I've been playing guitar now seriously 4 years and I still do enjoy it, but not sure if there are other career areas I'd enjoy more and I'm not sure if I enjoy music because I actually enjoy it or because it's something I can do somewhat well.

How did you figure out what you guys wanted to do?

What career do you do know? Are you happy with what you do? Why? Why not?
Im 22 and i still dont know what i want to do.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
It's an incredibly limited market. Unless you're exceptional you probably won't be able to form a viable career option out of it.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
tl;dr
still my answer is no.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
im 24 and stuck in an office job....probably will be for the rest of my life it pays the way though

Playing guitar is just a side thing, not sure If I wanna play big at the moment (in a band at present time) but my heart just doesn't seem set to it.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
1. See if the interest continues into college.
2. If it does, double major or major-minor in something viable that you also enjoy, and music performance.
3. Have the skills to do music for a living.
4. Try it. You'll never know until you try, and there's no shame in failing with something that limited and competitive.
5. If you have success, awesome, you're an awesome professional musician! If not, you have a viable fallback that you'll still be fine putting the majority of your working life into.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by jesse music
tl;dr

Cool story bro

Seriously. Never put all your eggs in one basket. Decide to do music as a career and get no where, and up homeless or living with your parents. Get a real job and do music on the side and still have the same chances of making it(I'm not saying that chance is 0 either).

In short, don't quit your day job kid.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I think a lot of professionals say that you have to really love it because in truth it's hard to predict when you'll get work and not, and the income varies greatly too
I'm in the Horticulture industry now, and I admit that I did just sort of fall into it. I came across a couple of jobs just after I left school that gave me a little experience and that was enough to help me get an apprenticeship. It probably helped that my grandma was a botanist too...

I started playing guitar when I was 4, so you can imagine that it seemed like something I should have done for a career, and I had the same dilemma of whether I should pursue it as a career or not. But you know? I'm glad I didn't. I definitely don't play as much guitar as I used to because I study and am usually exhausted from work when I get home. I use it as something unwind and relax, but if it was my job, I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it anymore.

I think only people with real talent should go after it as an occupation, regardless of how much you love it. Whatever you do in life, you can always play guitar and enjoy it as much as always, so if I was making the decision for you, I think you should keep it as a hobby that you love.
Myself? Early in high school I developed a passion for sciences and physics in particular. I then decided to take an applied approach to that and now I'm an engineering major and am currently loving it. I really like music and playing but I'm not too fond of the non-recreational work involved with it, so I could just never see myself making a career out of it.
I work in an office job doing marketing research and Im only 18 and in college.... Its what I want to do for the rest of my life. Keeps me busy and is very interesting. Sometimes I play guitar for funerals and get paid and I do get royalty checks for other things Ive done on a larger scale, but I see guitar as something more sacred. I always told myself not to let money get involved with music. The music industry is business, and it just doesnt feel right to me that way. I just play guitar the second I get home from work everyday, its like my gateway I suppose. No meetings, no reports, no regulations, just letting myself out on the guitar. You obviously enjoy music just for the hell of it, if you only liked it because you can play well then you wouldve quit much earlier when you sucked and were still learning. The music industry is very selective and unforgiving, Id stay away from it unless it offers you an oppurtunity, but its your decision, we cant tell you what you should do because its whatever you want to do. Best of luck.
I'd say:

If you can write 2 complete songs (meaning chords, instrumentation and even lyrics) every month, you're doing quite well.
If you're unsure if your songs are any good, post them on UG and let us decide.

If you're only a guitar player (as in "lead guitar shReddZ0r") then you should definitely get a band to back you up and do the songwriting (chords, lyrics) for you.
The best way to find out what you want to do is try a lot of things!

You won't know what you really like until you gain that experience, I'm about to start my last year of Univ for a computer administration course because I had and interest and went with it.

Don't think about it from a academic standpoint, because when I was look for a major they where often vague and poorly described.

If you find something really enjoyable then give it a go be it cooking, music, electronics then do the research to find a program that fit's that interest. Even if it doesn't work out don't worry about it, I can grantee that just like practicing guitar "learning" will never be a waste of your time as long as you put the effort in.
ITT: Everyone in the pit is famous and knows the answers to all of your problems.

TS, go out and act like a rockstar.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Some of the best advice I've ever been given on UG: Flip a coin on it. If you find you are unhappy with the result the coin gave you, you now know what you want.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I've been pretty lucky. I'm a DJ on a rock radio station so I get to work in an area of the music industry and pursue music with my band.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
if you want money/a career, then no

If you don't want to give up on it then do something more stable in uni/college and pursue musical stuff in your spare time. Practice, form a band, record music and promote yourselves as much as you can to get gigs and if you get a decent amount of fans or exposure, you might get a deal. Then you may be able to treat music as something much more than a hobby.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
if you want money/a career, then no

If you don't want to give up on it then do something more stable in uni/college and pursue musical stuff in your spare time. Practice, form a band, record music and promote yourselves as much as you can to get gigs and if you get a decent amount of fans or exposure, you might get a deal. Then you may be able to treat music as something much more than a hobby.

Even though I agree with this and I hold this mentality, I don't think it's generally a good attitude and definitely doesn't apply to everyone. Many people aren't fit for uni/college (no, intelligence has nothing to do with this, it's just not for these people) and many musicians have other jobs on the side.
I'd stop loving it so much if I had deadlines, responsibilities, and had to endure critics; if it became "work".

It's the same with my Art degree, useless. I couldn't draw or play for a living, i'd lend up hating it.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

my career will be in physics but i play music as a hobby. if music randomly gets big, il make room.
if in doubt, don't
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Career=Luthier
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.