch a more important criminal?
🙈 🙉 🙊
They can nail you with "intent to sell" based on your quantity and situation, so I'm sure they can do something similar with intent to buy.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
If there was any justice in the world then no, since buying drugs should not be a crime, whereas stealing someones money / hitting them and running off with their money should be a crime since it is morally wrong, unlike buying drugs which is not morally wrong.
no, but giving a drug dealer that much money is stupid, unless you know them. i got ripped off $20 on weed before, and it just sucks, but if you are buying $500 worth of drugs go thru a friend that can get it for you. you would get in trouble for intent to buy and use drugs, so your hypothetical druggie is a moron.
Guy should be arrested for being a proper knob and handing over that much cash

(probably been said)
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Zoot Allures
If there was any justice in the world then no, since buying drugs should not be a crime, whereas stealing someones money / hitting them and running off with their money should be a crime since it is morally wrong, unlike buying drugs which is not morally wrong.

the people you bought from bought from someone who bought from someone who probably commited a crime to get you those drugs. not weed people grow that shit in their house/backyard. but people die over selling heroin, mod wars? that stuff is real. havent you watched requeim for a dream? not saying movie = real life, but it has some truth to it. if all drugs were legalised, and bought and sold at medical retailers, it would eliminate many problems, almost all of them...actually, im sure all of them would be eliminated and the government would make money.
Quote by Ganoosh

This.

I've seen it on cops though, and the person wanting to buy got arrested. And we all know that cops is the be all and end all of justice.
the guy who called the cops is an idiot. there's a million ways to get around that. 'he told me he's just selling me some exotic chicken eggs!' for example.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Under British law, yes, he would be arrested and charged. Not sure of the exact section, but it'll be contrary to an offence somewhere under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

The guy willingly handed over money in order to purchase what he knew - or at least believed - to be drugs. Thus the guilty mind is present and the physical intention is there, so the crime has been committed.
How is this not common knowledge?

I cut the legalese for this one.

Basically, he is soliciting an illegal activity. Therefore he will be seen as an accomplice.

Conversely, on the issue of entrapment:

In various cases its been reiterated that inducing to a person to commit an offence, especially by non-governmental authorities is against principles of natural justice. (1)

(1) Court on Its Own Motion v. State- WP (CRL.) NO. 796/2007
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Ganoosh

This.
I think people are seeing a 'w' in place of the 'sh'.

I'd say no, he shouldn't be arrested. Mainly because I don't think drugs should be illegal.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I don't think he should get arrested. Because I believe all drugs should be legal. but according to law, he WOULD be arrested for intent to purchase illegal substances.
Edit: Holy sheite! I almost wrote word for word what the guy above me wrote! I guess I should read the last post before spewing my opinions!
Last edited by Maximo33 at Jan 6, 2012,
Intent to buy drugs? I dunno. I'd arrest him for being a dumbass, and I even think drugs should be legalized.

Quote by flanelman

Also i had couple of friends who tried to hire some hookers. they gave the hookers their money, and the hookers walked away with their money. prostitution is illegal where i am, so not much they could do there. dumbasses.

Sounds like they got screwed anyway.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Performing any action which is a substantial step towards the commission of the crime would get you arrested.
You'd be unlucky to get in real shit from it though, unless it was trying to buy 5k worth of heroin. I've lost count of the amount of people I know that have been caught selling pot and just got a warning, so intent to buy would probably be the same.
People saying "I believe droogs should be made legal, so no, lol" are missing the point of the question.

The question was made under the context that drugs are illegal and therefore should the person who purports to buy drugs be convicted of a crime.

Again, yes he should. He would get arrested because he should get arrested. And he should get arrested because he is party to an illegal transaction/contract.

But if the question was "Should drug-dealers and customers be held as criminals for carrying out their particular trade?". Then, no they should not, BECAUSE drugs should not be illegal.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Last edited by shattamakar at Jan 6, 2012,
Page 1 of 2