I've kept my first guitar and never really play it anymore. Over the last nearly two years (side tracked) I accumulated the stuff to mod it and two other guitars, now it's really unplayed.

I am putting it back together and I have a pack of 10-52's lying around, will that be ok for B standard or do I need something bigger if I don't want major flop? I normally play my esquire with at least .10-.52 flats in standard.

Also it's a Squier Strat, it has a real wooden body if I remember, but could it handle that tuning and thick strings and maintain whammy use? How many spring should I use? I want this to be a kind of baritone thing to jam with my Bronco bass I'm converting to BEAD tuning.
Definitely get some thicker strings. I have .013-.062, baritone lights, on my Jazzmaster right now, doing pretty much the same thing you're trying to do. It works pretty well.

I'd say you should at least go with some .012s. The thick sound I get out of the bari strings is gorgeous though. Right now I have it tuned to CCGCGC, basically one giant power chord, but the harmonics that pop out are excellent. It's surprisingly deep and resonant. I could just flip on a bunch of pedals and stand around barring power chords all day.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by askrere
I've kept my first guitar and never really play it anymore. Over the last nearly two years (side tracked) I accumulated the stuff to mod it and two other guitars, now it's really unplayed.

I am putting it back together and I have a pack of 10-52's lying around, will that be ok for B standard or do I need something bigger if I don't want major flop? I normally play my esquire with at least .10-.52 flats in standard.

Also it's a Squier Strat, it has a real wooden body if I remember, but could it handle that tuning and thick strings and maintain whammy use? How many spring should I use? I want this to be a kind of baritone thing to jam with my Bronco bass I'm converting to BEAD tuning.

OK, I recently put 10-52 on mine and I had to reset the tremolo and lower the action a bit. There's tutorials on youtube, but if you're not happy with that, take it into your music shop and get it properly set up. I haven't tried heavier strings yet, coz I don't know how my guitar will cope with that. I think you may have problems if you try that.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I would recommend at least a 62, but I like really tight strings.

I asked a question about strings, and got recommended a bunch of sites. This one in particular is really useful for putting together your own sets.

http://www.stringsbymail.com/
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I used to put my ESP in Drop B and used Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies. The tension of heavier gauge strings will normally counteract for a lower tuning; will definitely counteract flopy strings and hold much better tonality. eg: my Fender is in 1/2 Step down standard so I used 10ga. strings. Although a dramatic change such as yours and my ESP will require at least a truss rod adjustment for neck bow. But don't expect a truss rod adjustment alone to fix all of your setup needs. Just go through a basic setup after you make the changeover. (Neck Bow, action, intonation, repeat)
I have 12-56 with a wound 3rd in B standard right now.

10s seems a bit light.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
First you need to decide on if you want a wound or a plain 4th string. Personally I prefer a wound 4th a thick plain string is just too stiff and unplayable.
Think of B standard as a 7 string set up without the high e so the gauge would be about
56 46 36 24 17 13

I used 56 44 32 28 17 13 which was great but the wound 28 was still a **** to bend and vibrato so i recommend the thinnist wound string you can get and probaly 16 and 11 for the 5th and 6th strings so thats 56 44 32 22w 16 11
enjoy
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions