The Relatively Good Book Club: Month One - Discussion Thread & Further Sign-Ups

Page 1 of 3
The idea of doing a book club has been tossed around a whole bunch recently in the The literature/relatively good book thread, so after a false start and some retooling, we're going to make this thing a reality.

For our first month, we will be reading Franz Kafka's The Trial.

Now, you can whine and moan about not having a say in the book for this month, but I'll just call you a jerk for not popping your head into the other thread and voting.

So here is the schedule for the first month:

1/1-1/8 - Voting, Get Book
1/9-1/15 - Chapters I & II
1/16-1/22 - Chapters III-VI
1-23-1/29 - Chapters VII-X

Feel free to read past that point, but if you want to discuss something past that, please mark it spoilers. Everything else is fair game to talk about, no matter how high- or low-minded you may think you comments would be.

And yes, I understand that there is a little bit of a time crunch this month because we got a late start, but hopefully it doesn't cause any issues. Generally, the first week will have a slightly shorter number of pages to read so people can have some extra time to get a hold of the book. In the second to last week of the month, we can start talking about the plan for next month.

Your local library should have a copy, so I would check there before you go out and purchase a copy. If you prefer, you can find it for free on Project Gutenberg.

We'd really like to make this a monthly thing, so please, sign up, read, and discuss with us.

Participants
uhh_me?
Shr3dz0r
Tupu
Tanglewoodguit
blackborrego
darkstar2466
justinb904
Weaponized
genghisgandhi
AeroRocker
dann_blood
JohnnyGenzale
iro-bot31
Rancid Ivy
Cianyx
opc100
Ostinattos
dullsilver_mike
WhiskeyFace
element4433
cornmancer
daytripper75
qaz923
spitonastranger
Cal UK
I.O.T.M
guitarxo
So-Cal
Smeghead64
Masshuu
Talk Box
Holy Katana
thedefrockednun
MAC2322
thedefrockednun

Possibly Next Month
Vandals572
neidnarb11890
Duffman123
A quick bit about the book:

At the time of Kafka's death in 1924, The Trial was left unfinished. Kafka charged his close friend Max Brod with destroying all of his unfinished works. Brod disregarded this, as Kafka may have know he would have, and edited and published many of Kafka's unfinished writings.
Quote by uhh_me?
A quick bit about the book:

At the time of Kafka's death in 1924, The Trial was left unfinished. Kafka charged his close friend Max Brod with destroying all of his unfinished works. Brod disregarded this, as Kafka may have know he would have, and edited and published many of Kafka's unfinished writings.

I've heard that story and for a long time it put me off reading 'The Trial'.
Same reason I've never listened to Jeff Buckley's 'Songs for my Sweetheart the Drunk', because it was released unfinished and against his wishes.
Last edited by spitonastranger at Jan 6, 2012,
Just downloaded the Project Gutenberg version to my Nook. I might get started this weekend since my college starts a new semester on Monday.
Quote by spitonastranger
I've heard that story and for a long time it put me off reading 'The Trial'.
Same reason I've never listened to Jeff Buckley's 'Songs for my Sweetheart the Drunk', because it was released unfinished and against his wishes.

honestly, it isn't really disruptive to reading the book. there is so much that Kafka intentionally leaves out that it actually sort of fits well.

and i've put off hearing that Jeff Buckley album too, but mostly because i don't like him.
Quote by uhh_me?
honestly, it isn't really disruptive to reading the book. there is so much that Kafka intentionally leaves out that it actually sort of fits well.

and i've put off hearing that Jeff Buckley album too, but mostly because i don't like him.

I don't really care anymore but i hear it sucks anyway

Why is Kafka so famous? He barely wrote anything
Quote by spitonastranger
I don't really care anymore but i hear it sucks anyway

Why is Kafka so famous? He barely wrote anything

Quality over quantity, bro.

One thing Kafka has going for him is that he's pretty surreal & vague, so his work is open to a plethora of interpretation.

I read The Trial over the summer, & while I'm not opposed to reading it again (I'm sure I will at some point in my life), I don't really feel like rereading it right now. So I won't be reading along this month, I might pop in to see what y'all are saying (& maybe even say something myself), though.

Anyway, Kafka's cool, & while I prefer his shorter works, The Trial ist gut, so happy readings to you all.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quality over quantity, bro.

Guess i'm just not a big fan then

I'll see how The Trial goes.
I like Kafka so i'll check my school library once I get back there.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I'll only be able to begin participating in discussion near the end of the month, but i'll be there in time.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Where am I? And I guess I'll get started seeing as I already have the book.
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Sign me up. Been looking to read some Kafka for a while.
Call me Matthew.
Holy crap 2 days to get the book. I will launch myself tomorrow to my school library.
I'm glad this is going well. And all of you bookworms share your opinions even if you are not signed up. Maybe the regulars in the Book Thread may have some nice discussions.
If I played guitar I'd be Jimmy Page, the girlies I like are underage.
Starting now. Like at this moment.

Since I'm no longer majoring in literature, this should help me get my fix.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Oh man. Ten pages in and I'm already finding existentialism.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
add everyone new or that i missed.

Quote by blackborrego
Holy crap 2 days to get the book. I will launch myself tomorrow to my school library.
I'm glad this is going well. And all of you bookworms share your opinions even if you are not signed up. Maybe the regulars in the Book Thread may have some nice discussions.

i know, i know. 2 days isn't a whole lot of time to get the book. i did post a link in the first post to Project Gutenberg so you can read it in a bunch of e-reader formats, or just read it online there.

hopefully we can avoid having any sort of time crunch next month.

Quote by Weaponized
I remember how pissed off I got reading this book the first time, can't wait

i can't wait to find out why you got so angry about it.
Alright, I shall try and acquire this book either today or tomorrow.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Cool beans. I've already got the book and will start on it after my swim workout later.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Just found it in my dad's books. I have to do some errands so I'll start later this evening.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I'd like to sign up/join/whatever. Just downloaded the book, shall put it on my Kindle and give it a read.

Good idea, I like it.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Sign me up for it
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Is this gonna be an actual book club? Or are we just gonna bitch about other users behind their back like every other book club that has ever existed?

both? we can break out the wine and complaints while we talk about Kafka.
Hmm, my first day trying to find this book was unsuccessful. I might need to order it online, but I need to order from the States if I want an english copy, and it could take a week (probably more like 2, because nothing gets shipped quickly over here. ) to arrive. I'll try and find it again on my way back from school tuesday, but if I don't I'll probably skip this month of book discussion.
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
So it turns out I should have started reading by today. Posting to help me track this thread
Quote by Rancid Ivy
Hmm, my first day trying to find this book was unsuccessful. I might need to order it online, but I need to order from the States if I want an english copy, and it could take a week (probably more like 2, because nothing gets shipped quickly over here. ) to arrive. I'll try and find it again on my way back from school tuesday, but if I don't I'll probably skip this month of book discussion.

if you're having trouble getting a copy, try here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7849

free and all that.
Quote by uhh_me?
if you're having trouble getting a copy, try here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7849

free and all that.

Oh crap, thanks dude!

Don't scratch me off the list then, I'll be participating.
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
this is disapointing. i really don't have time to participate this month, but next month i definitely shall.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Page 1 of 3